To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 5 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 9.07.10 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).
10/1/18 - T+D of 113, 81% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph ENE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 122).
10/2/18 - T+D of 115, 91% cloudy, 38% rain, 8 mph NE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 123).
10/3/18 - T+D of 117, 84% cloudy, 13% rain, 8 mph NE wind (At 11am, T+D is 118, and At 1pm, T+D is 119).

giphy.gif

I sent my daughter to school today in shorts and a t-shirt. I had hoped that by this week it would be sweater weather!! At least the T+D around 11am and 1pm is going in the downward direction.

What's the word for "I usually want it to be warm and summery because I like warm weather EXCEPT not this year because of the marathon"??

giphy.gif

I sent my daughter to school today in shorts and a t-shirt. I had hoped that by this week it would be sweater weather!! At least the T+D around 11am and 1pm is going in the downward direction.

What's the word for "I usually want it to be warm and summery because I like warm weather EXCEPT not this year because of the marathon"??

:rotfl2:

Let's be honest though, Sunday is still the best racing day. Wednesday is super hot (relatively to the last two weeks). Thursday afternoon is colder but super windy. And Saturday/Monday are warmer for sure. So I'd say given the 10-day we really lucked out for the time being. It could be much worse. Those T+Ds are really only an adjustment of 0.5-1% to pacing and being super cloudy will definitely help. So all things considered, I'm happy about it.

2018 Chicago Marathon Prediction Guesses!

Alright, you've still got till the end of the day today to put your guesses in. I'm going to go ahead and compile the links to the guesses here. I'm still not looking until after the race is over (although I do know Gigi's).

@SarahDisney (link)
@steph0808 (link)
@Jules76126 (link)
@MissLiss279 (link)
@Capang (link)
@canglim52 (link)
@JohnFilipoff (link)
@ZellyB (link)
@TeeterTots (link)
@FFigawi (link)
@CheapRunnerMike (link)
@TheHamm (link)
@KSellers88 (link)
@garneska (link)
@rteetz (link)
@Sleepless Knight (link)
@mankle30 (link)
@PCFriar80 (link)
@roxymama (link)
@jennamfeo (link)
@Chaitali (link)
@michigandergirl (link)
@Bree (link)
@Dis5150 (link)
@Keels (link)
@sourire (link)
Princess Gigi (link)
@DerTobi75 (link)

That's everyone I believe. I'll edit this post to add any others that come in late.

For me, I'm not really sure what to think about this race. I don't really have any expectations. I can envision scenarios where I crush it and scenarios where my body gives up on me. Sometimes having no expectations (like every Dopey marathon) has led to some great races (see 2017 and 2018 Dopey marathons). So maybe running blind and not really expecting anything out of myself will continue to allow me to let go. The plan is to run the first half very conservative. Not only because it has been awhile since I've run far (since the beginning of August for something over 14 miles), but also because many of the tips/tricks I've read about Chicago state it's a very fast first half race. So the goal is to run slow enough that I can't even tell I'm breathing for the first half (like somewhere around LR/EB effort). I've run 12 previous marathons. I've negative split only once (Lakefront 2015 (my 6th) with a 1:51:53 first half and 1:47:00 second half (or 4:53 negative)). Easily the most fun I've ever had running a marathon. Other than that one, I've had a positive split of 40:56, 3:15, 21:42, 4:21, 58:00, 8:31, 9:30, 3:01, 1:22, 7:01, and 4:27. So while maybe not in peak shape, maybe I can still aim for a negative split race with a truly conservative start. I think the longer my ankle can hold up the better and a conservative start gives that the best chance. If the ankle gives up on me early on, it's going to make for a tough latter portion of racing.

My guess based on just a gut instinct.

3:14:04

Last edited:
You forgot to mention that you will have an old man anchor to slow you down over the first half...I know my role :D

Lol.... right... old man anchor. I feel like you left something out that happened this past weekend. I've got a feeling you've got more bounce in those old man legs than this young spring chicken. Just know though... if/when you leave me, you better not let me catch you. :D

Lol.... right... old man anchor. I feel like you left something out that happened this past weekend. I've got a feeling you've got more bounce in those old man legs than this young spring chicken. Just know though... if/when you leave me, you better not let me catch you. :D
I have a feeling we will be taking turns both pushing and carrying each other all day ::yes::
Woody-and-Buzz-flying-Toy-Story-1439571683.gif

Thanks! What's next for you and @mateojr?

That's a much more sane limit. I did also wear a few scarves and such when it was -25. There wasn't much exposed skin.

Face shields:

View attachment 355404

:rotfl2:

Well if it weren't from the Raynaud's then I certainly would keep doing it. But since my personal tolerance for cold seems to be higher than my body's it's forcing me to reconsider. Mostly because my blood vessels were popping in my hands/fingers and yet, other than them going numb about 30-45 min after finishing running on occasion, I couldn't tell. These days the steering wheel of the car seems to be the biggest culprit and I haven't figured out a good solution for that yet.

Oh no! I'm disqualified because I looked behind the spoilers before I knew what was going on! Still following along and wishing you a wonderful and happy run!

Haven't decided what's next because cross country season is still in full swing, with @mateojr running as fast as his little legs can carry him! And I'm in my third year of assistant coaching the running littles! He was tough today at his meet in the heat, with the bugs, swampy course and the poor decision to dump his gatorade on himself at the finish. We are exhausted, soaked from puddles and mud, and very happy. :) Long distance not in the cards for me right now - running 3-4 miles on my own every day, and another 2 miles with the kids 4x week. I'll re-evaluate (including Last Call half) when the season is over. Meanwhile, he's SO excited for the WDW 10K in January!!

You are going to have a great race. I just know it!!

giphy.gif

Thanks!

Oh no! I'm disqualified because I looked behind the spoilers before I knew what was going on! Still following along and wishing you a wonderful and happy run!

Bummer!

Haven't decided what's next because cross country season is still in full swing, with @mateojr running as fast as his little legs can carry him! And I'm in my third year of assistant coaching the running littles! He was tough today at his meet in the heat, with the bugs, swampy course and the poor decision to dump his gatorade on himself at the finish. We are exhausted, soaked from puddles and mud, and very happy. :) Long distance not in the cards for me right now - running 3-4 miles on my own every day, and another 2 miles with the kids 4x week. I'll re-evaluate (including Last Call half) when the season is over. Meanwhile, he's SO excited for the WDW 10K in January!!

It was a beast out there today after having a touch of Fall. Go @mateojr! I was originally planning on Last Call, but we'll see what the future holds post-Chicago. I might need some time off from running to try and get things to heal. Yea for the 10k!

Is there anything in the rule books against carrying someone via piggyback?

LOL!

Not sure about Chicago (need to catch up with your thread!!!) but not at Disney. Because I carried @mateojr piggyback for a while during the 5K of my Dopey a couple years ago when he was sick!

LOL!

So 772.5 total carbs needed, of which 80% will be liquid sourced (618 g carbs). Every time I've done this protocol prior, I've used E-Fuel (Crank Sports and makers of E-Gel). But this time around, I'm trying Maurten Drink Mix 320 primarily because it requires significantly less water for it to be absorbed. So, I'll need to consume 7.8 packets with 133 ounces of water (just over a gallon) over the course of Thursday. So, I'll probably do a packet an hour for 8 hours.

In addition, I'll need to consume 154 g carbs, 64 g protein, and 9.5 g fat from actual food sources.

so how are you doing the 'regular food source' carbs?

so how are you doing the 'regular food source' carbs?

It's been mostly normal food for me. I've had oatmeal, eggs, chicken sandwich, pasta/mushrooms, popcorn, and dinner (don't know yet). But with Maurten this has been the easiest WA protocol attempt yet. The water burden was clearly the problem in other attempts.

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 4 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 4.10.59 PM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).
10/1/18 - T+D of 113, 81% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph ENE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 122).
10/2/18 - T+D of 115, 91% cloudy, 38% rain, 8 mph NE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 123).
10/3/18 - T+D of 117, 84% cloudy, 13% rain, 8 mph NE wind (At 11am, T+D is 118, and At 1pm, T+D is 119).
10/4/18 - T+D of 119, 95% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph NE wind (At 11am, T+D is 125, and At 1pm, T+D is 124).

Humidity continues to climb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter