To many people live behind the lens today

Also, I don't take pictures of "things". DH and I pretty much just take pictures of each other.

I notice that in all of my childhood videos my parents took...when they videoed entire shows...we watch the first couple seconds and laugh at how the style of costumes have changed since the 90s....then we fast forward through it.

The shows aren't really "memories"...they're more of a "take in the moment" type of thing...because you can't capture that on a camera.

That is the point of the OP...that people aren't taking in the full moment anymore, but worrying about trying to put the moment "on paper" to remember later rather than living it. Anyone who can't understand that is trying to troll or be difficult.

You can argue for why you would take pictures/video anyway, or why it's not of his damn business, but he has a point.

But each person has their own perception. To think all are the same as yours, mine or the ops is shortsighted.

Excuse me, miss, would you mind taking a photo of us as a group?

Sure. Just consider it payment for the countless amusing posts you have made here on the DIS! :)

But I actually do offer to take a lot of photos in the parks for people. If I have a moment and see one parent taking a photo of the rest of their group, I usually ask if they want one with them in it as well.

I notice that in all of my childhood videos my parents took...when they videoed entire shows...we watch the first couple seconds and laugh at how the style of costumes have changed since the 90s....then we fast forward through it.

The shows aren't really "memories"...they're more of a "take in the moment" type of thing...because you can't capture that on a camera.

That is the point of the OP...that people aren't taking in the full moment anymore, but worrying about trying to put the moment "on paper" to remember later rather than living it. Anyone who can't understand that is trying to troll or be difficult.

You can argue for why you would take pictures/video anyway, or why it's not of his damn business, but he has a point.

Oh, I understood the point, but I do not necessarily agree. As I said before, it is not possible to ever know what others do before and after those snapshot moments that others use to validate their own POV. I never really took pictures and have found out that my kids wished we did have those moments "on paper". I wish I had spent more time getting some of those cherished moments, much the same way that my DD has done. Her scrapbooks that she has created are stunning, and she takes them out for all of us to enjoy.

I think that the OP has a POV, and that it is valid for him. I also think that those if us who do feel that it is no one's business how others choose to enjoy their moment also have a point. The OP used his moment to take a picture of others who he deemed were not "in the moment". He spent his moment judging others who were not mirroring his idea of how to be in the moment. So my question is What exactly was the moment? Was it watching a show? Was it watching others watch a show? Was it taking photos of the show? or Was it taking pics of others taking pics? because clearly the OP was not directing all of his attention to the show.

I think the ones that bring ipads and hold them up are worse especially when they are in front of me. :thumbsup2

At least I can see around someone's phone. I think I am the only person who feels no need to do this. I take pictures but that is about it.

Two different issues here. No, you don't need to take video of Wishes. Plenty of people have done it with better equipment, and you can watch it on YouTube.

However. Getting a video of your three year old watching Wishes? Do it.

Recently, we've been watching a lot of my husband's home movies. He has footage of his sister, nieces and his late parents at WDW in 1984. I can't tell you how priceless that footage is.

So, I would never just leave my camera at home when going on vacation, but I try to get footage that I'll really want, not something I can download elsewhere.

I think the ones that bring ipads and hold them up are worse especially when they are in front of me. :thumbsup2

At least I can see around someone's phone. I think I am the only person who feels no need to do this. I take pictures but that is about it.

Yeah, the ipad really took this to a new level of craziness. Do people really not get how big those are and how they can completely block someone's view? Or do they really just think that's OK? It has to be one of those 2 things, and I just don't get it.

Having fun and simply enjoying your surroundings is an even better tool. People rarely reminisce about the the time they stopped and took dozens of pictures.

or, some people enjoy photography ... it's part of the experience.

I don't understand the filming of entire rides, parades & shows. That's not something that's appealing to me.

But I am a photographer, and do enjoy photography. I get a great deal of enjoyment taking pictures every day of my life. Some of my most precious souvenirs are candid family snapshots.

On our upcoming trip, it is a once in a lifetime thing. It is also 'once in a lifetime' that my parents, my family & my sister's family will all be together for a full week. I am the photographer in our family. When I will be snapping pics, it will be to preserve our memories of a trip as a family. My parents are aging and not in great health, and I want to capture as many shots of them with their grandkids as I can, so 15-20 years from now when they are either suffering from alzheimers or gone, my girls will see the love on their faces. I have very few pics of my grandparents, and even fewer of them with me. My favorite ones of my maternal Grandma are taken at WDW, and the joy is evident on all of our faces. So, while I want to soak in the moments while they are happening, I am also determined to preserve the moments for my kids & my parents.

I will put the camera away for stretches so I can be fully present. I certainly am not going to be recording video of fireworks, but I may bust it out to capture the wonder on my 18month old niece's face during wishes (sans flash).

People have reasoning for what they are doing. Who are we to judge? Live and let live. :hippie:

for us, we slowed down on taking photos altogether. we find that enjoying hte moment creates better memories than fumbling around for the camera, etc...photos for our trips now pretty much consist of the pics we have taken by the park photographers, the pic's available from rides. pics we take are on our iphone and usually outside the entrance to an attraction or while in line for the attraction. much more than that and it feels like we are too busy snapping shots and not actually enjoying ourselves.

I admit I giggled inside when a woman near me dropped and smashed her iPad during the Magic Kingdom fireworks

I now tap the rude on the shoulder and ask them to lower the iPad. I think if that does not work I am considering moving in front of them and waving my arms over my head LOL

I think that part of the problem is not just that people are taking pictures or recording video of their experience.
It's more that we have become so accustomed to being connected electronically to email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, the Disboards, that we immerse ourselves in this cloud to the exclusion of life itself.
We were at POR coming out of the food court and there were 6 teenage girls sitting side by side and not one of them was talking.
They all had the phones out texting back and forth.
We have become so tied to these electronic devices that there doesn't seem to be a healthy normal person to person interaction any more.
It's all about the instant instead of the person or people you are with.
I take pictures of our trips. We are generally there for 9 days, and I doubt I have more that 50 or so pictures for the entire trip because I would rather spend the time enjoying the company of my bride of 28 years than look at everything through a lens.
While pictures are great to remember things, it seems to me that it is much more important to enjoy the time with my wife and a few shots will still bring the memories back.

I admit I giggled inside when a woman near me dropped and smashed her iPad during the Magic Kingdom fireworks

I now tap the rude on the shoulder and ask them to lower the iPad. I think if that does not work I am considering moving in front of them and waving my arms over my head LOL

I'm to the point where I will start tapping on the shoulder now too.

I had a spot at the railing by Crystal Palace to see Wishes. As time went on of course more and more people squeezed in. When the show started, some guy kept leaning up between me and the person next to me with his video camera. I guess he doesn't know how to turn off his video light, because most people would realize you don't need light to film Wishes. It was inches from my eyes right next to my head. Twice I held my hand up in front of his camera before he finally got the message and backed off.

I love my pictures of my family at Disney World, matter of fact it's like watching my son grow up again through those pics.

IMO shows are different. I want to have that experience live and in person. I completely understand wanting to be able to share it with others or see it again, but as others have mentioned, that's what youtube is for.

I don't think the OP meant to say don't take pictures, I think it was more of a live in the experience kind of message. One I agree with :thumbsup2

I have no problem with shutterbugs who wish to capture everything interesting they see on film, whether still or video. I actually appreciate that those people are around, or we wouldn't be able to say "there are already plenty of pics/videos on the web". I enjoy seeing those as much as anybody. The theme here seems to be to wax poetic about what other people are missing and how much happier they would be if they behaved differently, and I suspect that's a false premise.

But as the saying goes, your right to swing a fist ends where my nose begins. I don't care if you take photos on dark rides or during dark shows, just turn off your viewfinder and flash. As others have said you're getting crap photos with the flash and proving you're not a photographer, you're just an inconsiderate person with a camera.

Actually he's just looking at things from his own narrow frame of reference. People have different ways of "taking in the moment." I love photography and trying to capture the unique aspects of the places we visit is how I choose to enjoy them. I look at things differently when I'm thinking about taking photos, and that's particularly true at WDW because it's a place so many have photographed and which I've visited so many times. Seeing it through a lens actually keeps it fresh for me. That's how I "take in the moment."

And how do you know those people without cameras are really "taking in the moment" in the way you think they should? They might be thinking about work or a book they're reading or whether to make a dash for the bus stop as soon as the fireworks are over. Is that "taking in the moment"? I feel more "present" and my mind is less likely to wander when there's a camera in front of my face. YMMV.

Making memories and photographing objects is not the same thing.

Reminds me of a Disney song...

...Taking pictures is making memories
Catching little pieces of time
Making them yours, making them mine
Great vacations and celebrations
Can fade away in a year
Cause when we're making memories
Happy days are always here!

Some people enjoy the act of photography itself.
Some people enjoy displaying and looking through all of their photos at a later date - it fills them with happy memories
Some people feel like it's a fun challenge to strive for the perfect pic.
Some people enjoy the world of social media and want to share their (not someone else's) pics with others.
Some people don't like using cameras and would rather leave their's at home.

As long as all of these people are enjoying themselves and aren't hurting others, is there an issue?

I'm a huge shutterbug and I'm always after the perfect pic but it always includes candids of my family. We've gotten some terrific pics and we enjoy them to this day. My disney pics have slowed though as this will be our 5th trip as a family. I enjoy more moments and capture just a few special shots now. But you nailed it, to each his own. :)

Huge pet peeve with iPads and photo taking and blocking everyone's view. Last Halloween at disney it annoyed me immensely that people couldn't realize they were blocking everyone with the screens. My daughter highland dances and even there people think its acceptable to block everyone's view. Perhaps a gentle excuse me might be in order. Lol

This is the new reality... so many people are missing the moment, trying to capture it in grainy video and distorted audio recordings. This is the scene at one of the concerts I work on every year. Kids camp out for several days on a downtown sidewalk to try and win wristbands to see their favourite performers, then they miss the whole show... even thought the whole thing is broadcast in HD and they could just record it on a PVR... :confused3

i-Wrkz58j-M.jpg

I don't understand how they "miss the whole show" by taking a picture, or a few pictures.

It looks like a musical performance.

I'm not the most coordinated guy in the world, but I CAN listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter