Tips on surviving a really long day at Magic Kingdom

What time are the fireworks that night? My kids are pretty high energy so they would have no issues with that schedule. Even though your day is busy, you're not really doing a lot of tiring things. Sitting at BBB for a makeover and having 2 meals in the castles are not tiring! It's the running around doing rides and standing in lines that most people find tiring (and we do a LOT of running around!) If you really need a break in the park, just find a spot to sit and have a snack or watch a show.

As another poster suggested, I would recommend Tom Sawyer's island. There is an area with a dock and rocking chairs and it would be a perfect break to hang out there for an hour or two and just relax. It is very quiet and peaceful. Transportation around the WDW property takes so so long so I wouldn't even try to go back if I were you. You'll spend half the afternoon in the bus/van. Make sure to take plenty of breaks in shows and on TS island and in restaurants and you'll have a great time.

Another good rest option is to take the monorail to Contemporary and hang out there for a bit (or just ride the resort monorail loop and enjoy the views). Sometimes the parks are overstimulating in addition to the heat, and it's nice to be in a quieter environment for a bit.

Use the monorail resorts for your rest time rather than heading all the way to AKL and then all the way back. I just did rope drop to fireworks last week with 3 kids, ages 2, 5, and 7. We like to go to Polynesian. They have that relaxing music playing and the kids like to play in the sand. It's not a nap, but it's away from the craziness of the crowds. We got a snack there and then headed back in with our batteries re-charged and had a very nice rest of the night.

As another poster suggested, I would recommend Tom Sawyer's island. There is an area with a dock and rocking chairs and it would be a perfect break to hang out there for an hour or two and just relax. It is very quiet and peaceful. Transportation around the WDW property takes so so long so I wouldn't even try to go back if I were you. You'll spend half the afternoon in the bus/van. Make sure to take plenty of breaks in shows and on TS island and in restaurants and you'll have a great time.

This was my first thought too. The island is not only a much needed shot of nature, it is devoid of the characters, so a nice break from some of the over-stimulation that can happen in a full day of MK.

Also - I hope you are planning on a slooooow morning the next day. Let your daughter recover (oh, and you, too!).

This doesn't sound unreasonable at all to me, but we have done many long days with my kids (the longest was 7am - 1am, when DS was 4yo). The key for us is to have a restful day on each side of it. Make sure you can get to bed early the night before, and be able to sleep in the morning after. And of course the obvious solutions of taking breaks, eating snacks, and generally letting the kids set the pace.

Thank you all for the great advice!!!
The one smart thing I did was plan a resort day for the following day ; no plans at all until dinner at Storybook / Artist Point at 5:30 PM

Hoping for some pool weather that day!

I think the combo of bringing the stroller, some snacks as well as a little down time early afternoon in any of the recommendation options will work for us and we won't need to go back to our base resort during the day.

Wow, you people are ambitious. My daughter whos 8, and is all energy would not stay up for the fireworks more then once during my stay. We did rope drop most mornings and got up at 630 am most days. We had rest days buildt in but its a lot of qalking and hurrying. I would say dont push it, the trip is for the kids, let them decide how much to do or not do. You can knock off a ton of stuff in mk before 1 pm if planned corectly. Go back and relax then hit up the dinner. And a few more rides.

You could always Minnie Van back to AKL for a break. I know it seems far, but it really isn’t that far away.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. We used them a few times in Oct to get DS back quickly. When he’s done he’s done & has no patience for wdw transportation (neither do I 😉).

Just a few things...It is a big day but I think the excitement and adrenaline will keep her going until the fun stops. Be prepared for her to crash as soon as you walk out of the park. This may mean you bring a stroller or plan on a Minnie Van to get you back to the resort faster/more comfortably. Time to decompress from all of the stimulation will be very important. Tom Sawyer Island is a great suggestion or maybe the Riverboat. Depending on your child, I might even consider bringing along her tablet so she could zone out a bit and I'm not one to advocate screen time.

We did a PPO BOG breakfast and a dessert party with my kids when they were 7 & 4.5. We went back to the room around 2:00 to 'rest' and the kids did not even come close to sleeping. They watched some Vampirina and play on their tablets for a bit and this seemed to totally recharge them. We ended up riding 3 more rides after the fireworks because we were not tired yet.

I would absolutely use a stroller, 2 reason a place for her to sit and rest and possible nap... and with going all day, you most likely will have some extra gear so some place to store your stuff... Which is always a good thing...

You could grab a boat over to the Grand Floridian Resort and check out the Ginger Bread house maybe some hot chocolate and a gingerbread tile for a snack, Wilderness lodge to see the Log Cabin Ginger Bread house... look for the hidden mickeys...

Ride the hotel monorails around the loop...

Sometimes just stepping away from the park is a good thing... There is so much going on that for a kid to get over stimulated is easy...

If it was me... I would drop the last fastpass, and use it later when you return.... and then either Uber, Lyft, or Minnie Van back to Animal Kingdom... I would rather than she be rested to enjoy BBB, and dinner with the princess... instead you might a over tired princess....

We are doing a full long day at MK in late January with our three granddaughters ages 1, 2 1/2 and 7 (and their parents). We have rented a double and a single City Mini stroller so everyone will have a seat if needed. Even though our 7 YO hasn’t been in a stroller in years, I know by the afternoon parade she will welcome a spot to sit and watch. Plus they come with a rain cover (hopefully not needed). The stroller will really help her extend the fun. Even though she is a very active child, a 12 hour day on her feet is a long one.

You can find hundreds of stroller “debates” on these boards. Regardless, I know for us the strollers will help us all enjoy an open-close park day. We are staying at Contemporary which makes it easier to go back for a break if needed but we are hoping not to as long as everyone is happy. Enjoy your day!

My 6yo handled an August day from rope drop to fireworks pretty well this year. We did BOG lunch and Crystal Palace dinner so we had an hour+ to sit down and relax a few times. We also did things like ride the people mover 2-3 times in a row, sit down for snacks etc.

This was also with a 4yo son and a 1.5 yo daughter in tow too!

In any case, pace yourself and give yourself time to relax. You've got that with CRT, but I'd pick out a cool place to go in the middle of the day where you can all sit down and relax. I've never did the Boutique, but if that experience is a good amount of time, I think you might be set.

Just keep refreshing your 4th and 5th etc. fastpasses and you'll be moving around quite a bit anyway but staying active.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!