Too Fat for Disney World?

billaroxilver

Earning My Ears
I am still trying to find a good answer =-)

My family (mom, sister, hubby, DD(6) ) travel to WDW in 2 weeks.

My sister is pretty obese (5'7" ~300-310#) with ~56" hips? She is a size 24/26. My daughter is pretty set on her riding dumbo at MK with her when we go, and the teacups but I am not sure that she will fit.

Any suggestions? I'd hate for her to be embarrassed. I would like to try to talk my daughter out of this if I need to, before hand so there is no scene. Is there any other rides she will need to stay away from? I heard Sum of all Thrills is pretty much a no go.

Thanks everyone. I want to make this a special trip for us. My DD(6) and my sister (who is 8 years younger than me) have never been to WDW. She is already self conscious as it is and I'd rather her not be embarrassed there.

Unfortunately, I have personal experience with this. That being said, I doubt it will be an issue for much of anything at Disney World, they are very good about working with larger guests. The one attraction that MAY be an issue to the point that she can't ride is Soarin'. Also, you may find that she will need to ask for the transfer car at Haunted Mansion, due to how the lap bars work on that car vs. other cars.

Star Tours has a seat designed for wheelchair transfers, but also makes it easier on larger people to sit, if they open the side, let her sit down and buckle up. I don't find this to be an issue for me, but it's an option.

The biggest issue will be getting the seat belt to fit on rides with belts, just remember that most attractions with belts have extenders available upon request (yes, you usually have to ask for them, even if the CM sees that the seat belt isn't fitting). Also, on rides with seat belts, she should pull them all the way out before sitting down.

In theaters, if she is finding it uncomfortable, she should look for the transfer seats and put the arms up.

I think pretty much everything else will be fine, but a few places may be slightly uncomfortable.

I'm 6 ft tall 415lbs waist size 56. However, I can ride everything at WDW. Soarin has never been an issue, the tea cups are tight but I fit, goofy's coaster is fun to ride with the kids, dumbo was easy to get into but astro orbiter is very hard to climb in and out of. Never ridden sum of all thrills but the simulator at disney quest is too small for me.

Just got back from WDW on easter morning, some rides are tight or awkward to get into but I was always able to ride.

If you are going to Universal then many ride will be an issue. But many have test cars outside of the ride.

From the latest edition of the Unofficial Guide (shortened for info relevant to your post):
"Walt Disney World realizes that its guests come in all shapes and sizes and is quite accommodating... Not all attractions have the same types of vehicles or seating... Check out allears.net for ride seating details... Some attractions have seat belt extenders—ask a CM about these. Several attractions offer a sample ride vehicle for you to try out before you get in line. These are usually discreetly out of view of the general public; ask a CM for its location."​

Hope that is helpful!

I am 5'6" and weigh 348 pounds. Thanks for the info posted here.

Leslie

Disney is the most accommodating theme park for heavier people ive ever been to. Universal and Six Flags are very one body type minded, but Disney is awesome. I've never had a problem, and I am 'pooh sized.'

I used to weigh 310 (now 240--yay!) and my tip concerning seatbelts is to puul the seat belt out fully BEFORE sitting down. Then you can pull the belt across the stomach and lock it down. It was helpful to have someone seated next to me to latch it since I could not see the latch mechanism.

I rode the teacups (tight fit getting into the cup, but okay after that), Soarin', Dumbo (I rode alone, but a small child would probably fit alongside).
The atro orbitors and Space Mountain are tough getting in and out of, but okay otherwise.

Some rides have a test car outside that you can use to see how tight it will be. Just ask the inital CM if one is available.
Also, if an attraction has a tight turnstile, ask to use the wheelchair gate instead.

Primeval Whirl at AK was extremely painful since the ride cars had a molded area for riders' bottoms and mine didn't fit. I ended up very black and blue around the hips from this ride and avoid it now at all costs.

Disney is the most accommodating theme park for heavier people ive ever been to. Universal and Six Flags are very one body type minded, but Disney is awesome. I've never had a problem, and I am 'pooh sized.'

Since the OP seems to have been answered I'll go a little OT.
I (5-10, 270#) went to Universal last year and was able to ride everything except for the Harry Potter ride and the Superman (or spiderman or someone else) roller coaster. On both of these rides, they had a test seat out front where the cast member will help you test to see if the restraint will lock. I wasn't even close. The sweet little CM told me that it was my broad shoulders that was the problem. :thumbsup2 LOL, thanks, I'll just go with that.
The Harry potter dragon ride coaster thing has a row of larger seats. I barely fit into one of those. It wasnn't latching so I told the CM to lean into it. He did and it latched. Big mistake. I could barely breathe and didn't enjoy it at all.

I am a big girl too (size 26) and can ride everything @ all disney parks, they r very pooh friendly, in case u have not seen it there is a thread for us pooh sized visitors. My last visit I rode the teacups and dumbo with my nephew with plenty of room to spare ! I have never been, nor anyone with me had any embarrassing ride issues @ disney, they r very accommodating.::yes::

I just want to say thank you to everyone who answered. I am obese, and this is a very sensitive and embarrassing topic for me, especially because I'll be traveling with 9 other "normal" people.

One thing to be aware of is that there are a few rides where two people have to share the same lap bar, like Thunder Mountain. I rode with a friend one time who is larger. Because the lap bar went down only as far as the height of her thighs, it didn't touch my legs at all. I didn't feel unsafe, even though the lap bar wasn't holding me down -- but I did slide around a lot! Something to be aware of!

One thing to be aware of is that there are a few rides where two people have to share the same lap bar, like Thunder Mountain. I rode with a friend one time who is larger. Because the lap bar went down only as far as the height of her thighs, it didn't touch my legs at all. I didn't feel unsafe, even though the lap bar wasn't holding me down -- but I did slide around a lot! Something to be aware of!

Yes, please be aware that some love riding like this, as they get extra air time and others hate it, so if the people you are with do not like the extra air time, ask for your own row on these attractions.

Teacup tip - instead of trying to "walk thru the little doorway" try stepping up on the floor of the teacup doorway with one foot, shift abdominal bulk (if it applies) over the top of the door area then complete getting into the teacup, reverse the process to get out.
Soaring has never been an issue to me (same size as OP) once I read about pulling the belt out fully before sitting down and having someone else secure it although I can secure it myself if I am alone.
Dumbo - I find the teacup approach easier to get and out with, and Dumbo will hold 2 Pooh sized woman - with much laughter, an extender and the assurance that we both could ride, we tried telling the CM it wouldn't work! We laughed so much that we about peed in our pants, poor Dumbo struggled to rise in the air but he got us there, being the faithful elephant that he is! The whole ride I was saying "we killed Dumbo", the CM was almost rolling on the floor he was laughing so hard!

From everything I've read on the "Pooh Sized" thread, I don't think you have much to worry about! Unfortunately, the Tea Cups will be closed on while your family (and my family) is there. Bummer. :( Have a great trip anyway!

Quick note for larger or taller folks riding Primeval Whirl at AK (daughter loves that ride) , those molded backs of the seats in the car come up about 3/4 of the way up my back, and being slammed back into that multiple times on each ride can be painful!

Quick note for larger or taller folks riding Primeval Whirl at AK (daughter loves that ride) , those molded backs of the seats in the car come up about 3/4 of the way up my back, and being slammed back into that multiple times on each ride can be painful!

That WHOLE ride is painful but so much fun! As bruised and sore as I come out of as a Pooh sized woman, I can only imagine what a smaller person would look like afterward! I missed being able to ride it last fall but I was only 6 months post back surgery at the time and I didn't think it was safe for me to ride at that time. That ride is one of the few that keep me laughing from start to finish!

Thank you for this thread <3

My kids and I are going for the first time and I am Pooh sized.. DH is not and kids are 8 and 5. I would hate for my size to ruin any part of this surprise, this thread has made me feel better.

***pixie dust to all ***

Thanks so much everyone! This makes me feel a lot better and once I tell her I am sure my sister will feel better and have a bit less anxiety about going! We can't wait! 11 days left!

Thanks too all on this thread.

I went back to Disney for the first time in almost 25yrs. I was very apprehensive about going and being able to enjoy myself. I found myself leading up too the vacation checking the internet about being big and going to Disney. I found this thread and it gave me the positive reassurance that i would be able to have a good time.

I am happy to say i had no issues at all, and to be honest it really is a judgement free place. I was able to ride everything i wanted to go on and did not have any issues. The Haunted Mansion and Ariel's Undersea ride was the only one i had the brief moment of fear thinking the bar would not be able to close. Unfortunately i did not get to do Soaring or Test Track at Epcot because the wait time was over 120 mins, so i can not say it would fit with out any issues but i feel confident i would have been fine.

We went for Mickey's not so scary and it was a blast. I would recommend it if you have not attended yet. Already planning my next trip!

The only one that ever concerns me is Sum of All Thrills. My rear end just barely squeezes into that seat. I'm 5'6" and 220lbs, but it's still a tight fit. No other rides have ever given me any trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter