Tokyo Disney Trip Report - June 2011

txmama

Earning My Ears
Hi all! We recently visited Tokyo Disney and I thought I would write a trip report. I have never done one before so bear with me. We had an amazing time. We have only visited Disneyworld once (I know!), and have never been to Disneyland. But, we had such a wonderful time at the World on our trip in December that when we were in Japan for work this summer, we knew we also had to visit Tokyo Disney!

We were able to do a nice tour of the major cities in Japan - including time in Kobe, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Kyoto - in addition to Tokyo. It was a wonderful trip. But I'll focus here on the Disney part, of course!

The characters - me, the mom; DH, the dad; DD8, and DS5. None of us speak Japanese, although DH, through about six months of work, had memorized enough characters to sound out place names and other words pretty well. The key phrases we used most were: "Are-ee-gah-toe go-sigh-ee-moss" which is the most polite form of "thank you" and also "soo-me-mass-sen" which means "excuse me."

Up first: the journey!

We were flying from Texas to Tokyo. There are direct flights but it was considerably cheaper to stop in California on our way, and with an 8-year-old and 5-year-old I thought it made sense to break up the trip. So we had a reasonable layover in Los Angeles on the way. The entire journey, from our house to the airport hotel, would take about 24 hours.

japan 009 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

This is shortly before DS5 spilled Strawberry Nesquik all over DS8. Luckily, we had packed a carry-on bag with changes of clothes for everyone (highly recommended!).

We flew the trans-Pacific leg with Singapore Airlines, which I highly recommend! Not only do they have special children's meals, but they also pass out activity packets to the kids after takeoff.

japan 014 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

The food was outstanding. We had two full meals on the roughly 11-hour flight over - plus snacks and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Each seat has its own entertainment system with movies and tv on demand, plus video games. The kids were in heaven, and it kept DH and I entertained. The kids slept for about five hours on the flight, although neither DH nor I could manage sleep. I was really dreading the flight (we've never done one that long; especially with kids), but it was as pleasant as possible.

We were the only cheesy tourists doing this!

japan 016 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

We landed about 7pm local time (5am our time!) and headed to the Narita airport Hilton to sleep. The next day we were traveling to Kobe on the bullet train - Disney was at the end of our trip. But as it's a ways to the Disney hotels by bus or train from Narita airport, I would recommend sleeping at an airport hotel when you arrive. I would estimate the round trip is about 2 hours by train or 1.5 hours by bus to Tokyo Disney, so just factor that in. Taxis are available but would cost upwards of $200 for that distance. The train would cost about $50 (taking the Narita Express to Tokyo Station, then the Keiyo line to Maihama, where you pick up the Disney monorail). And buses are about $30 although there may be a free Disney bus to the official Disney hotels, I don't know. Because we were doing so much train travel across Japan, we purchased JR Rail Passes - which are expensive but worth it if you'll be riding bullet trains and subways a lot, which we did. The Narita Express is included in the JR Rail Pass, as is the Keiyo subway line out to Maihama.

In the morning (we woke up around 4am but had to wait until 6:30am for the hotel breakfast!) we took the hotel bus back to the airport, where we turned in our JR Rail Pass vouchers (you have to purchase them before arriving in Japan, and you turn in your voucher when you arrive) and got tickets for the Narita Express into central Tokyo.

It was a little daunting navigating at first to find the right train.

japan 035 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

But DS5 luckily spotted this!

japan 034 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

I have to say that we were very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to navigate around the country. Except in the more remote areas, train station signs and train announcements are in Japanese and English. And the trains are amazing - pristine, quiet, and efficient, and they run on time to the minute! The hardest part might have been trying to keep the children reasonably quiet on the trains - an important cultural norm in Japan. There is very little talking, and definitely no talking on cell phones, on trains. Also, one does not lie down or put shoes on the seats! If kids get on their knees to look out the windows, you'll see mothers take their kids' shoes off.

Here they are waiting for the Narita Express.

japan 041 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

For this train, and also the Shinkansen (bullet trains), you get reserved seats with a car number and seat numbers printed on your tickets. So you find your correct car number on the platform, and form a line there. It's all very orderly.

japan 037 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

There is a nice snack cart on the Narita Express. Here were our options!

japan 049 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

So if you were going straight to Disney on the train, you would switch to the Keiyo Line at Tokyo Station and ride it out about six stops to Maihama, then purchase tickets (I'd get a multiple day pass) for the monorail. It was about $17 for an adult, four-day monorail pass and half that for the kids (under six are free). The monorail makes four stops in a continuous loop - the Resort Gateway Station (which is the connection with the Maihama subway JR Station), Disneyland, the Bayside Station, which is the official resort hotels station (which are different than the Disney hotels, of which there are three), and DisneySea.

Next time, we'll pick up at the end of our trip when we actually head to Disney. Stay tuned! The parks - especially Disney Sea -- are just incredible!! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! What a great experience for your family!

I look forward to rest of your trip report, particularly since DW and I are leaving for our first trip to Japan in two days. Like you, we will be visiting Tokyo and Disney last (after Kyoto and some other areas in central Japan).

How were the crowds at Disney? We've done a lot of planning, but please let us know if you have key pointers based on your recent visit.

I'm in too! We're thinking of going to Japan in a couple years and we'd love to hit Tokyo Disney while we're there too.

We just left yesterday and had a blast. I'm trying to get my post counts up so I can post a trip report with photos as well.

Thanks for doing a TR. I'm hoping to make it over there soon.

I'm particularly interested in the weather while you were there. I hadn't really been considering May or June, because of the heat, but if it wasn't too terribly bad I might reconsider.

How were the crowds at Disney? We've done a lot of planning, but please let us know if you have key pointers based on your recent visit.

The crowds were really variable. We were there on a Friday and Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday, and a Monday. Friday afternoon, for some reason, was the least-crowded time. We went on Pooh's Hunny Hunt at about 4pm with only a 10-minute wait. We also did Monsters' Inc with about a 15-minute wait. Disney Sea was crowded every time we were there. But, it did not feel more crowded to me than EPCOT during our early December visit last year - to give you a sense of what I mean by crowded!

At rope drop on Sunday and Monday mornings, there were long lines and lots of people waiting, way more than in the U.S. But, everyone was orderly going to the rides and it wasn't a big deal. Hope this helps!

Thanks for doing a TR. I'm hoping to make it over there soon.

I'm particularly interested in the weather while you were there. I hadn't really been considering May or June, because of the heat, but if it wasn't too terribly bad I might reconsider.

May should be lovely! June can be hot and humid, but it wasn't for us. It was lovely and cool - albeit rainy a few times. Rain gear is a must in June in Japan. But I was chilly while we waited for Fantasmic at Disney Sea!

What a great day, I discovered 2 TDL TR in one day, yeah for me. Can't wait to read more. I can't wait for my trip :banana::banana::banana:

There are three "on-property" hotels at Tokyo Disney, all of which are incredibly nice and very expensive (on the order of $600 per night when I checked). So we opted for the more reasonably-priced Hilton Tokyo Bay, which was about $250/night but also included dinner and breakfast for two adults. And, it is one of the 'official' hotels on the monorail, so it was very easy to get back and forth from the parks. There is a shuttle bus to the monorail stop, but it was literally just walking alongside the parking lot and then crossing a street to get to the stop, so we only took the bus once when it was raining.

When we got off the Keiyo line and switched to the Disney monorail, there was a little bit of excitement building!

japan8 005 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

The monorails are so cute with Mickey windows and even Mickey hanging straps (what are those things called?)!

japan8 008 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

This is a view of the courtyard (from the monorail) of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, which is just gorgeous. It is a 2-minute walk from the gates of TDL.

japan8 035 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

We also got a peek into TDL while we were on the monorail.

japan8 013 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Then we got to the Bayside Station, and walked the five minutes to the entrance of the Hilton. I should have mentioned that we had "Takubined" our luggage to the hotel - door to door luggage service is commonly used in Japan because there is not a ton of storage on trains. It cost only about $40 to ship our large bag and was there in less than 24 hours. Something to consider for your own trip.

You know how when you're trying to check into a hotel after a long day and the kids are driving you crazy? Well, the Hilton has you covered with this kids' area directly across from registration!

japan8 016 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Just be sure your kids take their shoes off! Very important in Japan! We had booked a Happy Family Magic Room, which had four twin beds (twins are sort of the thing in Japan). I really didn't know what that meant initially. But when we checked in, the kids were given letters from Tiara, a special character who wrote that the kids were going to find some magic items in the room! Well, as you can see, they were very excited!

japan8 017 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

They raced upstairs, where we were greeted by possibly the coolest elevator lobby ever!

japan8 030 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Our room was the frog room.

japan8 018 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

It was so adorable inside!

japan8 025 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

japan8 026 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

There was a magic gate on the wall - with a key. When you put the key into the lock, it played music and flashed lights. It was a hit. As you will no doubt notice during this trip report, my kids are sort of hams for the camera.

japan8 020 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

The magic mirror was the best - push a button and Tiara appears and music plays! I love the looks on their faces here.

japan8 027 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was lovely. I highly recommend the Hilton. The only downside was that the food in the hotel was very expensive -- like $9 Cokes and $18-30 for each kids' meal. So just be warned about that. Everything else was perfect. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby as well as a Disney merchandise store and a large convenience store with prepared foods and other necessities.

Up next - we purchase our tickets and visit TDL for the first time! Thanks for reading everyone!

WOW!! your kids must of just adored the room... how neat! Keep the story coming :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading everyone! Glad you are enjoying it! Working on it is helping me to get over my jetlag (which is so much worse in the coming-home direction, oy).

I think because we bounced back and forth from park to park that it will be easier to just start with TDL and then move to Disney Sea. So you'll note that clothes, weather, and time of day will be changing in odd ways...but I think it will be more organized this way!

Most importantly - I forgot earlier - the view from our room was awesome! Lovely Tokyo Bay and Tokyo beyond.

japan11 003-1 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

On our way back to the monorail, we came across the very cute resort bus.

japan8 015 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

There was quite a bit of anticipation building up!

japan8 034 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Here is a better shot of the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

japan8 002 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

There were gorgeous flowers in the entrance. Even though it was June, the park was still celebrating Easter. A little odd, but we went with it!

japan10 059 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

As soon as we got through the gates of TDL, there were characters everywhere!

japan8 037 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

japan8 039 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

We never saw a long line to meet a character except for Donald Duck, who is apparently quite the favorite over here. Princesses are definitely not as big a deal in Japan.

japan8 041 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Here is the view down "Main Street" toward the castle! It's covered here, and in a cross-shape - with shops up and down the street and the two side streets.

japan8 044 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

It was remarkably un-crowded on this Friday afternoon, so we were able to ride Monsters, Inc. Ride & Go Seek with only a 15-minute wait (which we never saw again the whole time we were there!). I thought it was just OK - although we aren't super-familiar with the characters so that would probably help. We also didn't figure out what we were supposed to do with our flashlights (shine them on the scenes to wake up the animatronics) until near the end, so it was partially our fault. There was no denying the beauty of the attraction though!

Here is the dome for the queue.

japan8 050 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

And the desk.

japan8 051 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

And a couple of scenes from inside the ride.

japan8 052 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

japan8 055 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Then we headed right to Star Tours - DH and DS are huge Star Wars fans, and we'd actually never gotten to experience it before. We enjoyed it, although I'm looking forward to experiencing the revamped version at DHS. We waited only about 5 minutes.

japan8 047 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

japan8 045 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

I had read about super long waits at Pooh's Hunny Hunt and also that it was an awesome ride, so we headed back to Fantasyland next. For some inexplicable reason, the wait was just 15 minutes, so we hopped in line.

japan10 021 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

I had to sort of sell the kids on this one because they think they are too cool for Pooh. I think I don't need to mention that they begged to go on it again right afterwards!

japan10 022 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

The queue is gorgeously designed. There's even a beautiful garden in the middle.

japan10 024 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

japan10 027 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

I love how the archway looks like pages.

japan10 028 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Rabbit's House

japan10 025 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

The ride vehicle

japan10 031 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

This ride is just amazing. There are no tracks; and the vehicles move around randomly - they don't stay in a line like your usual dark ride. They spin, and seemingly hop in a Tigger scene (though I think maybe it was the floor that was bouncing and not the vehicle - I don't know - magic!).

japan10 033 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

It's beautifully designed throughout.

japan10 034 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

After this scene, the vehicles (six at a time, I think) go into a large area where a "band" is playing dance music and the vehicles "dance" together with an additional vehicle filled with characters. It's amazing!

And here, you're hit with the strong scent of honey.

japan10 035 by txmama_dis, on Flickr

Seriously, this ride is worth the price of admission! Outstanding!

Going to break here and pick back up tomorrow. Now to stay awake a few more hours...

Great tip on the Monster's Inc Ride I'll have to be sure to use the flashlight when I go. With each TR I read I get more and more curious about this Pooh ride, everyone seems to be so amazed by it, I'm worried my expectations will get built up to high and i'll ge there and not get it :rotfl:

Thanks for the review and pictures of the Happy Magic Room at the Hilton. I'm still trying to decide between the Hilton and the Sheraton (the actual Disney hotels are far too expensive!). I'm not sure that my son will be old enough to appreciate the fun things in the room, but I'm sure budgetary concerns will dictate where we stay more than anything else.

I'm really enjoying your report and can't wait for the next installment!

I have a slightly random question for you - was there a kettle in your room at the Hilton? I'm booked for there in October and I can't see any mention of it on the website. I need my coffee in the morning and would like to avoid paying Starbucks prices! :surfweb:

I'm really enjoying your report and can't wait for the next installment!

I have a slightly random question for you - was there a kettle in your room at the Hilton? I'm booked for there in October and I can't see any mention of it on the website. I need my coffee in the morning and would like to avoid paying Starbucks prices! :surfweb:

Glad you are enjoying it! As I recall -- there is a kettle (like a small hotel coffee maker) and there is tea for it, but not coffee. There is, however, coffee in the minibar (not free) that you can brew with the coffee maker. :)

Glad you are enjoying it! As I recall -- there is a kettle (like a small hotel coffee maker) and there is tea for it, but not coffee. There is, however, coffee in the minibar (not free) that you can brew with the coffee maker. :)

Thanks so much, that's really useful information. I will bring some coffee sachets from home! :thumbsup2

Great trip report! How did you get away with taking pictures on the Pooh ride, I got in trouble with the CMs for taking pictures on the ride :lmao:

Great trip report! How did you get away with taking pictures on the Pooh ride, I got in trouble with the CMs for taking pictures on the ride :lmao:

I always make sure my flash is off...and no one said anything! I don't have a lot of shots from inside the rides though, usually I am too busy enjoying it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter