Tonga Toast! What is it?

northern michigan

Mouseketeer
I remember reading how every one loves tonga toast. What is it? I read you should try it plain before pouring syrup on it. My mouth has been watering since I read this last week. :hyper: Is it available at the resort food courts???

Here is the description from the Kona Cafe menu at the Poly:

Tonga Toast - banana stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar with choice of ham, bacon, or sausage $7.99

Not sure if it's available elsewhere. Even if it is, it wouldn't taste as good as there.

HBC

Its only available at the Kona Cafe (although someone else has something similar). Its intensely rich and intensely sweet and intensely greasy - but very good.

Take a very thick slice of sourdough break. cut a slit along the side and stuff bananas in. Dip in egg. Then deep fry it. And coat the whole thing liberally with cinnamon sugar.

The Kona Cafe is the "fancy" restaurant in the Poly resort.

I had this for breakfast in June. When the waitress brought it out she cautioned me to try it before adding any syrup. Good idea! The sweetness/greasiness of the toast itself pretty much makes adding any syrup a baaaaad idea (and I have a sweet tooth too)!

It was very good, however I only finished about 1/2 of it .. probably less. The waitress wasn't surprised by that, either, so I guess that happens to a lot of people (?). Maybe order it to share?

It was great, and I would recommend it, although I probably won't be ordering it again for a few years. ;)

IMO - Tonga toast is definately worth ordering once == and sharing with your family or friends! it's very large and heavy. My DD doesn't like bananas and had one made with apples, it was yummy as well.

try the fruit platter at Kona -- it was fabulous!

The recipe was in Disney Magazine a few years ago.

I would say, Its magical! I'm allergic to Banannas, and I'll still eat it! Totally worth the hives!

IT IS WONDERFUL!!! (and you don't need syrup). :D

TC:cool:

My wife and myself have it on every trip. Kona Cafe is a great place for breakfast, everything we have tried has been really good. We always have breakfast than take the walkway over to the Grand Floridian resort and look around before heading to the MK or Epcot

Originally posted by ohMom
My DD doesn't like bananas and had one made with apples, it was yummy as well.

try the fruit platter at Kona -- it was fabulous!

They will do this for you? I think I would love the apple version of Tonga Toast.

Tink

What is Tonga toast? It is to die for. Contrary to a previous poster, I would say Kona Cafe is close to a Denny's with much better food. O'Hana is the "fancy" Poly restaurant.

Tonga Toast is certainly worth a try. It is really rich, and depending on how much "sweet" you can take for breakfast, it's really good. I had it a couple of times, but switched to eggs benedict. Sometimes if there is a bite of off Tonga toast left, DW let's me have it:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter