To many people live behind the lens today

I think the picture taking at WDW is priceless, but IMO to the OPs point (I think) society esp. Americans are becoming way too obsessed with screens :surfweb: :happytv: :3dglasses ...and it's really messing up traffic man when I'm trying get to work in the morning :headache: you know with the texting and the talking and the not driving :drive:...but I digress, yes is it's nice to have pictures from WDW to remember good times. :blush:

I have this with my 8 yr old. She sat thru Illuminations or Lion king watching it thru the view finder of her very cheap and very poor quality Kodak camera. We gave it to her bc she does enjoy taking pics of flowers shrubs shoes whatever. But to watch a SHOW thru a tiny screen instead of look up and experience it across an entire sky are 2 diff experiences. She says "I want a memory". That's what we call family pics we take and put in her little albums. Or "I want to show Caitlyn" (her BFF). I tell her "1000 other people with amazing professional equipment have videoed this show and put it on you tube. Tell me which show you want to show a friend or you want to remember and we can watch it at any time." I don't want her missing what's around her and being stuck just seeing what's in the view finder. For moments thru the day, yeah, but during shows, fireworks, nope.

I wanted to add, I think what really got us to get on her about it was during FOTLk, she had her flash off and was taking pics. Every other pic, shed stop and review. She then would get mad bc the pic was blurry or dark so shed pout. She wasn't even enjoying the show, we weren't enjoying the show. I have tons of great FOTLK pics to pull out of archive so we told her no more show pics or videos just enjoy the show!

The only time others annoy me is the rule breakers. The flash in dark shows or rides. Otherwise I don't notice them.

I don't have a single picture or video of Illuminations... I barely blink during that show. It's my all time favourite and I cry at the end every single time... what a sap I am.

Catherine...I understand why you wouldn't want your 8 year old viewing everything through her camera and not being "in" the moment. So many teens and pre-teens are living life through a viewfinder these days.

I find it much less "sad" that people are trying to take pictures of fun stuff while at Disney and find myself more annoyed when I see people on their phones in the car, or out to dinner as a family with every single member on their phone and not talking to one another.

I don't think you can always judge what you see. My family spent a week at the cottage this summer where we were together 24/7. On the way home we stopped for supper and we all either had electronics or a book while waiting for our meal. After so much 24/7 family time we just wanted to do out own thing.

Others seeing us would have thought "oh so sad", etc. So you really can't judge everything you see.

I always wondered if people taping stuff like Wishes actually watch it. I would go find it on Youtube rather than dig around a find a old video.

I think now days with digital pictures people take way too many pictures. One or two good pictures is way better than 10 so-so ones.

I don't understand how they "miss the whole show" by taking a picture, or a few pictures.

It looks like a musical performance.

I'm not the most coordinated guy in the world, but I CAN listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time.

Bragging is very unbecoming.

I think now days with digital pictures people take way too many pictures. One or two good pictures is way better than 10 so-so ones.

I take 10 and then edit it down to 1 or 2 good ones.

Sorry, but this comment seems to contradict your earlier post.

How so?

It's the bolded part that I believe led to people quoting and disagreeing with your post.
I have a camera in front of me a lot and yet I still feel 100% enriched and empowered by all of my travels. Am I 'living in the moment'? - yes. Am I trying to be difficult or a troll by saying this? - No.

Of course the OP is allowed to present his/her opinion. But because 'opinion' is the operative word here, people are allowed to disagree without being given offensive labels.

So, you believe that no one in the entire world that goes to WDW should consider putting down their video camera during Wishes and seeing them with their own eyes rather than through pixels on a tiny cell phone screen at least once?

I stand by what I said in that. If you are so narrow minded as to not understand where the guy is coming from, you're being difficult or you're trolling. Because it's a very easy to understand thing. Excluding yourself from the category he's talking about is one thing, and certainly isn't what I'm referring to in what you bolded. He is not talking about taking pictures of your family, or being a photographer and capturing the beauty of the parks. Would that be a reasonable thing to suggest? No, of course it wouldn't. I understand where he's coming from because I'm guilty of it as well. I'm also guilty of texting and surfing the web at the dinner table with my wife when she deserves my full attention. The argument I'm hearing being made here is "But what if you're texting your neighbor to run and lock your house because you forgot to lock the front door!?". If that were the case then of course I should freaking be texting them. That's an unreasonable argument, and trolling the point by definition. The simple fact is I'm checking sports scores that aren't nearly as important as sharing a little bit of time with my wife. That's the same argument being made here, and I just don't understand why some refuse to see the point he is making. It is a point, but it's not an accusation for anyone with a freakin camera in their hands. I think people are trying too hard to be offended, yes.

Why is this even an issue or an argument? Seriously ppl! Everyone enjoys their vacations in different ways! Why should you care so much what others do? It just seems extremely petty and childish & it seems you waste your vacation when your so concerned about what others do! My focus is my family & the magic around me.

I don't think you can always judge what you see. My family spent a week at the cottage this summer where we were together 24/7. On the way home we stopped for supper and we all either had electronics or a book while waiting for our meal. After so much 24/7 family time we just wanted to do out own thing.

Others seeing us would have thought "oh so sad", etc. So you really can't judge everything you see.

I always wondered if people taping stuff like Wishes actually watch it. I would go find it on Youtube rather than dig around a find a old video.

Sorry, but I think that is more like an exception and not the rule.

Sorry, but I think that is more like an exception and not the rule.

Probably so, but the photographer who is passionate about the craft, considerate of those around him and mindful of his family's needs may be as well, and likely becomes a greater exception every day someone buys a smartphone or iPad.

Probably so, but the photographer who is passionate about the craft, considerate of those around him and mindful of his family's needs may be as well, and likely becomes a greater exception every day someone buys a smartphone or iPad.

Which no one is suggesting isn't an exception.

With so many people here agreeing too many people are living life behind a lens...... I can't help but wonder...... Just who ARE all those people behind their lenses?

I think I'm going to get on this bandwagon. Yes, I think living behind a lens is just awful. Now would you all put them down so I can finally take MY pictures over all your heads again?

That's not what I was referring to, but I agree.

I don't think this is an arguement worthy post... just an observation by the OP.

It is true... many of us (and I know I've even been guilty of it at times, though I try to be more conscious of it lately) spend more time snapping photos or videos of an event rather than just being in the moment and enjoying it as it is happening without worrying about capturing the memory.
We used to "have" to capture the memory in our minds rather than on film, but now it's just so accessible to everyone.

I was at a wedding recently where the bride came down the aisle and not only were 80% of the people holding up their phones, at least 15 of them were holding up their iPads. It was just bizarre and didn't fit with the theme of a romantic, outdoor country wedding. Couldn't they just leave that to the hired photographer?

I get what the OP is saying.

Why is this even an issue or an argument? Seriously ppl! Everyone enjoys their vacations in different ways! Why should you care so much what others do? It just seems extremely petty and childish & it seems you waste your vacation when your so concerned about what others do! My focus is my family & the magic around me.

Because I like reading about people taking pictures of other people taking pictures and believing those other people should not be taking pictures.

Thanks! ISO 100, f/11, 17 seconds. And a 0.9 (3 stop) neutral density filter.

Thanks!!! I want to start getting into nighttime photography. I think it's beautiful. I have to practice with the longer shutter speeds though.

So yes... I will be behind my lens. ;)

I admit I giggled inside when a woman near me dropped and smashed her iPad during the Magic Kingdom fireworks

I now tap the rude on the shoulder and ask them to lower the iPad. I think if that does not work I am considering moving in front of them and waving my arms over my head LOL

I find it comical some of the people who have complained about kids on shoulders don't have a problem with this, lol.

Non obtrusive photography is cool. I don't care if someone livres thru a lens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter