Votes: 23 33.8%
  • I already canceled my trip

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chica1581

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are debating whether to cancel our WDW trip for the first week of October. He thinks it’s too dangerous to take our two unvaccinated children to a place with crowds and questionable social distancing. I think it won’t be worse than having my kids at school all day in a small classroom with 25 other kids who are not masked (no mask mandate in schools here).

I wish I could help but we’re supposed to leave Sunday and are trying to decide whether or not to cancel also. I know canceling is the right thing to do but ive been looking forward to this for so long that I just can’t bring myself to actually cancel.

There’s no easy answer. It’s a hard decision! That was also my thought, especially being that DD is in daycare and ineligible to be vaccinated. Turns out we all got COVID last month (despite me and DH being vaccinated and wearing masks). It sucked but also made it a lot easier to decide not to postpone our trip again. Might as well go now while our risk of getting COVID again is the lowest.

We cancelled too, even though this is the THIRD rescheduled trip since this madness began. :( We're all vaxxed, but if anything else happens (and I have klutzy/germ magnet teens), there's really not a lot of medical support in Florida right now. Bummer!

With two unvaccinated children I would be inclined to cancel. However, if they are in school unmasked, I might still go. My DH and I were there at the end of August. We did not get Covid. But we did pivot and change plans often to avoid crowds and appease our comfort level. If the kids were along, I would set the expectation that this is not a normal Disney trip. Social distancing was nonexistent but mask compliance was really good while we were there.

Side note.. if your kids are at school unvaxxed they might be quarantined before the trip. Lots of schools with no mandates are closing down or having alot of kids stay home for weeks. If this happens last min than you cant cancel :(

Side note.. if your kids are at school unvaxxed they might be quarantined before the trip. Lots of schools with no mandates are closing down or having alot of kids stay home for weeks. If this happens last min than you cant cancel :(
Yes, I am afraid of that. Although my kids wear masks at school, they are in a class with unmasked kids since it is optional. We fear getting a close contact email any day which would require us to quarantine for 10 days.

We are long time DVC members. We haven't been at WDW for nearly 10 years because of kids in college and weddings! We planned a trip for Xmas 2020, but cancelled for 2021. I'm holding 4 reservations - a room for each of my girls and their spouses/ boyfriend and one for us. I thought it would be safer that way. Little did I know that Delta would rear it's ugly head especially in FL. We have two grandchildren 3 and 2 months who are unvaccinated, so this is a particularly hard decision. They are all waiting for us to make a decision before buying airfare which of course has skyrocketed.. The trip gets more expensive each day. My spouse is an MD in Infectious Disease who has checked in with peers in FL who say it's okay to travel and be at WDW. But reports of the size of the crowds just makes this harder. Why spend the money to go down there and stay away from the parks? And we're not in one unit so that we can enjoy meals together! I'm on the verge of cancelling. But I'm going to lose some points and I will be really sad. But I'd be sadder if my grandsons or if anyone gets ill while in Florida in December. That will not be the Xmas gift I intended. :(

We are long time DVC members. We haven't been at WDW for nearly 10 years because of kids in college and weddings! We planned a trip for Xmas 2020, but cancelled for 2021. I'm holding 4 reservations - a room for each of my girls and their spouses/ boyfriend and one for us. I thought it would be safer that way. Little did I know that Delta would rear it's ugly head especially in FL. We have two grandchildren 3 and 2 months who are unvaccinated, so this is a particularly hard decision. They are all waiting for us to make a decision before buying airfare which of course has skyrocketed.. The trip gets more expensive each day. My spouse is an MD in Infectious Disease who has checked in with peers in FL who say it's okay to travel and be at WDW. But reports of the size of the crowds just makes this harder. Why spend the money to go down there and stay away from the parks? And we're not in one unit so that we can enjoy meals together! I'm on the verge of cancelling. But I'm going to lose some points and I will be really sad. But I'd be sadder if my grandsons or if anyone gets ill while in Florida in December. That will not be the Xmas gift I intended. :(
I’m in the same boat as you. We are supposed to leave for Disney in one week and my banking deadline was 5/31 (when case counts were way down). I know not getting sick is more important than wasting the points but it’s making it harder for me to just call it a day and cancel.

I’m not canceling. I’m just not. But we will wear masks (even outside if it’s crowded) and I plan to wash hands frequently and hand sanitizer often. My trip isn’t until November though so I guess things could change. I just totally agree with what you said. Is it any more dangerous than going to school maskless? Or the grocery store? Or anywhere in public right now? I think this definitely has to be your family’s decision, though. No one else can make it but you and what y’all feel comfortable with. Good luck.

Yes, I am afraid of that. Although my kids wear masks at school, they are in a class with unmasked kids since it is optional. We fear getting a close contact email any day which would require us to quarantine for 10 days.
This is a very real chance. I'm having my kids wear KN95 masks when those around them are unmasked to help a bit.
If not cancelling, make sure there is a way not to loose lots of money if quarantine happens.

I voted cancel, but that is easy for me to say since it’s not my trip. But we originally had an October trip planned and rescheduled to spring due to some scheduling conflicts. As I’ve seen how things are going in FL, I keep thinking how glad I am that we aren’t going this fall.

My kids are not old enough to be vaccinated and do go to school in masks. But I think being in crowds for a week would be too stressful and would keep me from enjoying the trip. I am looking forward to going next year when (hopefully!) the kids are vaccinated.

UPDATE: We got our Covid test results today (9/9/21) - had waited 5 days to take the test. Both of us are NEGATIVE!

To go or not go is a decision that only you and your family can make…

My DH (age 70) and I (age 68) rented DVC points for a Studio at SSR for a 10 day trip (8/24 - 9/3) celebrating both of our birthdays, our 49th Anniversary, and his retirement. We planned the trip in May when it looked like the end of summer would be a very safe time to go (based on vaccination rates at the time). We didn’t expect it would turn out to be the Delta variant explosion - and the positive test results/hospitalizations going thru the roof.

We were discussing cancelling the trip for over a month before we left. We have been vaccinated since December (husband worked in healthcare) and super diligent in staying safe. Never stopped wearing masks in public, etc. So, to go to Florida now just didn’t feel like a good decision…

But, after reading all the info we could - we ended up deciding to take the trip with certain precautions. We would ALWAYS wear masks indoors. And mask up outdoors when there were people close to us, which was a lot of the time. I must say - we observed approx. 99% masking compliance indoors. But, only About 40% outdoors.

Luckily, we ended up going during a really slow time - and experienced low crowds the entire trip. We would carry sanitizer in our pockets and use it constantly before and after touching anything in public - on busses, in elevators, in stores, etc. We carried disposable sanitizing cloths (like Clorox) and wiped off any tables, chairs, trays, etc. that we would use. We decided we wouldn’t eat in any sit-down restaurants and canceled a few ADR’s that I had made. We mobile ordered food, and Disney was only allowing you in a quick service restaurant if you had an order to get. Those indoor areas were not crowded at all and we always sat by ourselves in an obscure corner. We also ate when most families were done eating (like 3 pm for lunch - and after 7 or 8pm for dinner) - so less people around. In addition, we sprayed our throats with an antiseptic spray a couple of times a day.

Given all those precautions, we only went to the parks for a few hours each day of our 6 day pass. The rest of the 4 days were spent at the pool relaxing or going to another resort to eat quick service and explore/walk around - enjoying the ambiance. Disney Springs was a hot mess in the evening - so we left and went back early one morning when hardly anyone was there. We never rope dropped and were able to ride in mostly empty busses other times of the day. (Bus service was great, by the way).

We’ve been home for 3 days now, with no symptoms and will get a Covid test in the next day or so - before we see any of our grandkids.

The longer we were there, the safer we felt - as we were in charge of our actions and only counted on us to take the necessary precautions. These were the surgical masks we ordered and used (but used N95’s on the plane): https://myddssupply.com/products/astm-level-3-surgical-masks-blue-by-plastcare-usa

This was a really wonderful, laid back trip. We slept in, ate breakfast in our room (had ordered InstaCart the day we arrived - so had breakfast items, adult drinks for evenings, cheese and crackers, etc.), relaxed at the pool or Blizzard Beach (which was practically empty), and went to a park late in the day. Waited for the crowds to leave the parks before we went for our bus. Ended up being only 4-6 people on most of the busses we took.

We wouldn’t have gone if we had unvaccinated kids, OR if it looked like the super crowds of mid-summer. Would not go anytime after October 1st now - because of all the crowds expected. It sounds like the rest of September will be low crowds, so that would play a part in any decision going forward.

Also, getting a booster vaccine would make us feel better about going in the future… but they are a few weeks out yet. Our plan may not be workable for many families, but it’s what worked well for us and we would go again with the same precautions In place.

Now, we just wait to take a Covid test and keep our fingers crossed that our precautions helped keep us safe!

Last edited:
We are not cancelling and will be traveling in December. We flew to Colorado in May and had a great trip. My husband and I are both exposed to people from all over the world at work, we are exposed to people while shopping, and extra activities with the kids.

Only you know what is best for you and your family. There is no wrong answer or wrong choice. If you family is healthy and have a healthy immune system, I would go - if it was me. If there are health concerns with your family like overweight, obesity, diabetes, or immune issues, etc - then I would cancel for sure or postpone. All you can do is what is best for your family. I wish you good health and the best. Hope you get to enjoy your vacation without worry.

i mean.......touchy subject and all that but if they're in school every day might as well do the trip
That’s my reasoning. My kids wear masks at school but other kids in class don’t since it’s not mandatory here.

I vote for cancel. Covid is still a big concern especially in Florida. Not sure where the OP lives, but to get there from a long distance away you either have to drive (i.e. hotels/rest stops/restaurants/etc.) or fly (airports/ground transportation/flying in enclosed aircraft/etc.). Only about 50% are vaccinated, so likely there will be many people you interact with in public who aren't vaccinated. Some people also take the disease more seriously then others, so just never know where you might come in contact with covid. Even healthy adults can contract covid, that really has nothing to do with your risk.

Wishful thinking, being in denial or optimistic rhetoric has yet to prevent anyone from getting covid.

It's such a hard decision. We cancelled our February trip and are re-booked for November. Neither of our kids are old enough to be vaccinated but everyone else is. My kids are really good about wearing masks and sanitizing and they know they will need to be vigilant if they want to go in November. We went to Legoland last month and it was absolutely packed with a ton of unmasked people and kids and they were really good and none of us got sick, so I'm hoping that's a good sign for our trip. Our trip is mostly Universal but I booked the after hours event at Disney hoping I'll feel safer with the smaller crowds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter