Tips on rainy days?

disneynovic

Mouseketeer
I've been following these boards for the past 6 weeks, since we have booked our Disney vacation. I'm taking my family of five, DS 12, DD 9, DS 4, Hubby and myself Thursday for one week. We are soooooo looking forward to going, HOWEVER, the first three days look like rain! Is it possible to explore the parks in the rain? Have you done this before, and if so, how? Which parks would you visit in the rain if you had to? We are staying outside the park, and are only spending four days max in the various parks.

Thanks for any pointers and help offerred.

Every time that I have gone it has rained a little bit. But it usually doesn't last the whole day. I say put on a poncho and enjoy yourself. I wouldn't probably go to AK in the rain, we did that last year and with all of the trees and everything in that park it got very very humid.

We found on our last trip you could almost set your clock by the 3pm rain. I also discovered a lot of people would leave the park once the rain started, not realizing it would probably last no more than 15-20minutes. Myself and my DD7 and DD9 would just stay in the parks and enjoy the cooling rains. :umbrella:

FYI, Test Track, our favorite ride in EPCOT is closed when it rains, and for awhile afterwards until the outdoor track is dry and safe. So you might want to hit this one in the am to avoid afternnoon showers.

Since you only have 4 days in the parks I'd keep going rain or shine. Bring some extra clothes, especially an extra pair of sandals or sneakers, and rent a locker by the park entrance. Have rain ponchos. Most of the attractions will run rain or shine and the rain doesn't last that long.

We always hope for rain - like ep4244 said, a lot of people leave. Most (but not all!) things run in the rain as long as there is not any lightning. We've walked right on to Grand Prix in Tomorrowland and Dumbo in Fantasyland in the rain! They sell ponchos in the parks, you might want to take some with you though. They're easier to get around with than umbrellas. Also, pack some dry socks! :)

The rain only tends to last a few minutes. Find a nice store to brouse in , bring ponchos and flip flops (we put them on when the rain starts). Disney isnt bad in the rain. We find (As EP424) also siad quite a few people leave the parks when it rains which makes it a little less crowded when the rain stops. We like to do EPCOT in the rain. The countries are still nice to visit and they are all close by each other. Disney is great rain, heat, hurricane (Been there done that) etc. HAve a great time!

The best time to be at a park is in the rain. People go bezerk and leave the parks heading for the resorts, Disney Quest, and the movies. Those who are not afraid of melting get the park to themselves!

disneynovic said:
Is it possible to explore the parks in the rain? Have you done this before, and if so, how? Which parks would you visit in the rain if you had to? We are staying outside the park, and are only spending four days max in the various parks.

Only once has rain kept us from the parks and that was only because it was a rare all-day gullywasher. A light or occasional rain only means we put on something to more or less, stay dry and we still hit the rides and make the best of it. Some say Animal Kingdom is best in a little weather. I dunno. We've always been in the MK when we've been rained on.

Anyway, we'll be going on Friday and it looks like there may be some rain for each of the first days. I'm not really concerned. I'm much more concerned about the crowd volume.

Is there any site which gives an update on the numbers of people attending any given day?

Best of luck!

:umbrella:

Our last day in the world, it rained. We went to MK anyway, and practically had the place to ourselves!!! Very worth it!

Our family motto is, put on the poncho and keep on moving. I agree with everyone that the rain never lasts long and if it really starts coming down there are plenty of places to duck into and wait it out!!

Okay - now I know who the other 100 people are in the park with us when it rains - fellow DISers! :rotfl:

Our very first trip on our very first day, it rained. I was on the verge of tears on the way to our hotel room. My husband asked what was wrong and I said, "All this money and time for rain?! We are going to have to sit here all day." He said that no we were not and let's go to the Magic Kingdom. When we got there we sprinted (well ok walked quickly a four year old's legs aren't that long!) and bought some ponchos.

When we got in the parks practically everything was running with 5 minutes or no wait! So now we go in the rain no matter what! I just pack some cheap disposable ponchos from the Dollar Tree. :)

Welcome to the DIS.
Yes, it rains quite a bit in central Florida. Don't let it stop you. Get out the ponchos and have a good time and enjoy the lighter crowds.

Personally, we find MK to be the best rainy day park because there are densely populated attractions and shops and you can scoot from one to the next without spending much time outside. Epcot, on the other hand, has attractions that are far apart from each other and you get soaked walking from one to the next, though World Showcase is ok.

Go and have fun. Don't let the liquid sunshine keep you from enjoying yourself.

Being a former :cold: New Englander :cold: transplanted to :sunny: sunny FL :sunny: , I have learned how much different a "50% chance of rain" forecast is in FL as opposed to the rest of the world. In "the rest of the world", a 50% chance of rain means that there is a 50-50 shot that it wll rain ALL DAY... in FL, that means that there is a 50% chance that there will be at least one raindrop. Don't let it stop you!

(Also, I just heard on the radio that Sunday's forecast is improving...)

here is some advice about Rain in WDW I have found

Rain
When it starts raining people will leave the parks in droves, which leaves the parks a lot emptier and the queue lines with shorter waits. It is to your advantage to stay at the park and buy yourself one of the yellow rain ponchos. Or better yet plan ahead and buy one at home and bring it with you. In the summer I always suggest taking at least one clean dry pair of socks and shoes to change into if the first ones get wet. Rent a locker to store your spare socks and shoes, especially if you know it is going to rain for a good part of the day.
Hundreds of people whip out rain ponchos or purchase ponchos - all in yellow! It can be near to impossible to locate a member of your party, especially one of your children, when everyone looks alike. Purchase rain ponchos at home in a bright color; red, blue, orange, lime green - anything other than yellow, and keep them with you for the inevitable - you'll be able to spot your party a lot easier.
Do not assume that because there are no clouds in the sky it won't rain that day. It usually rains every day in the summer for at least 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the sky, as these cloudbursts tend to move in quickly. If you don't have rain jackets, you can purchase rain ponchos at a number of locations at any given park. They are small, light and compact and will fit into a book-bag easily. TIP: Rent a locker to stow your rain gear, and bring a plastic bag to put it in once it’s been used.
Don’t leave the rain gear in the room because it doesn't look like you’ll need it. As stated above: rain comes up quickly. Always have the ponchos with you.

Yes, stay in the parks if it rains.

Last year, our first morning pulling into MK parking lot, the dark clouds were as far as the eye could see. My DS8 HATES storms, but loves learning about weather. Since this was his birthday trip the decision was his, go for it or not. He wanted to go. Threw on the dollar store ponchos and headed for the tram. By the time we got in the park, it had stopped raining and no one was there, at least for an hour or so. Got on many rides right away.

Watched many potential thunderstorm clouds move in, with no rain (a bit of thunder was all you would hear), throughout the day. Park was almost empty. I guess folks thought it would rain and didn't bother trying to come in or staying. :confused3

The year before that though, our last night, we missed fireworks due to a MASSIVE Florida thunderstorm that moved in, that "puppy" wasn't going anywhere. We camped that year, off site and ended up getting a motel room near by. The tent was a mess and soaked. It was still storming when we got to the campsite, and the youngest DS wouldn't stay. I still have a hard time getting him to camp anywhere because of that one night (YES, it was that bad). They move in and move out quickly in Florida, so your chances are good it will be short lived.

On a side note, after our Sept. trip we are planning a few weekend trips and he said he wanted to camp on of those times, so he may be snapping out of it.

During the rainy spells at WDW, we typically take the opportunity to do the Monorail Drink-a-ton!!! We're only rolling with friends with babies, 1 year and under, so...I guess...we can. Always fun to go back to the parks after the rain has stopped with a little extra Disney "glow" ;) ! If you have older kids, I'd head back to the resort and nap, or, all kids favorite, take a rainy dip in the pool.

jennz said:
Okay - now I know who the other 100 people are in the park with us when it rains - fellow DISers! :rotfl:

Was that you??? :goodvibes It is funny how everyone just leaves! The rain doesn't last forever!

eeyore kelly said:
Hundreds of people whip out rain ponchos or purchase ponchos - all in yellow! It can be near to impossible to locate a member of your party, especially one of your children, when everyone looks alike.
Actually, didn't Disney switch to clear ponchos last year for just this reason?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter