To stay (in the park) or not to stay ..

Betsyp

DIS Veteran
I imagine there will be a variety of answers ...

I’m trying to figure out the best way to plan my ADRs. At first, I thought it would make sense to plan dinner at Steakhouse 71 on my MK day, or Flying Fish on my Epcot day, because I could just easily travel to the resort from the park. But, that would mean not returning to my hotel to shower/relax/change. If I do that, it means losing time in the parks, but also wasting time on transportation. These are just examples, but they are two of my definites, so...

Three Bridges is a must for me, too, but it’s causal - I feel like I could just figure out transportation to CSR from whatever park I’m in,

Jiko, I wouldn’t bother returning to my hotel as everything is far away from AKL - on that day, I could do AK in afternoon.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ..thanks !

The wife and I left EPCOT one time (before the skyliner existed) to go back to CBR to shower and change to go to La Cellier because we had never been and felt we needed to be dressed nicer than we were.

We had allotted enough time to do all this but when we got back to the park we had to park way way far out, it took forever for the tram to get to us, security was backed way up, we were almost late to the reservation, had to rush to get there, and by time we got there we were drenched in sweat and out of breath.

I personally recommended taking a change of clothes with you and keeping it in a locker if you aren't using your own vehicle.

That's just my experience though.

Last edited:
Unless you absolutely feel the need to change clothing for these restaurants, it isn't necessary. Steakhouse 71 is very casual and you will see many people in park clothes. While Flying Fish is more upscale, you will still see people in park clothing in the restaurant. On days when we are going directly from the parks to a "nicer" restaurant, I will wear a sundress or nicer park clothes and DH will wear dress shorts and a polo.

Resort restaurants do tend to be a little stricter on the dress code, but not too bad. Steakhouse 71 is more casual and you should be fine with normal parkwear, as long as it isn't torn up or a crop top. At Flying Fish and Jiko, a collared shirt, khaki shorts, and sneakers will be fine. Bringing a change of clothes or just wearing the lightest nice clothes you have are both good options.

The wife and I left EPCOT one time (before the skyliner existed) to go back to CBR to shower and change to go to La Cellier because we had never been and felt we needed to be dressed nicer than we were.

We had allotted enough time to do all this but when we got back to the park we had to park way way far out, it took forever for the tram to get to us, security was backed way up, we were almost late to the reservation, had to rush to get there, and by time we got there we were drenched in sweat and out of breath.

I personally recommended taking a change of close with you and keeping it in a locker if you aren't using your own vehicle.

That's just my experience though.
Ooh, that’s rough....but I can imagine it since, while transportation is good, it takes a lot more time than you think. And, CBR is an Epcot resort...

I actually did consider taking changes of clothes..... It’s a great idea..... thanks !

Last edited:
Unless you absolutely feel the need to change clothing for these restaurants, it isn't necessary. Steakhouse 71 is very casual and you will see many people in park clothes. While Flying Fish is more upscale, you will still see people in park clothing in the restaurant. On days when we are going directly from the parks to a "nicer" restaurant, I will wear a sundress or nicer park clothes and DH will wear dress shorts and a polo.

True...and I’ve had experience with this. In the abstract, it sounds nice to shower and change, but it doesn’t work in practical terms...In November, I showed up at Monsieur Paul like a drowned rat, in shorts and t-shirt. If they can be fine with that, anyplace can be.

Would you consider Jiko to be one of those ”nicer” restaurants ?

Thanks !

Resort restaurants do tend to be a little stricter on the dress code, but not too bad. Steakhouse 71 is more casual and you should be fine with normal parkwear, as long as it isn't torn up or a crop top. At Flying Fish and Jiko, a collared shirt, khaki shorts, and sneakers will be fine. Bringing a change of clothes or just wearing the lightest nice clothes you have are both good options.

Thank you! The change of clothes is a great idea if only because it would feel good to get out of sweaty clothes, lol. Now that I think about it, I did bring a nicer shirt with me in November, but I never ended up using it...

Thank you! The change of clothes is a great idea if only because it would feel good to get out of sweaty clothes, lol. Now that I think about it, I did bring a nicer shirt with me in November, but I never ended up using it...
If I'm going to a nice resort restaurant, I'll wear a collared shirt with short sleeve under armour underneath, then bring an extra undershirt to change into. Helps get rid of the gross, sweaty clothes feeling.

I have learned that if trying for 3 things—enough time in the park, return to resort for rest and refresh, and sit-down dinner outside a park, I can do 2, but not 3, of those things.

What time of year are you going? What are your goals for the trip, riding as many rides as you can or going slow and just enjoying the place?

As others have said, all the restaurants you've mentioned don't need anything more than what you would wear in the park unless you wear a bathing suit or torn ratty clothes. I tend to wear either sundresses or skorts and a regular shirt to the parks. Rarely do I wear a T-Shirt or shorts. So, I can go just about anywhere on property other than V&A's in my park clothes. If it's in dead summer and like walking on the sun with 1000% humidity, I will just go to the bathroom and take either a wet paper towel or a sani wipe if I have one and do a quick wash under the arms, neck and face (not in that order).

As for the questions above, they play into is it going to be hot or pleasant, thus the quick trip to the bathroom. If you want to ride every ride (or as many as you can) and don't plan on taking another trip to WDW for the next say 5 years then going back to your resort probably isn't going to work. However, if riding rides is a side benefit and you just want to enjoy the parks and the resort as a whole, going back to your room for a shower and/or rest could be a great benefit. I always go back to my room somewhere around mid-day and either go to the pool or take a nap and shower. However, I go often, I don't need to see how many rides I can ride and always have park hoppers so always go to a different park after my rest. We have always, even from our first trip when we didn't know if we were ever going back, gone back to the room mid-day for a break and have never felt the need to pack everything into our days. As far as transportation taking time, I use it as another means to rest, any chance to get off my feet in AC in the hot months works for me. I always use Disney transportation or walk and I always drive down so have a car with me. I don't like to drive at home, I'm not doing it at WDW.

What time of year are you going? What are your goals for the trip, riding as many rides as you can or going slow and just enjoying the place?

As others have said, all the restaurants you've mentioned don't need anything more than what you would wear in the park unless you wear a bathing suit or torn ratty clothes. I tend to wear either sundresses or skorts and a regular shirt to the parks. Rarely do I wear a T-Shirt or shorts. So, I can go just about anywhere on property other than V&A's in my park clothes. If it's in dead summer and like walking on the sun with 1000% humidity, I will just go to the bathroom and take either a wet paper towel or a sani wipe if I have one and do a quick wash under the arms, neck and face (not in that order).

As for the questions above, they play into is it going to be hot or pleasant, thus the quick trip to the bathroom. If you want to ride every ride (or as many as you can) and don't plan on taking another trip to WDW for the next say 5 years then going back to your resort probably isn't going to work. However, if riding rides is a side benefit and you just want to enjoy the parks and the resort as a whole, going back to your room for a shower and/or rest could be a great benefit. I always go back to my room somewhere around mid-day and either go to the pool or take a nap and shower. However, I go often, I don't need to see how many rides I can ride and always have park hoppers so always go to a different park after my rest. We have always, even from our first trip when we didn't know if we were ever going back, gone back to the room mid-day for a break and have never felt the need to pack everything into our days. As far as transportation taking time, I use it as another means to rest, any chance to get off my feet in AC in the hot months works for me. I always use Disney transportation or walk and I always drive down so have a car with me. I don't like to drive at home, I'm not doing it at WDW.

I’m going second week in May. I’m an AP holder, so technically I can go anytime. My goal is to have a relaxing time doing the rides I really love ...I don’t intend to rush around like a chicken with its head cut off - I got the new rides out of the way in November, so now there is no pressure to do them all. GoG is a no go - I can book Soarin and Frozen at Epcot and ride Test Track single rider as often as I want. Epcot is easy....those rides, and just enjoying WS and the Flower and Garden Fest.

MK, I have my list of rides, but again, no rush. I’m just going to take it easy as I enjoy my favorite park. It looks like MK is open until 10 pm on Tuesdays, so I actually could go back to my hotel that day, come back, have dinner at Steakhouse 71 and then go back to the park. Or, just go from my hotel to dinner and then the park.

AK, I expect to get drenched on Kali River, but if I stay and have dinner at Jiko that night, I’d just probably bring a top.

I haven’t gotten far enough in my day to day breakdowns to really figure it out, but I suspect that on some days I will return to hotel, and some I won’t.

Thank you!

If I'm going to a nice resort restaurant, I'll wear a collared shirt with short sleeve under armour underneath, then bring an extra undershirt to change into. Helps get rid of the gross, sweaty clothes feeling.

Yeah, that’s my big thing...I can fairly easily bring a change of shirt...they‘re light enough

Thanks!

I have learned that if trying for 3 things—enough time in the park, return to resort for rest and refresh, and sit-down dinner outside a park, I can do 2, but not 3, of those things.
That’s a lesson well learned - and something I will keep in mind ! Thanks !

I’m going second week in May. I’m an AP holder, so technically I can go anytime. My goal is to have a relaxing time doing the rides I really love ...I don’t intend to rush around like a chicken with its head cut off - I got the new rides out of the way in November, so now there is no pressure to do them all. GoG is a no go - I can book Soarin and Frozen at Epcot and ride Test Track single rider as often as I want. Epcot is easy....those rides, and just enjoying WS and the Flower and Garden Fest.

MK, I have my list of rides, but again, no rush. I’m just going to take it easy as I enjoy my favorite park. It looks like MK is open until 10 pm on Tuesdays, so I actually could go back to my hotel that day, come back, have dinner at Steakhouse 71 and then go back to the park. Or, just go from my hotel to dinner and then the park.

AK, I expect to get drenched on Kali River, but if I stay and have dinner at Jiko that night, I’d just probably bring a top.

I haven’t gotten far enough in my day to day breakdowns to really figure it out, but I suspect that on some days I will return to hotel, and some I won’t.

Thank you!
Where are you staying at? That is also a big factor imo. Transportation eats up a lot more time than you think--I would be less inclined to eat somewhere besides my own resort if I were staying far from a park. But like the pp I also religiously take showers and change during my midday resort breaks because I feel so sweaty and gross after a morning in the parks, even before the worst of the sun/heat hits.

I would also look into lounges and the walk up wait lists. For our upcoming trip there's really only a couple of "must dos" we plan to book in advance, Topalino breakfast, CRT and Space 220 lounge. Everything else we are going to go to lounges or try the walk up. I have had a ton of success pulling things last minute.

True...and I’ve had experience with this. In the abstract, it sounds nice to shower and change, but it doesn’t work in practical terms...In November, I showed up at Monsieur Paul like a drowned rat, in shorts and t-shirt. If they can be fine with that, anyplace can be.

Would you consider Jiko to be one of those ”nicer” restaurants ?

Thanks !

Once, when DH and I were checking in for Monsieur Paul, there was a woman in front of us (also checking in) in a t-shirt, cut-off jeans shorts and full-on Viking face paint . . . .they happily seated her.

This is the dress code listed on Jiko's site: "Guests are expected to dress accordingly in attire that respects the restaurant's sophisticated and upscale aesthetic. Clothing should be clean, neat and in good condition. Please no swimwear." If you show up in park clothes that are "clean, neat and in good condition", you will be fine. I think WDW has learned, throughout the years, that guests are there on vacation and a vast majority of their time is spent in parks, in park clothes - the restaurant dress codes have been loosened quite a bit. Even V&A made their dress code more casual this year. I wouldn't worry about this too much - as long as you aren't wearing swimwear, you can wear something that makes you feel comfortable in a restaurant that is slightly upscale. You are going to see a range of dress from park attire to suit jackets - the CMs at the restaurant will not care.

Where are you staying at? That is also a big factor imo. Transportation eats up a lot more time than you think--I would be less inclined to eat somewhere besides my own resort if I were staying far from a park. But like the pp I also religiously take showers and change during my midday resort breaks because I feel so sweaty and gross after a morning in the parks, even before the worst of the sun/heat hits.

I would also look into lounges and the walk up wait lists. For our upcoming trip there's really only a couple of "must dos" we plan to book in advance, Topalino breakfast, CRT and Space 220 lounge. Everything else we are going to go to lounges or try the walk up. I have had a ton of success pulling things last minute.
I’m staying at POFQ - but there’s some complication with my dates; if I have to switch, I’m not sure there will be rooms available. But, we’ll assume POFQ for now. I’m arriving on a Saturday and leaving on a Sunday - as an AP holder, I can only be in the parks on M-F anyway. So, not counting Sunday dinner, I’m dealing with 5 dinners. On Tuesday’s, MK is open until 10 - so that could be a day I take a midday break - return in afternoon, fairly early dinner at Steakhouse 71, then back to MK. Or, just stay at the park, with a break for lunch at Geyser Point…that would ensure I’m not completely done in by dinner, lol.

POFQ being an EPCOT resort, I could see myself returning to hotel before Flying Fish. If I do that on my EPCOT day, though, I’m not sure I’d even have to leave the park. Most of the day would be taken up by strolling the WS - not too strenuous.

Jiko - I’d probably stay at the park as AKL is a shlep.

Three Bridges - another one I wouldn’t care about showing up from the park

I love your idea about walk-ins and lounges, and I think that if I had a longer stay, I would definitely do that a few times.

Thank you!!

Once, when DH and I were checking in for Monsieur Paul, there was a woman in front of us (also checking in) in a t-shirt, cut-off jeans shorts and full-on Viking face paint . . . .they happily seated her.

This is the dress code listed on Jiko's site: "Guests are expected to dress accordingly in attire that respects the restaurant's sophisticated and upscale aesthetic. Clothing should be clean, neat and in good condition. Please no swimwear." If you show up in park clothes that are "clean, neat and in good condition", you will be fine. I think WDW has learned, throughout the years, that guests are there on vacation and a vast majority of their time is spent in parks, in park clothes - the restaurant dress codes have been loosened quite a bit. Even V&A made their dress code more casual this year. I wouldn't worry about this too much - as long as you aren't wearing swimwear, you can wear something that makes you feel comfortable in a restaurant that is slightly upscale. You are going to see a range of dress from park attire to suit jackets - the CMs at the restaurant will not care.

Oh wow, lol. The staff at MP are exceptional - they really care about people having a great time.

Thanks for that! That was pretty much how MP was - that won’t be a problem at all.

The bolded is a great point.

Thank you !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter