Tips for first trip with child in wheelchair

Tracyee

Earning My Ears
My hubby and I will be taking our kids on their 1st WDW trip May 22-26th. DS is 5 year old, non-verbal/nonmobile but alert and aware and DD is 3 with no special needs. We are doing SeaWorld one day (free for military folks) and MK one day. The 3rd day is open for suggestions - should we do 2 days at MK?

We would like any tips on making this trip memorable for the kids, particularly DS. DS has been stable for a year but has had 2 enrollments in hospice, so thus the diesire to maximize his experiences.

What are some of the not to miss sights/sounds for little kids? Is Ft. Wilderness movie and campground accessible? Any pointers at all would be appreciated.

Also, should I get a GAC for him? His wheelchair is very apparent but he also has temperature stability issues and cannot regulate his body temp well. We may need to have access to shaded or covered areas.

Thanks everyone.

Tracyee,

First let me say I wish I was going with you on your first trip to Disney World especially with your special needs son. He is going to have a blast and I know that will make for a magical trip for ya'll. We are going next week for our 6th trip to Disney World with our 2 special needs daughters who are both in wheelchairs, both non verbal, one non mobile and the other with an amputation and non mobile unless scooting. Anyway I would love to help with your trip anyway that I can. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

OK as far as the guest assistance pass YES! Get one. It will help in so many ways. Make sure that you make it available for the cast members to see. There will be special places for the parades and lots of other things.

The movie at Fort Wilderness is accesible and very nice. Our last trip was our first time going there and we all enjoyed it. We only stayed for the sing along because the movie was The Princess Diaries and we weren't sure the girls would enjoy it. They show a different movie every night. We really enjoyed our walk back. We took the bus down to the campfire but walked back to our van. The girls enjoyed that walk through nature.

You can read our past trip on the Trips Report board. I wish you a very magical time. We live in Georgia too.

Welcome to disABILTITIES.
We've been going to WDW at least once a year since our youngest DD was 11 months old. She 17 now and got her first wheelchair when she was 2 and 1/2, so we've made a lot of wheelchair trips.
You can request a GAC from Guest Services in any of the parks. Be prepared to explain your child's needs. You are not going at a really busy time, so you may find that you don't need a GAC, but it helps to know that it is there if you do need it. Most of the ines are shaded or covered (and one of the pre-printed GACS actually has language that says to allow a wait in the shade or a coler area if the queque is in the sun for a prolonged period of time). The time you are going can be really HOT. Many of the wheelchair areas for parades are actually right in the sun and the areas often fill up fast, so we usually don't use them. Scout out the areas before the parades (they are marked on the park maps).

If he needs a place to rest or cool off, you can go to First Aid in any of the parks. The areas are cool, dimly lit, quiet and the staff are nice. They hve individual cubicles with cots where he could lie down. We have always found that a better option ourselves than going back to the resort for a rest.

Here's a link to the DIS page about touring with mobility disabilities. There is list of rides/attractions that are fully accessible while staying in the wheelchair. If he can be lifted out, he can ride on most of the things that he is tall enough for, since you can sit him on your lap or support him while he sits next to you.
For suggestions of rides, what sorts of things does he like? Music, bright colors? Is he sensitive to loud noise/loud music? Can he tolerate motion or does he need really tame rides?

Hey Sue, you always give the best tips. We were not aware of the First Aid services. We did know that they were there because we had a very nice cast member point it out last time we were there. We did not know about the cots available in there though. Our dd sometimes needs to just get out of her wheelchair to stretch and that would be great for her to cool off. Thanks for doing such a great job with the tips and helping to make so many peoples trip better.

Thanks for the tips. I am sooo excited about this trip. I am making a notes package and have put the GAC and first aid station notes on the list. I got the kids Guest of Honor badges with their names on them and keep showing the planning video to them.

I made a PS for Ohana's for that Saturday night (husband's birthday) and requested seating by the windows facing MK so hopefully, we will see some of the fireworks.

I am thinking about Chef Mickey's for dinner. Does anyone know if the characters will keep their distance if a child appears to be afraid? Despite my attempts so far, including 2 Disney on Ice Shows and a couple visits to Chuck E. Cheese, my 3 year old is petrified of the characters. Brandon loves them though. He just grins and laughs at the larger than life characters. As for what he likes- he loves motion, lights and sound, the bigger the better. His favorite character is Winnie the Pooh but I hear the ride is in refurbishment.

Do you all suggest 2 days for Magic Kingdom or 1 day for MK and 1 at Animal Kingdom? Any tidbits of information for me -- How should I tackle MK to get the most for the kids?

Thanks everyone!

Tracyee, you and your family will have a wonderful time. I see you've gotten some great advice about the GAC, etc.

My two sons have CP, and use a wheelchair, walker, & crutches. The characters have always been great with them! It seems to me that all of the CM's (characters and non-characters) make an extra special effort to interact with the special needs kids (I don't know if they receive training for that, or if they just have big hearts). They also seem to be sensitive about kids that may be frightened (like your 3 yo).

I would encourage you to do Chef Mickey's; it's one of our favorites! Have a great trip!

Wade

Hey Sue, you always give the best tips.
Thanks. I'm always glad if some of our experiences be helpful to someone else.
Another hint, but this one only works for a small child. DD and I both have fond memories of doing this on a bench in a shady spot. I hope this makes sense.
To stretch legs, sit down on the bench and have someone else place your child on your legs. The child's head will be near your knees with their bottom against your stomach. Their legs go straight up your body to your shoulders (I guess it helps to have long legs and not to have a large front - I'm pretty sure the word sensor won't let me put in any of the usual words, but you get the idea). You can stretch the child's legs and arms fairly well (although you have to find a way to stretch out the hips in a different position since this puts them at a 90 degree). We used to do this several times per day and it still makes me sad that DD is too tall to do it anymore. I miss my little baby - I've got a 5 foot tall tennager now and I don't know where the time all went. :(

Sue--
I am not the original poster but I really appreciated your tip about the first aid station. I am planning an Oct 2004 trip with my boys who are both in wheelchairs and nonverbal. The older one has problems with the heat and staying in his wheelchair for longer periods. I am glad to know that there is a place I can bring him to for a short time to cool off and get out of his chair.

Marie

We've used First Aid to use their bathroom, after DD had a seizure and just to get her out of the wheelchair (which she doesn't really want to do, but I can try). The staff have always been very nice -helpful, but giving us "space".

Hi. We have two teen DD's in wheelchairs and have also gone about once a year since they were two. I think you will have great fun!

The last time we went I explained to a cast member in guest services that one of the girls cannot tolerate heat and fatigues very easily (she has a rare metabolic disorder with hypoglycemic-like episodes), and we were given a GAC that allowed us to use the Fastpass lines without getting fastpasses. It was such a big help. The man I talked to hesitated to give it to us at first, but I explained again why I was asking (I stuck to my guns because of the encouragement I got on this board), and then he agreed.

I wanted to mention something else that might help during your visit--that each Disney park has several "companion" restrooms, that is, separate restrooms designed to allow enough space for a companion to assist a person with a disability and to do so in privacy. Don't know if you are comfortable taking your son into a women's restroom, but, if not, the companion restrooms also solve this problem. I believe the park maps show where these are. Keep in mind there is also one in each of the first aid stations. Our favorite, though, is in the lobby of the castle in MK...it's not only a very nice, spacious restroom, but on the way out, we sometimes bump into Cinderella greeting guests in the lobby! (To get to the restroom, go to the door of the castle where people enter with reservations for the restaurant and just explain you need to use the companion restroom.)

BTW, my girls were scared of getting too close to the characters when they were three, also, but still had great fun seeing them. I wonder if your DD would be more comfortable with the "face" characters, like the princesses. Some kids find them less imposing.

Hope you have a wonderful time, and please share some stories when you get back!

The companion restrooms aren't listed/marked on the park maps, but you will find them listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. You can pick the guidebooks up at Guest Services at any of the parks. They don't have a lot of information about the rides, but do tell you whether or not it is a "quiet boat ride" or a turbulent thrill ride. They also list things like whether there is a moving walkway to board the ride. Another thing that is helpful, is they tell how long each ride/attraction is. That might be very helpful for planning purposes.

We took our wheelchair bound daughter for the first time last October and she loved the Disney parks. We also spent a day at Sea World and she did not like that park as well. At the Disney parks the CM gave her a lot of attention and talked to her and at SW we got no attention. It was just a big fish. We really loved the AK and all the colors and music really got her attention. She also is a lover of Pooh and we had lunch with Pooh and friends and she was in shock of seeing her idol. Whatever you do go and have fun and don't worry if you don't get to ride many rides seeing the characters and how they interacted with Megan on many occasions brought tears to our eyes.
:D :bounce: :Pinkbounc

We took our wheelchair bound daughter for the first time last October and she loved the Disney parks. We also spent a day at Sea World and she did not like that park as well. At the Disney parks the CM gave her a lot of attention and talked to her and at SW we got no attention. It was just a big fish. We really loved the AK and all the colors and music really got her attention. She also is a lover of Pooh and we had lunch with Pooh and friends and she was in shock of seeing her idol. Whatever you do go and have fun and don't worry if you don't get to ride many rides seeing the characters and how they interacted with Megan on many occasions brought tears to our eyes.
:D :bounce: :Pinkbounc

When you make your priority seating, do you tell them about having a child in a wheelchair? I was thinking I needed to say something since both of my boys will be in chairs and that makes a difference at which tables you can fit best.
Along the same lines, can anyone tell me their experiences with eating at Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, and Restaurantsaurus? Were they really accessible? ( I know they say they are, but we have had problems in the past with places that said they were accessible.) How was the noise level? What did you think about the characters?
These boards are giving me so many tips, I've started a notebook so I don't forget anything! Thanks!

Marie

When you make your priority seating, do you tell them about
having a child in a wheelchair?
Yes. And also mention it when you are checking in for your PS. That way they will be aware and will (hopefully) give you an appropriate spot.
We've been to Crystal Palace a number of times and i would say the accessibility is good - except that the meal is a buffet, so you either will have to help you child(ren) or get their food for them. The buffet is accessible though with a wide area for access. I didn't think it was overly noisy. The chracters at that location are Winnie the Pooh nad friends. We didn't get as much time with them this year as last year, but still fine.

[eating at Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, and Restaurantsaurus? Were they really accessible? ( I know they say they are, but we

We took our two dds who are both in wheelchairs to Donald's Breakfasarus at AK and we had plenty of room. Lots of times we feel cramped in restaurants but this was great! We also had room at the Garden for the ice cream social with Mickey and friends. The princess breakfast in Epcot we were seated over towards a side table and it was great too. We find the biggest problem we run into is the waiters and waitresses bumping into the girls chairs but we have not seen this at Disney. They all seem to be more aware. The characters have always been great too.

Kelli

During my March trip my friend and I went to the Crystal Palace and I had to be very adamant with the castmember because the wanted to seat me at a table where I would not be able to manuver and get in and out to get my food. The don't seem to realize that a powerchair needs to be placed so you can back out. They insisted that I seat at a table in that window area where you are against the window or wall. The castmember seemed very angry that I refused to be put in that situation.

Hi,
Sound like your 5 yr old is just like my 6 yr old! We go every year. Our first time was when she was 3 and we did WDW for a long weekend when attending a wedding. At four, we did the Land/ Sea Disney Cruise and stayed at the POLY... O'Hana's is our favourite resturant there. We watched the fireworks! At 5 we satyed off-site at Summerfield Suites LBV . All 3 thimes we had a car as we hated the wait for buses.
If you have an extra day..... they have Playhouse Disney at MGM Studios and have a great show with Bear in The Big Ble House, Book of Pooh, Stanley and Rolie Polie Olie.... it's great. And Fantasimic ... the Mickey light show is great!
Ryleigh scares easily though after 3 years, she is getting better. We had a terrible time with characters the first year as she was terrified of the characters costumes. We had booked character meals every day too! We asked the person who leads the characters around not to stop at our table.
There isn't any rides anyone where you get to skip the line so expect to wait! The only people who get to do that are those kids who get wishes through GTKTW. However the Dumbo line goes quick.
We went in May for our land/ sea cruise and it is hot!!! Buy water off iste cause it costs a fortune. We froze drink boxes and used the misty mister alot! And use the pool!!! it helps a lot!
Also be careful,. even with a kid in the stroller... some people just don't care and they will run over or into your wheelchair/ stroller. Even during slow times, there always seemed to be someone rushing and not paying attention to where they are. This might seem rude, but we bought a bike bell and attached it to DD's wheelchair for those who didn't clear a path. Sometimes excuse me just didn't work.
Downtown Disney has a great water play area for the kids.... I think Mickey's Toon town does too.
We however have never had a "negative" time at WDW though it gets expensive!
We aren't going this way because of a house purchase.... but next year it's either March or the end of August!
Enjoy your trip... take lots of photos and ... let the magic in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter