TIPS: Star Wars Weekends 2011

Just wanted to point out that they do not start giving out the celebrity fp's until 9am. Not an hour before the park opens - either right at opening or an hour after if its emh day.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but last year they started the FP distribution around 8:45am every day of the weekend, it didn't matter if it was EMH that day or not, in 2009 they started giving them out at 8:15am.

How jammed is the park on SWW? We will be visiting DHS on the first Friday, and plan on getting there at opening, BUT we are not there to see the Star Wars stuff. When you say that people get there the night before, is that to stand in line JUST TO ENTER THE PARK? or is it a special line for SWW events? Is the rest of the park a madhouse?

any pics of the crowds from the past years?

TIA

How jammed is the park on SWW? We will be visiting DHS on the first Friday, and plan on getting there at opening, BUT we are not there to see the Star Wars stuff. When you say that people get there the night before, is that to stand in line JUST TO ENTER THE PARK? or is it a special line for SWW events? Is the rest of the park a madhouse?

any pics of the crowds from the past years?

TIA

The park itself is the regular volume of crowds for that time of year, only around the SWW events it's where it's busier.There's a separate line for the autograph FP's that doesn't affect the lines to go into the park itself. Take a look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14wdLjs5RHg This is a great little video that shows how each character from SW stays in character even if kids start crying/running, so as another poster said don't expect Darth Vader to give you a high five or Bobba Fett to give you a hug...also as you can see some characters are free roaming, meaning that they don't have a specific place to meet, they walk around...so these types of characters create a bit of a traffic jam because people tend to stand all around them and stare or want to take a pic. The areas that are not affected by SWW at all are Sunset Blvd (Tower of Terror, RnRC, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic!) and the Animation Courtyard and Pixar Place (Animation Bldg, Disney Jr. Live on Stage, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, TSM) and Streets of America (Lights, Motor Action) The rest of the park has some type of event or meet and greet related to SWW. Def. stay away from Star Tours if you don't want to deal with the crowds

Thanks for the youtube link!! I think I would have started running/crying :lmao:

Well I'm glad to hear that Sunset Blvd. and Pixar Place are not involved with the SWW, BUT I'm just curious how early I would need to get to the DHS entrance and not be in a huge line :confused3

I didn't realize just how huge this event was, maybe I should start on Plan B and completely skip the park during the weekend.

Thanks for the youtube link!! I think I would have started running/crying :lmao:

Well I'm glad to hear that Sunset Blvd. and Pixar Place are not involved with the SWW, BUT I'm just curious how early I would need to get to the DHS entrance and not be in a huge line :confused3

I didn't realize just how huge this event was, maybe I should start on Plan B and completely skip the park during the weekend.

The lines for people getting Fp's for celeb autographs is very long, there are probably hundreds of people; after getting their fp's (around 8:45am) all these people go line up at the turnstiles to get into the park...so it can get very crowded around 8:45am. It's completely up to you and your family if you decide to skip DHS during the weekends but if you do not want to deal with any SWW crowds then I would avoid it.

Oh Thanks, I was worried that they had to stand in the turnstiles line first, then get intothe fp line. I bet I can get there early enough to get through the turnstiles before the fp's are handed out to the SWW visitors!!!

I'll be at WDW May 27-June 6. I'm trying to pick the lowest crowd day possible for DHS, but every day I'm there will either have Fantasmic, EMH, or SWW. My options right now are to go on an EMH or Fantasmic day, or the SWW day with the lowest predicted crowds - Friday, June 3, which is the designated park that day for Gay Days. Which do you think would have lower crowds? I'm not planning on doing any SWW only stuff, just sticking to ToT, RnRC, GMR, and I want to get in several rides on ST.

Thanks for any advice!

I have a question about the Jedi Training Academy. Do they do anything different for SWW or is it basically the same kind they do everyday. We will have a second day at DHS later in the week so I was hoping to skip the JTA on the Friday that we'll be there but if they do something special I'll feel bad about making my DS miss out. TIA!

I'll be at WDW May 27-June 6. I'm trying to pick the lowest crowd day possible for DHS, but every day I'm there will either have Fantasmic, EMH, or SWW. My options right now are to go on an EMH or Fantasmic day, or the SWW day with the lowest predicted crowds - Friday, June 3, which is the designated park that day for Gay Days. Which do you think would have lower crowds? I'm not planning on doing any SWW only stuff, just sticking to ToT, RnRC, GMR, and I want to get in several rides on ST.

Thanks for any advice!

I honestly think it will depend on the celebrities that are in attendance on that weekend. We were there the same time last year and Billy Dee Williams was the hot ticket. Between him, other Star Wars activities and Gay Days, the park was INSANE on that Friday morning. I actually think your best bet might be Wednesday or Thursday before SWW starts. I know you're competing with Fantasmic or EMH night (personally, I'd go with the EMH night as that's at least limited to resort guests,) but I just can't imagine the Star Tours area not being a madhouse all weekend long with the new ride. Plus, there's activity from morning until night at the stage area adjacent, so sometimes it's a zoo just GETTING to the ride.

I will say that we oddly enough never had a problem riding Star Tours itself with Fastpass, but that was before the upgrade. Good luck!

I'm sorry to disagree with you but last year they started the FP distribution around 8:45am every day of the weekend, it didn't matter if it was EMH that day or not, in 2009 they started giving them out at 8:15am.

The 6 mornings I was there they did not hand them out until 9 am on the nose. The middle 2 weekends.

editing: at least I remember specifically Friday morning for Billy Dee Williams. People were begging them to star early as it has rained during the night and folks had been there for days. We got there at 6am that day - managed to get a stanyby for BDW. We were pretty close to the front of Ray Parks line at that point. I just recall people begging every morning to start early and they never did. 15 minutes isn't exactly a big deal either way except it impacts people who want to try the TSM dash.

Out of the four weekends, which one would be the best are far as crowds? I figured the first and last one would be the most crowded, but then the second one is Memorial Day weekend . . . so that kinda leaves the third weekend. What do you think?
TIA!!!

I have a question about the Jedi Training Academy. Do they do anything different for SWW or is it basically the same kind they do everyday. We will have a second day at DHS later in the week so I was hoping to skip the JTA on the Friday that we'll be there but if they do something special I'll feel bad about making my DS miss out. TIA!

It's the same as the regular days, the only difference is that during SWW the kids that do the JTA get a special "prize" at the end, in years past they've gotten small toys, star wars toothbrushes, action figures. Also during regular JTA they battle Darth Vader, during SWW JTA they battle Darth Vader and last year it was Asajj Ventress from the CLone Wars.

The 6 mornings I was there they did not hand them out until 9 am on the nose. The middle 2 weekends.

For most of the weekends in the past, they definitely handed them out before 9 AM. I recall plenty of times where I'd get my fastpass(es) then still have time to hear the Stormtroppers ask if they should let people in the park. In fact, they often do that little "show" before 9 AM. But you're roped off from going too far into the park until 9 officially hits. But hey, it's only a 15 minute differnece. So anyone wanting those fastpasses just better get there early. They go very fast..... Most of the time.

4.- Fp's is always a big question and here's how they work. Each weekend there are visiting celebs, Disney gives out Fp's for the different times they are signing autographs, so you need a FP to be able to get an autograph. One FP per person, so each person wanting a FP needs to be in line. Here's the tricky part...these FP are given out in the morning about an hour before park opens so you have to be in line early.

This was what I was mostly referencing - they aren't given out an hour early. editing - at least last year they did not.

For most of the weekends in the past, they definitely handed them out before 9 AM. I recall plenty of times where I'd get my fastpass(es) then still have time to hear the Stormtroppers ask if they should let people in the park. In fact, they often do that little "show" before 9 AM. But you're roped off from going too far into the park until 9 officially hits. But hey, it's only a 15 minute differnece. So anyone wanting those fastpasses just better get there early. They go very fast..... Most of the time.

Last year I remember watching the stormtroopers do their thing and we were still in line for the celebrity fp. Lasy year was the first year we did the celebrity aspect, but we got everyone fron the middle 2 weekends - can't remember about the last weekend.

MH dh just said he thougt they may have let started at the same time they opened the turnstiles. I swear I remember ibe day it was 9am. It wasn't as hard to get back around to get in line again. The last morning when we got Peter Mayhew - it was close to impossible to get out to go around and get in line again. The area in front of the turnstiles was packed.

My main point is if you're wanting to get a celebrity fp and then make TSM or a different "opening" something you'll be in the back of the pack. Just something to consider. It definitely was not an hour before the park opened - and on EMH day it was after people were already in the park.

The number of kids participating is double the usual amount. You'll have 15 kids on the stage with Darth Vader and the host helping out. Last year there were an additional 15 kids on the floor fighting Ventress and Ahsoka Tano was helping out. As I looked at a few years back at someone else's pictures it was Darth Maul instead of Ventress.

If you don't want to be part of the maddening crowd I would do it mid-week. For the SWW, you can't do FP for celebrities and try and make it for the JTA rush. We did the JTA and was up pretty close at RD, but in 6 minutes from RD(already in the park, next to the Echo lake) to the Jedi line (located at Sound Dangerous Stage) our tickets were for the late afternoon show.

I'm talking about dads were sprinting for the line with the moms kids and strollers following a little slower behind. Let me tell you, it was the dads who were more excited and the moms who were rolling their eyes, LOL!

AM EMH won't be a factor with SWW this year. If you check the calendar, EMH is usually on a Saturday for DHS, but this year they deliberately changed it to mid-week while SWW is going on, then they change it back after SWW ends.

Fantasmic will still be shown Sundays, so crowds on Sunday may be higher along with the SWW going on.

Out of the four weekends, which one would be the best are far as crowds? I figured the first and last one would be the most crowded, but then the second one is Memorial Day weekend . . . so that kinda leaves the third weekend. What do you think?
TIA!!!

1st wknd I believe the SW fans are more the collectors(adults)- itching to get their hands on the merchandise. They may not be into meeting characters as much as the kids.(MHO). Kids are also mainly still in school, so I kind of believe that would be better. It also may depend on which weekend what celebrity will be there.

Memorial Day Weekend- more people show because a lot of the schools have let out by now. I found Wknd #2 Saturday there were more kids than the day before as well as Wknd #3.

That was the extent of my experience, but I actually would hedge my bets on Wknd #1 and Wknd #3 for SWW shows and meeting characters if not meeting celebrities, and then a Friday over a Saturday and definitely over a Sunday(Fantasmic).

1st wknd I believe the SW fans are more the collectors(adults)- itching to get their hands on the merchandise. They may not be into meeting characters as much as the kids.(MHO). Kids are also mainly still in school, so I kind of believe that would be better. It also may depend on which weekend what celebrity will be there.

Memorial Day Weekend- more people show because a lot of the schools have let out by now. I found Wknd #2 Saturday there were more kids than the day before as well as Wknd #3.

That was the extent of my experience, but I actually would hedge my bets on Wknd #1 and Wknd #3 for SWW shows and meeting characters if not meeting celebrities, and then a Friday over a Saturday and definitely over a Sunday(Fantasmic).

So the first Friday (May 20th) Would most likely be a good day to go if I'm only truly interested in meeting characters and seeing the Hyperspace Hoopla?

This will be our first year attending SWW. We are planning to go on the second friday 5/27, hoping for a slightly lighter crowd. Jedi training academy is our top priority, so it looks like celebrity FP is out. What time should we plan to arrive?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter