Title Chosen: World of Friendship! October 2017 Girls Getaway: Aloha to the Poly/ MCO Hyatt p33-4

Aloha to the Poly

I found pictures of the Electrical Water Parade we saw the previous night as we returned to the Poly:

DSCF3129.jpg

DSCF3130.jpg

DSCF3132%202.jpg

**********************************************************************************************

It was time for me to return to the Poly, meet back up with my friends and HISS- go to the airport.

DSCF3380.jpg

DSCF3384.jpg

DSCF3383.jpg

Fortunately, I did not turn into a pillar of salt as I looked back at the Magic Kingdom

DSCF3389.jpg

DSCF3386.jpg

DSCF3388.jpg

DSCF3086.jpg

When one has a few spare minutes in the Poly lobby, one shops. I took some pictures of some cute things I would purchase (if I wasn’t such a cheapskate)

DSCF3087.jpg

DSCF3088.jpg

DSCF3391.jpg

I believe these are the coconut postcards you can send to a friend to make them jealous about your Disney trip.

I did actually make a couple of purchases. I needed to bring something home to Mark to thank him for encouraging my girls getaway. When we were in Hawaii, we made many visits to the Honolulu Cookie Company for samples and souvenirs. I was pleased to see these offered for my purchasing convenience:

DSCF3392.jpg

DSCF3435.jpg

We also made some dog tags. I think Janet made one for her dog and I made one for my camera case.

DSCF3395.jpg

DSCF3397.jpg

Wishing this was the ride we were taking

We made our way outside for the saddest ride of the trip, the Tragical Depress

Tragical Depress.jpg

Once we arrived at the airport, we said our goodbyes to Janet.

I think Nannette has TSA precheck, so she went through the security Fast Pass line, while I endured the standby with the other peasants. The line was brutal and not very well organized. For the first time in a security line, I was told I had to remove food from my carryon, including anything that was packaged! I had the cookies I bought at the Poly, the leftovers from Skippers, a bag of cookies, maybe something else. The thing that surprised and annoyed me was that the packaged items needed to removed (and tested) and that we weren’t informed about this until we were at the xray conveyer belt.

I also think we could leave our shoes on, which added to confusion since travelers are used to removing them.

And the TSA agents were yelling at everyone for doing the wrong things.

Things would have moved much quicker if there had been someone going through the line preparing us for what we needed to do, or if instructions had been put up on the new handy-dandy display boards at MCO.

I finally made it through and I was thankful this was my last airport security screening for the year (dun, dun, dunnnnn)

I texted Mark that I was at the gate and couldn’t wait to get home to see him later that night.

Nannette and I were both flying Southwest so we were in the same gate area. Her flight was first, so I waited with her at her gate. As I was watching her stuff while she used the rest room, I heard a DING on my phone:

Alert from Southwest: “Your flight to Manchester has been cancelled”

Next Up: No, you are NOT sleeping in the airport / Flying the Friendly Skies

Last edited:
Fortunately, I did not turn into a pillar of salt as I looked back at the Magic Kingdom

:laughing:

When we were in Hawaii, we made many visits to the Honolulu Cookie Company for samples and souvenirs. I was pleased to see these offered for my purchasing convenience:

DSCF3392.jpg

Ooh, yum! Great gift idea.

For the first time in a security line, I was told I had to remove food from my carryon, including anything that was packaged! I had the cookies I bought at the Poly, the leftovers from Skippers, a bag of cookies, maybe something else. The thing that surprised and annoyed me was that the packaged items needed to removed (and tested) and that we weren’t informed about this until we were at the xray conveyer belt.

What!? I was surprised, like you, to find that we needed to remove all food last time I was there. But they didn't say anything about testing packaged items. That's wild!

This happened to us, too. It was really upsetting, and people were getting pretty stressed.

Things would have moved much quicker if there had been someone going through the line preparing us for what we needed to do, or if instructions had been put up on the new handy-dandy display boards at MCO.

They must have learned from this, though, because I seem to recall that last time I was there they had an agent walking back down the lines warning people to remove all computers but not other electronics, to leave their shoes on, and to remove all food items from their bags.

:eek:

Aww I love the EWP :goodvibes
Beautiful shots on the way back to the Poly
The store in the Poly has so many nice things except for the price :scared:
I always get TSA pre check flying down but never out of MCO going back
It is controlled chaos o_O
Great picture with Ben any decision on colleges yet?

Last edited:
I love the Electric Water Pageant!

BOOOO to heading to the airport! And MCO is always SO unorganized, which makes it even less fun!

Flight cancelled?! Leaving us on a cliffhanger!

Last trip through MCO there were TSA agents walking the line (this was in June). They are trying to get better but they have to live within the unreasonable standards set by some bureaucrat who sits behind a desk in Washington DC and only flies occasionally without having to ever be screened.

Got to tell you Dee, your last comment regarding the text message is one of the reasons I do not fly Southwest. Here at CVG they really are just getting started and if there are any issues with the plane (mechanical, crew related, weather related) you are stuck and most likely not going anywhere unless you can drive to your final destination.

Katesdad

I have no idea why the buses don't run directly to Disney Springs during the day. Maybe they want people staying at the parks and spend money, and then at night, encourage guests to visit DS, eat at the expensive restaurants and spend money.

Nah. I don't think Disney is interested in money. I think they just want to make sure we're all happy.
Maybe they figured that you'd be happiest in the parks during the day.

Yeah. That's it.

I suspect we have different interests.

mmmm.... maybe. Small possibility.

Thank you. This is probably one of my favorite solo pictures of me.

:goodvibes

Unfortunately, I fear after my son's summer in Wyoming, we may be finding he has Gaston-style decorating tastes.

OOPS!

Wrong park.

:blush:

What the heck, lady?!?!

I'll be back later to read the update.

We also made some dog tags. I think Janet made one for her dog and I made one for my camera case.

Once we arrived at the airport, we said our goodbyes to Janet.

The main reason we get along so well is our sense of humour, but another reason is that I too am a cheapskate. There's no way I'd pay money to make a Disney dog tag for my dog. I love her, but I just tell myself she doesn't need a tag because I'll just watch her and not let her get away. And if she does get away, her rabies tag has her vet on it and whoever finds her can call the vet. Sure I could make it easier for whoever finds her by making a custom tag with my phone number, but I'm way too cheap to do that. :rotfl:

I was sad to say goodbye to you both as I made my way to Air Canada which is not near Southwest. It was all the more frustrating when I found out there were no Air Canada staff available to take my checked bag for more than an hour after I got to the airport. I just sat near the Air Canada desk being bored, thinking of my friends in the same building. That frustration was all the more when I found out how much time you had to spare due to the cancelled flight! I would have tried to squeeze a few more moments of together time out of that day had we known.

I also remember that day was the longest security line up I have ever seen at MCO. You couldn't even see where the line to security began - it was just a giant mess of people.

It was time for me to return to the Poly, meet back up with my friends and HISS- go to the airport.

I kinda like the "HISS" there.
Appropriate.

This is possible?

Not turning into the pillar of salt, I mean.

When one has a few spare minutes in the Poly lobby, one shops.

Uh, oh...

I took some pictures of some cute things I would purchase (if I wasn’t such a cheapskate)

I believe these are the coconut postcards you can send to a friend to make them jealous about your Disney trip.
Oh! :lmao: I thought they were potatoes!

When we were in Hawaii, we made many visits to the Honolulu Cookie Company

Very familiar with that. ::yes::

We also made some dog tags.

What is this???

We made our way outside for the saddest ride of the trip, the Tragical Depress

The worst.

I think Nannette has TSA precheck, so she went through the security Fast Pass line, while I endured the standby with the other peasants.

Except this one you don't get for free.

For the first time in a security line, I was told I had to remove food from my carryon, including anything that was packaged! I had the cookies I bought at the Poly, the leftovers from Skippers, a bag of cookies, maybe something else. The thing that surprised and annoyed me was that the packaged items needed to removed (and tested) and that we weren’t informed about this until we were at the xray conveyer belt.

:( What the heck? First I've ever heard of that.

I also think we could leave our shoes on, which added to confusion since travelers are used to removing them.

:sad2:

Oh brother. Whose fault was that???

I finally made it through and I was thankful this was my last airport security screening for the year (dun, dun, dunnnnn)

Oh????

Nooooooo!!!!

Ooh, yum! Great gift idea.

And they were really good, too!

What!? I was surprised, like you, to find that we needed to remove all food last time I was there. But they didn't say anything about testing packaged items. That's wild!

It was crazy and annoying!

This happened to us, too. It was really upsetting, and people were getting pretty stressed.

Right! Change the rules. Don't tell the masses of people you are changing the rules. Yell at the people when they don't know the rules.

:mad:

They must have learned from this, though, because I seem to recall that last time I was there they had an agent walking back down the lines warning people to remove all computers but not other electronics, to leave their shoes on, and to remove all food items from their bags.

That's good to hear!

Yes, I think that was my face when I got the text about the cancelled flight.

::yes::

Aww I love the EWP :goodvibes
Beautiful shots on the way back to the Poly
The store in the Poly has so many nice things except for the price :scared:
I always get TSA pre check flying down but never out of MCO going back
It is controlled chaos o_O

I love the monorail, but it was kind of nice taking the boat right from MK to the Poly a couple of times.

I loved the items at the Poly gift shop, especially the things that had a tropical theme.

My son will often get the TSA pre-check, but that doesn't help if the rest of us don't.

I actually had TSA pre-check coming home from the cruise I took with Teena, but Mark is the one who checked me in for the flight and I didn't notice it, so I waited in the wrong, long line!

I love the Electric Water Pageant!

BOOOO to heading to the airport! And MCO is always SO unorganized, which makes it even less fun!

Flight cancelled?! Leaving us on a cliffhanger!

The EWP always seems like a bonus show. Nothing you go out of your way for, but it is always fun to see.

This was one of the worst TSA experiences I have had, mostly because they were not informing us about what we needed to do.

:headache:

Last trip through MCO there were TSA agents walking the line (this was in June). They are trying to get better but they have to live within the unreasonable standards set by some bureaucrat who sits behind a desk in Washington DC and only flies occasionally without having to ever be screened.

Got to tell you Dee, your last comment regarding the text message is one of the reasons I do not fly Southwest. Here at CVG they really are just getting started and if there are any issues with the plane (mechanical, crew related, weather related) you are stuck and most likely not going anywhere unless you can drive to your final destination.

Katesdad

It's good to hear from a couple of people that they are trying to make improvements at security at the airport.

I have found that the Southwest Flights tend to be full, so if there is a problem with a cancellation, it is tough to get another flight. I'm a little ahead of myself, but the option that SW offered to me was not a great one. Coming up.

:rolleyes1

I think I know who your Dis photographer was. :) I bet you had a nice time in Washington, DC.

I can't believe that Ben is already in his last year of high school. He was just in grade school when I started hanging around the Dis.

Ben pointed out to my husband accurately that it will be tougher than when Nate started college since he is less than an hour from home, and Ben was still home.
It was a big change for me when our youngest went to college. There were no more track meets to go to and all the other activities that go along with having teenagers.

I found pictures of the Electrical Water Parade we saw the previous night as we returned to the Poly:
Watching the Electric Water Parade from the MK area resorts is one of the nice things about staying there. It always reminds me of watching when our kids were little and the Polynesian, Contemporary and Fort Wilderness were the only places to stay. :)

I think Nannette has TSA precheck, so she went through the security Fast Pass line, while I endured the standby with the other peasants. The line was brutal and not very well organized. For the first time in a security line, I was told I had to remove food from my carryon, including anything that was packaged! I had the cookies I bought at the Poly, the leftovers from Skippers, a bag of cookies, maybe something else. The thing that surprised and annoyed me was that the packaged items needed to removed (and tested) and that we weren’t informed about this until we were at the xray conveyer belt.
I'm a big cheapsake, too, but after a nightmare trip through Orlando TSA I decided that it would be worth it to pay for TSA precheck.

I had heard that TSA was going to ask people to remove food from their luggage. I don't know why. It seems like they love changing the rules and catching everyone off guard.

Your flight has been cancelled has got to be the five worst words you can hear. I can't wait to hear what happened next.

Last edited:
Just looking at your photos makes me long for Florida’s blue skies. :love:Love the gifts you bought to bring home. Saying goodbye to your kingdom and your friends all on the same day is so sad :( You just to plan another getaway to make it better:rotfl:
Why is MCO so crazy and disorganized :confused3 It is the pits as far as airports go:headache: Nightmare for international travelers arriving also. Security check always seems to be utter pandemonium without good reason! I never understood why they insist on yelling at everyone, giving extra stress out to already anxious people seems so unnecessary especially when it’s so easy to calmly explain things and use already present technology to make it clear what needs to be done!
You seem to be having a lot of drama on your travels these days:eek:

Finally back to finish your TR. Humm so interested to find out if you get home that same night.

Nah. I don't think Disney is interested in money. I think they just want to make sure we're all happy.
Maybe they figured that you'd be happiest in the parks during the day.

Yeah. That's it.

I think you're right. I'm happy to pay overinflated prices knowing the money is going to a higher cause. Mission Accomplished!

9 waffle - Copy.jpg

mmmm.... maybe. Small possibility.

Yes, I admire Ariel for her mind. You?

:rolleyes1

The main reason we get along so well is our sense of humour, but another reason is that I too am a cheapskate. There's no way I'd pay money to make a Disney dog tag for my dog. I love her, but I just tell myself she doesn't need a tag because I'll just watch her and not let her get away. And if she does get away, her rabies tag has her vet on it and whoever finds her can call the vet. Sure I could make it easier for whoever finds her by making a custom tag with my phone number, but I'm way too cheap to do that. :rotfl:

I was sad to say goodbye to you both as I made my way to Air Canada which is not near Southwest. It was all the more frustrating when I found out there were no Air Canada staff available to take my checked bag for more than an hour after I got to the airport. I just sat near the Air Canada desk being bored, thinking of my friends in the same building. That frustration was all the more when I found out how much time you had to spare due to the cancelled flight! I would have tried to squeeze a few more moments of together time out of that day had we known.

I also remember that day was the longest security line up I have ever seen at MCO. You couldn't even see where the line to security began - it was just a giant mess of people.

Can you imagine the two of us planning a "Disney on a Dime" or a looney, if you so desire.

Passing up dessert and hanging out at Ghiradelli for free chocolate samples and begging for free cups of ice water around the world.

It was not my favorite airport experience ever!

I have heard that about the Canadian flights. Disney requires that you be at the airport a stupid amount of early, and then there is nobody there who can even help you!

I kinda like the "HISS" there.
Appropriate.

Totally!

This is possible?

Not turning into the pillar of salt, I mean.

I column like I see 'em

Uh, oh...

Fortunately for my wallet, my frugal nature took over.

Oh! :lmao: I thought they were potatoes!

Good thing yours got lost in the mail. You would have been disappointed to receive a coconut when you were expecting spuds.

Very familiar with that. ::yes::

The cookies were good, but not "free in the store while you are staying on Waikiki Beach" good.

What is this???

Dog Tag- a little metallic ID tag that you can get in different shapes (I chose Mickey). It will engrave a name/address on the back. I got mine to put on my camera bag in case it gets lost.

Ironically, I misplaced the tag I made before I had a chance to affix it to the bag.

:blush:

This is the shape I got (actual shape is Mickey head, not the square)

doc tag.jpg

The worst.

Agree. The Tragical Depress is the WORST ride Disney has ever designed, and I'm including Stitches Great Escape in the mix.

Except this one you don't get for free.

Did the TSA get their idea to charge for their Express Pass from Universal?

:( What the heck? First I've ever heard of that.

Yeah, the removing the food thing was new to me. And short lived- coming up.

Oh brother. Whose fault was that???

Exactly! They had invested beaucoup bucks on these big tv screens posted above the snaking security lines. They could have been posting messages like "No Liquids. Computers Out. Other Electronics in. Shoes off (but not in bins- that's nasty- we got yelled at for that). NEW: FOOD OUT OF CARRYONS!"

Nooooooo!!!!

Yes. :(

Last edited:
I think I know who your Dis photographer was. :) I bet you had a nice time in Washington, DC.

I can't believe that Ben is already in his last year of college. He was just in grade school when I started hanging around the Dis.

It was a big change for me when our youngest went to college. There were no more track meets to go to and all the other activities that go along with having teenagers.

You have figured out the "mystery" photographer!

This is going to be a year when I constantly have a big lump in my throat!

Ben accurately pointed out to my husband that it will be different when he goes away to school than when Nate did because he was still at home. And Nate is not very far away, about 40 minutes. But now we are at the very real prospect of having one who will probably want to move out west when he is done with school and another who will be in DC for school and ultimately wants to work overseas.

*sniff*

Watching the Electric Water Parade from the MK area resorts is one of the nice things about staying there. It always reminds me of watching when our kids were little and the Polynesian, Contemporary and Fort Wilderness were the only places to stay. :)

Now that you put it this way, I may have been better off watching the fireworks from our lawn at the Poly than trying to bob and weave behind the tall people in front of me.

I'm a big cheapsake, too, but after a nightmare trip through Orlando TSA I decided that it would be worth it to pay for TSA precheck.

I had heard that TSA was going to ask people to remove food from their luggage. I don't know why. It seems like they love changing the rules and catching everyone off guard.

After the experience we had at Logan on our way to DC this past week, we may spring for TSA precheck. The security line stretched out to where you check your bags and we had to be pulled out of security because our flight was leaving within the half hour. We arrived at our gate as they were boarding our group!

Your flight has been cancelled has got to be the five worst words you can hear. I can't wait to hear what happened next.

It was not the message I wanted to get at the end of a long day, following an amazing, but exhausting trip.

There ended up being a silver lining from the changes though.

Coming up.

Last edited:
Just looking at your photos makes me long for Florida’s blue skies. :love:Love the gifts you bought to bring home. Saying goodbye to your kingdom and your friends all on the same day is so sad :( You just to plan another getaway to make it better:rotfl:
Why is MCO so crazy and disorganized :confused3 It is the pits as far as airports go:headache: Nightmare for international travelers arriving also. Security check always seems to be utter pandemonium without good reason! I never understood why they insist on yelling at everyone, giving extra stress out to already anxious people seems so unnecessary especially when it’s so easy to calmly explain things and use already present technology to make it clear what needs to be done!
You seem to be having a lot of drama on your travels these days:eek:

It was an absolutely GORGEOUS day at the world!

It was funny (not funny) that thunderstorms back home, not in Orlando, were disrupting the flights.

The airports are just getting worse and worse. I know you had a nightmare on your last journey. My last few trips have had their challenges. This cancelled flight. Airport restrooms not working in Mexico. Arriving late for our DC flight from Boston. Delay, including 2 hours at airport and 2 hours ON the plane on our way home.

:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter