• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too many options/senarios...can't decide!

d4est

<font color=orange><b>The Tag Fairy is really Ghos
Okay, looking for some opinions. I am attempting to plan our first family vacation to WDW for next year, most likely Feb. pres week. I just can't decide on the where to stay issue. On site or off????

I am budgeting for about $2500 for 2 adults and 1 child (8). I would like to stay onsite for convenience, but want the most bang for my buck. The past 2 years we have stayed in really nice hotels (see sig) and we like it. I am not sure if we would be happy at one of the WDW value resorts...they kinda seem like glorified motel rooms. BUT, if we stay onsite, that is probably all we could afford. That is, unless, we got a good code or something for a mod.

I have looked into skyauction (seems like a great value) but then we would need a rental car. Have also looked into a timeshare deal thru fairfield.

My budget looks something like this:
2500-700 (approx for airfare)=1800
1800-500 (food) = 1300
1300-655 (park tix)= 645
So, I have 645 left. If I stay offsite I need a car so take off $200, leaving
445. Enough for something on sky auction etc. If onsite, I can only get a room (5 nights) for $645 or less.

What would you do for your first trip? Will I be happy at a value? Will dis magic make up for the value "motel" room at dis? I just don't know!

Any advice? TIA :teeth:

Where would you be flying from? If you watch the fare sales you should be able to get it cheaper than your estimate. Currently, there are fares under $100 roundtrip from citeis where Southwest flies and fares from as far away as the west coast are as low as $200. Also, WDW often offers special rates depending on time of year. You may be able to stay in a mdoerate from less than $100 per night. Your best bet is to keep an eye on these boards as well as some other WDW planning web sites like www.mousesavers.com .

Thanks for the response. We are flying from Albany or Syracuse NY. This past Feb prices were crazy ($178/OW, southwest) so I am not going to budget for anything less...will probably need more, lol.

I am now considering purchasing a child's AP and hope for a good discount. A mod for around $80/night would be perfect!

I get the mousesavers newsletter and check other sources as well. I am just torn on the onsite/offsite issue. Convenience v. "bang for the buck" nice resort lilke Vistana etc.

d4est said:
Convenience v. "bang for the buck" nice resort lilke Vistana etc.
We stayed at Vistana and were not impressed at all - maybe because they put us all the way in the back in the older part. Remember that staying on-site now has even more perks like the free shuttle service from the airport when flying on participating airlines and the late extra magic park hours.

d4est said:
Thanks for the response. We are flying from Albany or Syracuse NY. This past Feb prices were crazy ($178/OW, southwest) so I am not going to budget for anything less...will probably need more, lol.

I am now considering purchasing a child's AP and hope for a good discount. A mod for around $80/night would be perfect!

I get the mousesavers newsletter and check other sources as well. I am just torn on the onsite/offsite issue. Convenience v. "bang for the buck" nice resort lilke Vistana etc.

i recently read that disney will not give the AP discount to a child AP holder... it has to be the person paying (and unless your kid is one of the olsen twins, chances are good he/she cannot afford to send mom/dad on a wdw vacation!) it might be worth it to check, just in case!

I would take the value onsite anyday over offsite. Just my personal opinion. We are DVC members but have stayed in other resorts as well. Presidents week is very busy, by staying onsite you'll get the extra magic hours which in my opinion you will need that week. We tried pop century, it was basic, but it was clean, the food court was very good, and you get all the transportation perks of being onsite. No need to rent a car, and you'll be able to take advantage of Magical express to get you to your resort from the airport. My girls loved it. We mostly just slept there anyway. I've done off site and been sitting on I4 at midnight with traffic at a dead stand still. Nothing like being in a Disney resort and riding that bus back to your room and hopping into bed while others are still stuck in traffic in the surrounding areas. Hope you have fun whatever you decide. I think you'll have good luck getting some type of code rate for that time of year if you try.

Could you change your dates?? Being a holiday week, I'm sure airfare is more $$$. Just took 5 of us down this Jan for a total of $800 (NWA out of Detroitmetro).

IMHO, there is no comparison for staying onsite. Even the values are better than anything offsite. The extra perks(EMH, buses, no rental car $$, the "magic") are too nice to stay anywhere else. Your 8 yr old will absolutely love it.

More replies...thanks! I really do think I would rather be onsite, but would really prefer a mod or better. I am leaning toward getting the child's AP and hoping for a good discount. If I go for onsite, I will probably use a TA so I have an expert watching those codes for me.

I can't change the dates. I am a teacher and my vacations are planned for me, lol. Otherwise I would definitely go in April or May when it is a little warmer.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the imput.

Stay on site at a moderate.It is so worth it.We have stayed a Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs and loved them both.We tried All Stars but they are not for us.Perhaps you won't need a rental car as Magical Express will transport you to and from the airport for free next year. This is exactly what we will be doing next year. On site the Disney transportation system is good and gives DH a rest from driving!

:Pinkbounc You should try and stay on site especaially the week of presidents. Not having to worry about transfer from airport and the extra hours at the parks will more than make up the cost.

Thanks! I am now seriously considering renting points for a studio at OKW or the Boardwalk Villas. If I could get a studio for 5 days (Sun-thurs) for around $600 I would be pleased. I think I will miss housekeeping, but I wouldn't get that thru an offsite resort (ie Vistana) anyway. I would be onsite, have nicer than value, and still stay around the price I can live with. I am also bumping my budget up by $100.

2600-700 (air)=1900
1900-600 (DVC pts)=1300
1300-655 (hoppers)=645
645-500 (food)=145 (spending/souvies)

How's that? We will have extra $ in our account (tax return time!!) in case we need it, but I like to try and stick to a solid number. I like that most of this will be paid for BEFORE we go. If I am not laying out tons when we get there, it almost feels like it is free. Weird, huh?

Just my two cents, but, you will be so glad you rented points to stay at a nicer resort. With the values not have codes right now, five nights on rented points at the OKW is cheaper than a value room at the All-stars... :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter