• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

To go or not to go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeachLoveDisney

It's a GREAT Big Beautiful Tomorrow!
I am really struggling to make the decision to cancel our 8/8 arrival trip or go. My husband and I are vaccinated, but my 3 and 5 year old are too young to be. I scheduled our trip as far into the summer as possible with the hope that things would be as close to normal as possible, which really backfired.

With the surging cases there and what looks to be very high crowd levels, I would feel absolutely terrible if they got COVID from our trip. My 5 year old has fairly bad asthma. But man… we’ve all been so looking forward to this after our May 2020 trip was cancelled.

Thoughts? I know it’s such a personal choice, I just want to bounce it off some other Disney parents. Thanks in advance!

I am really struggling to make the decision to cancel our 8/8 arrival trip or go. My husband and I are vaccinated, but my 3 and 5 year old are too young to be. I scheduled our trip as far into the summer as possible with the hope that things would be as close to normal as possible, which really backfired.

With the surging cases there and what looks to be very high crowd levels, I would feel absolutely terrible if they got COVID from our trip. My 5 year old has fairly bad asthma. But man… we’ve all been so looking forward to this after our May 2020 trip was cancelled.

Thoughts? I know it’s such a personal choice, I just want to bounce it off some other Disney parents. Thanks in advance!

We just got back-- two week trip- we had a great time, but basically because we spent so much time away from the parks !!
We still went to all of the them--- but most days only 4-6 hours, maybe less- we are used to Disney in July, so it wasnt a heat problem--- although, I will say that after our first few days, it got REALLY hot--- I mention this because obviously we were there with different mask guidelines---
DD15 and I are both vaccinated--- DS10 isnt--- Have to be honest with you--- there were so many times that we were packed in like sardines, without masks, and despite being vaccinated, I worried a bit---
I went back and forth with our decision to go as well, but we only went once the mask guidelines were relaxed--- I dont mind wearing them on the busses, and other indoor places (airports, ubers, etc), but I dont think I would enjoy myself much having to wear the mask that often in the heat-

Bigger issue for us was the lack of FPs, long lines, lack of staff (CMs), live shows, parades, etc.
As far as Covid issues--- if you worry (and people have every right to worry) about safety, having just been there--- I can tell you--- social distancing (at least for now) has been thrown out of the window. Long lines, and ppl on top of each other all day---
My son has bad allergies as well as asthma, and at the time that we left--- 7/14-- I wasnt too worried --- now, I might feel a little different- Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the right one for you and your family !!

We are scheduled to arrive 8/13 with a group of 11. DD is 12 and fully vaccinated. Tbh, if that were not the case I would really be on the fence about going. We were already planning on wearing masks before the new rules were announced, but have to admit I am worried about crowd level. I know that it should be less crowded then July as much of the country will have started school again. And after reading a few threads, it is sounding like there are people canceling, both due to the Delta variant and the new masking rules. So my hope is that the crowd level will be decreased, people will wear their masks correctly, and it will be cooler the average in Florida (fat chance I know, but I can dream 😝)

I would not recommend you take this chance with a young child that has bad asthma . That would be high risk especially if you have to fly.

We are scheduled to arrive 8/13 with a group of 11. DD is 12 and fully vaccinated. Tbh, if that were not the case I would really be on the fence about going. We were already planning on wearing masks before the new rules were announced, but have to admit I am worried about crowd level. I know that it should be less crowded then July as much of the country will have started school again. And after reading a few threads, it is sounding like there are people canceling, both due to the Delta variant and the new masking rules. So my hope is that the crowd level will be decreased, people will wear their masks correctly, and it will be cooler the average in Florida (fat chance I know, but I can dream 😝)
We have the same dreams, lol :) We head down in just over a week.

Everyone has their own risk/benefit calculus. But my feeling is if you're concerned, you may not enjoy your time there.

I read a comment on a different thread from someone who was just back and how they didn't enjoy the trip as much because when they booked their trip, coming from the highly vaccinated northeast, Delta wasn't on their radar and it sort of exploded while they were there.

I'd also be inclined to cancel on the cost v experience side of the calculations. I think (for me) right now the cost and the experiences aren't in line with what I need.

You are right, OP, we all have to decide solo. This is how I came to make the decision for my family.
We have visited Disney at least annually for a few years up until January 2020. DGD announced she wanted a change of locale for our next vacation but of course the pandemic meant time to re-think everything. A year basically at home had its advantages and disadvantage. Our decision is to hold tight until 2023 and concentrate on short visits to places with less people for the time being.
Best wishes with your thought process no matter what direction it takes you.

After a long morning of thinking about it, I just canceled our trip. We were supposed to leave Thursday and stay until Weds. We were fortunate to go in June right after the mask requirement.

My kids aren't old enough for the vaccine. The masking requirement wasn't an issue for us, but knowing we would be packed into preshows like we were back in June, it's not worth the risk for my kids to get sick, even with masks on.

Maybe a long weekend getaway, when things settle down, will be in order.

It's definitely a sad day for us :(

It is really a personal decision, but if we had children that were not vaccinated, we would not go. My family is all vaccinated so I do feel better going knowing that, but I'd spend my whole trip worrying if my sons were not vaccinated which would ruin my trip.

So we just returned from a trip there was 8 of us all adults vaccinated but two children who were not kids came down with Covid as did one of the vaccinated adults it’s a risk you take when going

I'd reschedule for sometime after small children can get Covid vaccines (our pediatrician estimated late Sept/early Oct for the 2-11 yrs) and then you can also get your flu shots all around before going! It will be alot more relaxing. :) We're not considering travel until Feb next year.

If you are ready and prepared for the followings, then you might be fine:
- kids can and are prepared to wear masks, especially in the summer heat.
- ready to wait in line for rides
- understand that other than Covid, the cold virus is still around us.

I understand how sad it is to cancel a Disney vacation. I couldn’t cancel it but wish that I did. Disney 2021 is just a hot mess. My family were in the park from 7/3-7/9. only 1% of people around us wearing masks. We all wore masks both indoors and outdoors because DS9 was unvaccinated while DD13, DH and myself are vaccinated. I didn’t want to cancel the trip because I personally cannot handle the sadness of cancellation….. 3rd day of the trip, DS9 got sore throat, runny nose, coughing and fever. 6th day of the trip DD started having the same symptoms. The fever went away the second day but the cough lasted for a week. They both tested negative for COVID. Just a very bad cold. Many others who went around the same time came back with the same cold virus.

After a long morning of thinking about it, I just canceled our trip. We were supposed to leave Thursday and stay until Weds. We were fortunate to go in June right after the mask requirement.

My kids aren't old enough for the vaccine. The masking requirement wasn't an issue for us, but knowing we would be packed into preshows like we were back in June, it's not worth the risk for my kids to get sick, even with masks on.

Maybe a long weekend getaway, when things settle down, will be in order.

It's definitely a sad day for us :(

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Lucky for your family that can visit Disney frequently.

Last week, I stopped planning a September trip for my family which includes two four year old children for similar reasons.

I'm sad to miss out on a fall Disney trip, but I'll be so happy to go back when things get better!

Last edited:
As you said, it's a very personal choice. With that in mind, we have a March trip planned for next year and DW and I are concerned for two reasons.

First, we live in the Houston area and get enough heat and humidity, and the idea of wearing a mask for extended periods in the parks sounds less than ideal to us.

Secondly, and even more importantly, DD is 2, and will be just shy of 3 in March when we're planning to go. If she's vaccinated then we're only having to deal with the masks, which may be a deal breaker. But if she is not vaccinated AND the cases are surging like they are currently we would cancel/postpone.

Hope it all works out and whenever it happens, the trip is great.

We are struggling with the same decision. We were scheduled for 8/12-8/21. We hope we won't lose $1,000 on the DVC points we used to get Beach Club. It's rough.

Does anyone know if my park tickets will expire if they're not used? Or do they remain in hibernation until you activate them?

Last edited:
Did you purchase direct from Disney ? I think they will allow the value to be used to purchase new tickets but it will reflect the current pricing date (probably more $$$) but at least you will not lose their current value. I’m not sure about other ticketing agencies.

Your tickets will expire, but they retain their value. Once you decide you want to go again, the amount you paid, will be deducted from the amount owed. Should the value of your tickets exceed the then current price, you do not get a refund of the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter