TIW or DDP for this trip?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
We are DVC and AP holders so we can buy TIW for $150. We are a group of 6 adults next trip and are eating at Biergarten, Raglan Road, 50's and Storybook Dining. Price of these meals with alcohol should be about $1200. Considering we could get DVC or AP discounts at 10% for these places, I believe we are right at the breakeven point to buy the TIW. So we would really only be saving on anything BEYOND these purchases correct? I read so much about how TIW is a much better deal that DDP, especially for large parties that may purchase alcohol but I just can't see how it beats the DDP for us. We will not have a car so no valet parking benefit and we are not staying at a resort with a food court that accepts TIW.

We are DVC and AP holders so we can buy TIW for $150. We are a group of 6 adults next trip and are eating at Biergarten, Raglan Road, 50's and Storybook Dining. Price of these meals with alcohol should be about $1200. Considering we could get DVC or AP discounts at 10% for these places, I believe we are right at the breakeven point to buy the TIW. So we would really only be saving on anything BEYOND these purchases correct? I read so much about how TIW is a much better deal that DDP, especially for large parties that may purchase alcohol but I just can't see how it beats the DDP for us. We will not have a car so no valet parking benefit and we are not staying at a resort with a food court that accepts TIW.
Just a heads up, I don't believe Storybook dining accepts TIW unless something has recently changed.

I'm not sure, but I think TIW was usually the best option BEFORE Disney added alcohol to the DDPs, because it gave you a discount on something that wasn't covered by DDPs. Alcohol was the game changer for all kinds of things where DDP is concerned.

Just assuming you're staying 4 nights (4 TS meals listed), the regular DDP is only $1800 for 6 adults. So subtracting the $1200, each adult only has to "spend" $100 over the 4 nights to break even. Sounds like DDP is the way to go for this trip.

I would say DDP sounds like the right choice here. You get the sit down meals, then the counter service and two snacks. Given where you are dining and that TIW doesn't work at Storybook, I don't see how TIW would even come close to saving what the DDP would.

We did DDP once and found it was too much of the food we didn't want.
We have had the TIW card for the last few years and love it. The year they gave a 20% discount to the AP, it didn't make sense.
We time it so we get 3 trips out of our TiW card and easily makes it worth it.
We also do like to visit the lounges, so enjoy that benfit as well.
It really depends on where you will be eating.
Also realize with the TIW card, the holder of the card must pay for the entire meal. You can settle up later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter