To my Grand Rapids Friends....help!

cjnix29

DIS Veteran
Ok, I know there are many of you out there, you gave me advice when we were considering relocating here...well, we are now here! Moved in on Monday. Still unpacking boxes, but now I need to stock my fridge/freezer. Wondering where were the good grocery stores, and where to avoid. And most importantly....we need to set up a dismeets! I need to find some friends in the area! :goodvibes

Yep, start w/Meijer. You should be able to get everything you need/want and much more. Welcome to MI!

Those will probably be your 2 staples, depending on where you ended up. Meijer has better prices, but it is easier to get in and out at Family Fare. Welcome to the cold!

Welcome to West Michigan!

We live in Muskegon, but not too far from GR. Anyways, you can add me to the gang recommending Meijers. I typically get most of my groceries there, with the exception of a few things that I can find cheaper at places like Walmart.

We like Costco if you have membership- otherwise Meijer has great prices & extensive selection.

Cathy:goodvibes

We're in Kalamazoo, but I also shop Meijer. If you go to Meijer.com and sign up for the mperks program, you can clip certain coupons online. Sometimes they have $2 off any purchase, etc.

Welcome to Michigan!!

Thanks for the advice. Do the Meijer's here price match and double coupons? IT's where I shopped in Ohio, but not sure if all stores have the same policies. Also...anyone have any advice on finding a good electrician? Our current house has a gas dryer, and mine is electric. I love my dryer, and can't give it up! (well, unless I buy the same model in gas! lol) Need to get an estimate to have them run an electric line, to see which is more cost effective, buy a new dryer, or have the line run.

:welcome:

I also use Meijer and Family Fare for most of our groceries. We are also members at Sam's Club so that is another option. Meijer does not double coupons, but they do offer online coupons and they frequently have the "10 for $10" special with mix-and-match items, and you get the 11th item free. There are TONS of Meijer locations, but they are all very busy. I agree with the PP that Meijer tends to have better prices, but I like the ease of Family Fare. The one by us has free coffee and popcorn! They also have a deal that if you buy a name-brand item (say, Jif Peanut Butter) they will give you the store-brand item free. The items are limited and they change every week.

What "suburb" did you end up choosing? (I must have missed it!)

Enjoy the wonderful weather that we are about to get hit with this week:headache:.

Some Meijers do give double coupons. The one I usually go to doesn't. Plainwell does, but it is very small. I like the Cascade Meijer best.

If I'm in a hurry then I usually go to Family fare.

Welcome to Grand Rapids! Meijer is going to be your best bet for groceries. If you are going strictly on price, I would say stay away from D&W. Just make sure you go to one of the "nicer" Meijers. I think most have been renovated at this point, but some of them are a bit lacking. There is one closer to us than a Meijer and I stop in there when I'm in a hurry ... and am always amazed at how much more expensive things are there.

As for electricians, I've never actually used on, but I know when I worked we used a company called B&B. Not sure if they do homes or what the pricing is, but we had a fairly large facility and they always handled things well.

Where are you living in town? Hope you enjoy it!

we are in Alto, well, an alto address. DS goes to Kettle Lake. The Cascade Meijer is the closest.

Cascade Meijer was renovated a couple years ago and is really nice! Forest Hills Foods probably isn't too far from you ... they have great specialty stuff, but are really pricey as well. Welcome to Michigan :)

Welcome to GR.

Another Meijer shopper here but the Knapps Corner store. D & W recently opened a new store across the street from this store and the two stores have had some crazy price wars stuff going including lots of $5 and $10 off and free stuff coupons. The pumpkins war was just plain funny - one day Meijers had 49 cent pumpkins so the next day D &W had 47 cent pumpkins. Before Thanksgiving, Meijer had coupons for $16 off an over 12 pound turkey (worked out to 29 cents a pound if you could get a 12 pound one) then D & W sent out a special flyer for two days of 49 cent a pound any size turkeys.

Ok, starting to get a little bored with unpacking boxes and looking out the windows. Anyone want to have a GR DisMeet? We could talk about all the great deals to be found here! ? Anyone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter