To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Don't you just love it when you gain more time in your age group. It's a brand new opportunity to achieve new goals.

Happy Birthday!

Week 6 of Mile Training + Some Cycling + Yoga Retreat

4/20/20 - M - OFF
4/21/20 - T - Yoga Retreat-Flow on the go + [4x150m + 3.12 mile T + 4x150m] (Run)
4/22/20 - W - Pettit-1 (60 min; 27 TSS) + 45 min @ Easy Run
4/23/20 - R - Virginia (105 min; 77 TSS)
4/24/20 - F - Yoga Retreat-Relax + [3 sets of (2x150m+600m) with reduced RI] (Run)
4/25/20 - Sa - Townsend-1 (90 min; 55 TSS) + 45 min @ Easy Run
4/26/20 - Su - 80 min @ LR w/ two sets of Strides + Yoga Retreat-Take 30

Total Run Miles - 34.9 miles
Total Run Time - 4:53 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 4:15 hours
Total Biking TSS - 159 TSS

Total LIIFT4 Time - 1:14 hours
Total LIIFT4 TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 10:22 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Highlights
-Week 6 of mile training. Did the following on Tuesday: [4x150m + 3.12 mile T + 4x150m]

I was really psyching myself up for this workout. If my T pace was to match what I've been doing lately with R pace, then I should run these miles around 6:09-6:15 pace. That would put me in the territory of a new 5k PR. Albeit, I was a little apprehensive about the feasibility of this given the focus of this training plan has been about short speed and less so sustained pacing. And that this was to be around 19-20 min sustained T pace when the other two T pace workouts were intervals of 4.5 min and 6.5 min. So this seemed like a fairly large jump. But I prepared myself mentally and did my best to attack it.

Splits were:
150m = 30.0, 27.7, 28.8, 26.9, 28.8, 27.4, 29.6, 29.7 (avg. = 29.3, 5:14 min/mile)
3.12 mile T = 6:27, 6:36, 6:47 (avg. = 6:36 min/mile)

The 4x150m to start felt good. I tried my best early on in the T paced first mile to hold back. I checked in relatively soon after starting and saw sub-6 pace so I pulled back. About 1/2 through the first mile I saw around 6:10 min/mile pace and knew I just needed to sustain, but I also wanted to be a bit slower with the first T mile and finish fast. So I pulled back a touch. The next time I checked I saw 6:20 pace and was right where I wanted to be. When I hit the end of Mile 1 I was at 6:27 and was a little behind the goal now. I tried to keep digging deep and pushing but things were definitely getting tough. I didn't even check my watch until I hit Mile 2 which came in at 6:36 and I was a little disappointed because I was trying to sustain and not continue to fade. Then the 3rd mile came in at 6:47 which was still me pushing fairly hard. Finished the 3.12 miles in 20:40 which ranks around my 5th fastest 5k split, but about 70 seconds off from a PR. I didn't know what the legs had left for the second set of 4x150m, but I was pleasantly surprised that they recovered quickly and still had some short distance pop to them. Finished off the 150m reps at an average of 29.3s and a 5:14 min/mile pace.

The HR shows I was roughly where I should have been but lack the necessary endurance at this moment to hold that pace. My LT HR is usually around a 157 and this came out around a 153 average (151, 155, and 153). Given that the second mile was slower yet higher HR shows me I truly was giving it a good effort. Not terribly worried about it though. Because my LT pace for a 5:40 goal mile which is where I started this training plan at is a 6:36 min/mile. So despite me not hitting the 6:09-6:15 window, I'm still roughly where I should have been otherwise.

Thursday was my 35th birthday. So I moved into a new AG as well as gained 5 minutes on my BQ time.

View attachment 490883

G gave me this "Yoda Best Dad Ever" shirt. You'll have to forgive my haircut because I gave G the clippers a few weeks back and let her pretend to be a hair stylist. She went a bit wild and had fun. I cleaned it up as best I could afterwards.

View attachment 490882

View attachment 490881

We also made my special Peanut Butter Dream pie. It's been years since we've made it, mostly because it's a caloric bomb and usually I'm in the middle of training when my birthday rolls around in late April. It's made with a PB Oreo crust with brown sugar and butter. Then on top of the crust is a layer of hot fudge that is allowed to cool and solidify. The filling is made with peanut butter, whipping cream, more sugar, and marshmallow fluff. Then it's topped off with peanuts and more hot fudge. It's best served cold, and so we usually put it in the freezer. It's devastatingly good.

-Did the following on Friday: [3 sets of (2x150m+600m) with reduced RI]
Splits were:
150m = 29.2, 27.7, 28.7, 29.2, 30.2, 30.4 (avg. = 29.2, 5:12 min/mile)
600m = 116.6, 121.0, 119.7 (avg. = 119.1, 5:18 min/mile)

*New 600m PR of 116.6 (5:12 min/mile)

I was out for redemption on Friday and wanted to prove to myself that the short track stuff is improving. It was a little unnerving to try that out on this particular run though because the intent was to reduce rest between the 600m intervals. So normally I was doing 3:45-5 min of rest post-600m reps and this asked for 1/2 rest, so something like 2-2:30 min instead.

The 150m reps felt good. I really attacked that first 600m rep and towards the end of it my body was getting all tingly. I knew that that was the right feeling for a true max effort type rep. Ended up coming in at 116.6 seconds which is a new PR for me and found out later I likely hit the 75 second 400m rep (2nd fastest at 5:01 min/mile) during this interval. That's all well and good, but now I only had a short period of time before restarting the 150m reps all over again. It was a real lung and leg buster not to be able to fully recover between the reps. I knew the 116.6 sec rep was going to be all for not if I didn't have nice consistent splits. The second 600m rep felt slower, but I was truly gassed during it. And even though I was gassed throughout it still came in at a respectable 121 seconds (5:25 min/mile). I had another very short and inadequate resting break and was back at it again. The third rep I tried to push hard but knew I wasn't quite at the same level as the first rep. Came in at 119.7 seconds and was really pleased. This meant my 3 rep average was to be under 120 seconds for the first time (119.1 and 5:18 min/mile). So fastest 600m rep, fastest 600m rep set (even with reduced rest), and 2nd fastest 400m rep. All in all a good day. I finished this interval set so quickly I had to extend the cool down in order to hit my goal 60 min total workout time.

Sunday was my first two set strides workout where I ran around 4 miles at LR, did strides, then ran another 4 miles LR, then did another set of strides. That was a tough adjustment, but I managed.

That represents the end of Phase 2 of the training plan, and now we move into the dreaded Phase 3. The introduction of I PACE! ACK! And also the introduction of the occasional 3 speed workouts in a single week. The strides on Sundays have been building towards this and my ability to withstand a triple set of speed on a weekly basis. Each individual R workout seems to be a little easier now, but having to do it 3 times in a week I think ramps up the difficulty. The I pace will be a good tell tale for what's possible in the mile. There's no faking I pace. Either you can or you can't. And it's aptly described as the most dreadful endurance pace there is. Wish me luck! :scared:

Happy, happy birthday!

Also, I NEED THAT PIE RECIPE. OMG.

Happy Birthday BIlly. I will say if you are going to eat the calorie bomb you might as well enjoy it and that looked delicious.

Also, I NEED THAT PIE RECIPE. OMG.

Peanut Butter Dream Pie Recipe

Crust
-1.75 cups PB oreo cookies crushed (approx. 36 cookies)
-6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
-3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
-Pinch of salt

Combine cookie crumbs, butter, brown sugar, and pinch of salt. Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. *The original recipe says to bake it for 8-10 min at 350 degrees, but we don't bake it.

Filling
-1.5 cups heavy cream
-1 cup of marshmallow fluff/cream
-1.5 cups of peanut butter
-4 tablespoons sugar
-Smucker's Hot Fudge topping
-Peanuts

Using an electric mixture, beat 1.5 cups of heavy cream until soft peaks form. Beat 1 cup marshmallow fluff, 1.5 cups creamy peanut butter, and 4 tablespoons of sugar. Occasionally, stop mixer and mix down the bowl to ensure even mixing. Put Smucker's Hot Fudge topping into the microwave for suggested time on container. Pour hot fudge onto cookie pie crust to form a layer. Place pie crust+fudge into fridge for a few minutes to allow to harden. Once fudge has hardened, then pour the PB/marshmallow filling over fudge/crust. Place in freezer overnight. Top with peanuts and Smucker's Hot Fudge topping as desired upon serving. *I feel like these toppings help add some texture and other consistency to the very consistent filling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter