• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tonga Toast or bust!

I am already debating this myself...and the trip is 9 months away!

My solution is to make DH order one and i'll order the other. He already said he would, but if he looks at the menu and decides he really wants something else, I'll just get both! It wouldn't be the first time I ordered two breakfasts ;)

I am going to Kona for the first time on the last day of my upcoming vacation and I can't wait to have the Tonga Toast but those pancakes sound so good too. I have already told DH that he has to order them so that I can try them too. I'm not letting him look at the menu! I don't want him changing my plan!! :rotfl:

Hello everyone,

Why do we have such dilemma's about what to get :scratchin I'm in the middle of a crisis I tell you and it's all about what to order at Kona Cafe for breakfast! So Tonga Toast or Macadamia Nut Pancakes what do ya'll think? I've never been for breakfast but I've been twice for dinner and I've been really really wanting to go for both of these breakfasts but not sure what to order and trust me if I don't decide now I'll drive my friend and the server crazy :rotfl:

Opinions wanted/needed!! Thanks.

Big Kahuna !!! Press Pot---- juice--- aaahhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh crap....completely forgot the Macadamia Pancakes!!! I love them. Now, I have to go make an ADR for Kona for my stay next month!!!! Geez.

Oh, and the Big Kahuna is awesome. You could just order the kahuna or pancakes and go downstairs to Capt Cooks and buy the Tonga Toast for $5. Heck, just order both. IIRC all the breakfast plates are around $10-12.

I like the Tonga Toast, but LOVED the pineapple pancakes! YUMMY! But, the best meal is when I get the pancakes and my husband gets the Samoan and we share! That is the perfect combo of sweet and savory!

The Tonga Toast is great and I am glad I tried it, but it is just very heavy. The pancakes are light and the nut and pineapple combo is just perfect. The Samoan gives you some protein and some saltiness and the smoked pork is just delicious!

OT, but is the pineapple on the macadamia nut pancakes just crushed pineapple? I've never tried them. You all are making me want to make them this weekend. None of the recipes I've found mention the pineapple.

I have been having the same struggle!!! I really don't want to split, either...I'm a food hoarder! What if I really like one that much better than the other? I guess I'll have to order both. (Yes, my trip is 6 mos away and I'm already deciding what to order!)

I often choose two things & have DH order one of them. He gets the one I like the least. It's a good thing he'll eat almost anything. :laughing:

OP, try to have your friend order the one you don't. If he/she prefers proteins for breakfast, you could give them the meat from both dishes & order a side order of eggs.

Success :worship: my friend has agreed to split the pancakes and the tonga toast YAY!!! Now she better not change her mind ;)

I thought I couldn't like anything more than Tonga Toast..until I tried those pancakes. OMG! They are incredible and have become my new go to meal at Kona. :thumbsup2

dizprincess27 said:
Success :worship: my friend has agreed to split the pancakes and the tonga toast YAY!!! Now she better not change her mind ;)

YAY!!! Tonga Toast and macadamia pancakes for all! :lmao:

I was going to suggest just ordering both, too. I mean, the TT is so big our server said "here's your half a loaf of bread", so you probably wouldn't be able to finish it, but still, it's vacation, so why not?

Now, we always order a side of some sort of eggs, for protein along with it (we are vegetarian so don't get the meat), to sort of help control the blood sugar rush, LOL.

tarheelmjfan said:
OT, but is the pineapple on the macadamia nut pancakes just crushed pineapple? I've never tried them. You all are making me want to make them this weekend. None of the recipes I've found mention the pineapple.

Kinda, it's warm crushed pineapple with macadamia nut butter on top. No need for syrup!

Ok, after reading this thread I just booked an ADR for Kona for my trip in Oct! Since I'll be going solo, I guess I'll have the daunting task of choosing between the Tonga toast and the macadamia pancakes! I'm glad I have lots of time to think about it! LOL!

Yes!! Tonga Toast is also available at Captain Cook's in the Polynesian. I LOVE the pancakes...I'm getting them when we go in May and going to cook's to get the Toast one morning! Win-win!!

Exactly what I was going to say, we are staying at the Poly this trip and I plan on going to Kona's one day for Breakfast and Cap'ts Cooks a few days.

I often choose two things & have DH order one of them. He gets the one I like the least. It's a good thing he'll eat almost anything. :laughing:

OP, try to have your friend order the one you don't. If he/she prefers proteins for breakfast, you could give them the meat from both dishes & order a side order of eggs.

Good idea! DH will more than likely go along with it...I'll play the "But it's my birthday" card, too! ;)

Hello everyone,

Why do we have such dilemma's about what to get :scratchin I'm in the middle of a crisis I tell you and it's all about what to order at Kona Cafe for breakfast! So Tonga Toast or Macadamia Nut Pancakes what do ya'll think? I've never been for breakfast but I've been twice for dinner and I've been really really wanting to go for both of these breakfasts but not sure what to order and trust me if I don't decide now I'll drive my friend and the server crazy :rotfl:

Opinions wanted/needed!! Thanks.

Definitely Tonga Toast ... Amazing!

IMGP0996 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

And for the PP ... the Samoan ... (also VERY good)

IMGP0995 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

Kinda, it's warm crushed pineapple with macadamia nut butter on top. No need for syrup!

Thanks for the info. There's a recipe for the butter. I just needed to know what to do with the pineapple & you've been very helpful. :thumbsup2

Good idea! DH will more than likely go along with it...I'll play the "But it's my birthday" card, too! ; )

It's always nice to have a card in reserve to use whenever you need it. :rolleyes1

That's good you're able to split with someone. I couldn't decide between the two either, and went with the Tonga Toast. I didn't care for it and was wishing I went for the pancakes then!

That's good you're able to split with someone. I couldn't decide between the two either, and went with the Tonga Toast. I didn't care for it and was wishing I went for the pancakes then!

This is exactly the problem Fan of Figment. . . I'm afraid that after all the hype I won't like TT and I'm more sure that I'll like the pancakes. See I've been burned before I even started a thread about it a few weeks ago entitled "I wanted to like but didn't" and most of those things were dessert type of dishes although VN also applied unfortunately. I just hate being disappointed too such a letdown after drooling all those months :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter