• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Title company made mistake on grant deed

Craig Williams

Earning My Ears
After closing the title company emailed me a copy of the grant deed that was recorded and I noticed that they put in the wrong state for my address on the deed. Wondering what is the correct process to correct the deed? Anyone gone through something similar before?

I haven't been at my address for a long time, and it's still my deed. I've never gotten anything in the mail except solicitation from other timeshares and the DVC magazine, which might be based on my MDE profile anyway.

I haven't been at my address for a long time, and it's still my deed. I've never gotten anything in the mail except solicitation from other timeshares and the DVC magazine, which might be based on my MDE profile anyway.
That’s not the issue. Listing the grantees address is to confirm identity. That it’s not just any John Doe, it’s the John Doe that lived at 123 Main St as of that specific date. If the address is wrong, is calls the identity of the grantee into question. Maybe no problem now, but could be a huge problem 20 years from now when they try to sell their contract and the title company won’t insure it. They need to get the correction done.

Title company should fix this right away if you gave them all the correct information at their cost.

That’s not the issue. Listing the grantees address is to confirm identity. That it’s not just any John Doe, it’s the John Doe that lived at 123 Main St as of that specific date. If the address is wrong, is calls the identity of the grantee into question. Maybe no problem now, but could be a huge problem 20 years from now when they try to sell their contract and the title company won’t insure it. They need to get the correction done.

Not sure where you are getting that from.
The address on the deed is either a residential or a mailing address.
Nothing on that identifies the grantee as living at that address.

Not sure where you are getting that from.
The address on the deed is either a residential or a mailing address.
Nothing on that identifies the grantee as living at that address.
You're misunderstanding my point. The purpose of including any address at all is solely for identification. If the address is wrong, it casts doubt on the identity of the grantee. Is it fatal? Probably not. Should it be corrected? Absolutely yes. I am a lawyer and do this for a living.

Good the title company made the correction. A no brained to do that.

Ordinarily I would think the potential issue is not getting the tax bills but that isn’t an issue with DVC, because Disney handles that. I don’t think the address is really used for identification, especially 20 years out, but I can’t claim to be an expert on escrows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter