• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for first timers marathon weekend?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
So DH was one of the fortunate ones who registered for the Dopey Challenge marathon weekend. Any tips for us? Where to stay/not to stay? And if the Dopey challenge ends Sunday, is it OK to go home Monday, or might muscles be too sore? When's a good time to arrive? Any recommendations on what/where to eat? The only WDW race he's run is the F&W half, and since bananas cost over $1 each at our hotel, his #1 tip would be-bring your own bananas!

I've only run the Disney World Marathon once (2015) and just the Marathon, not Dopey--but I thought I would mention that I stayed at a cabin at Fort Wilderness and LOVED it. Having a full kitchen was really convenient for being able to cook my own dinner the night before the race and have breakfast the morning of. Also, if he is bringing the whole family (spouse, kids, etc.) it is very convenient to have the two separate rooms (living room and bedroom) so he can get ready in one room while the rest of you sleep in the other and he won't disturb the rest of the family.
I found race transportation to be very convenient from Fort Wilderness too.

So DH was one of the fortunate ones who registered for the Dopey Challenge marathon weekend. Any tips for us? Where to stay/not to stay? And if the Dopey challenge ends Sunday, is it OK to go home Monday, or might muscles be too sore? When's a good time to arrive? Any recommendations on what/where to eat? The only WDW race he's run is the F&W half, and since bananas cost over $1 each at our hotel, his #1 tip would be-bring your own bananas!
Marathon weekend 2015 was my first experience and I only ran the 10k. It was my first running event ever. All disney resorts are host resorts for marathon weekend and so are the swan and dolphin so as for transportation to the races they will all offer it. We stayed at POR and it worked out very well. POR is a favorite of mine and would be my recommendation at the moderate level. At the deluxe level I would probably recommend a a monorail resort because you could take the monorail to the races. It is ok to go home Monday a lot of people did including myself and a relative of mine that ran dopey. For dopey make sure you arrive before Wednesday or early in the day Wednesday so you can get to the expo to pick up your stuff. Eating wise I wouldn't recommend doing a huge buffet or anything but a decent size meal the night before. We at the food court at POR the night before my race but I did eat a bigger breakfast at Boma that day. Main thing is to enjoy the experience and show off your medals in the parks.

And if the Dopey challenge ends Sunday, is it OK to go home Monday, or might muscles be too sore?

I personally wouldn't want to get on a plane that fast. But I'd want days in the park after, too.

Possibly not relevant to the Dopey, but for Wine&Dine last year we were soooooo sore when we woke up in the morning, forced ourselves to get up and out, went to Animal Kingdom, and for half the day whimpered about our legs. Suddenly, and at about the same time, the soreness lifted and we felt fabulous. It was crazy. Decided to hop to MK, and while we stood in the bus line for MK we stretched out, and felt even better.

So I'd want days in the parks to work out the soreness (and to not be on a plane with my legs cramping up).

I definitely wouldn't want to get on a plane on Monday. That would mean missing DATW, and that's the reward for four days of getting up at stupid o'clock. :)

I'd recommend arriving Tuesday night or early on Wednesday. That'll give you time to go to the expo to pick everything up, get settled into your hotel, and have time to run to a grocery store for bananas and anything else you might want. As for where to stay, I prefer the Epcot resorts. They offer easy access to the parks, plenty of food and entertainment options, and a short drive to the start on race day.

We did POR for the marathon in 2013 and OKW for the Dopey this year. Both were great, easy access to the starting areas. In 2013 we drove home to VA (12+hrs)right after the race and lunch at DTD we had to shower at the POR pool since we did not have late checkout. I definitely would not recommend leaving on Sunday that trip back was miserable. For the Dopey this year, we pushed the departure/drive to Monday and that worked great! We were able to have a quiet recovery day after the marathon prior to our celebration dinner at O'hana. We didn't use Disney transportation for the races this year. Driving to the start area at EPCOT is extremely easy from OKW and after we learned our lesson from the Frozen 5K to not go to the starting area too early we were able to stay in the relative comfort of our car until we actually had to proceed to the porta-potties and corrals for the start.

I did just the Full this past January and would not have wanted to get on a plane Monday, spending some days after in the parks was great (plus everyone where's there medals which is fun). Doing Dopey this time around & for sure will be spending a couple days after in the parks as the walking around helps not be as stiff.
Tip, Bring throwaway clothes for before to keep your warm in the corrals, it's a long wait :)

I did Dopey this year and got on a plane to go home Monday evening. It was fine.

Definitely agree with the recommendation to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday morning.

I think the tough thing about Dopey is the 4 early wake-ups...for me it was hard to accept that between finishing the races at whatever time, then showering and taking a nap, that I would miss park time and time with my friends. Just comes with the territory.

Having said that, I can't wait to do it again! :)

Oh yeah, and for your husband bring layers...lots of layers. More than you think he'll need. If there's an unexpected cold snap like there was this year he'll be happy to have them when waiting in the corrals.

If your resort does not have an elevator I recommend requesting a ground floor room it definitely makes packing up easier and you probably are not going to want to do stairs after the runs. We were on the second floor for the W&D in 2011 and everyone in my family got a good laugh watching us try to walk down the stairs the next day.

I have run the Half in 2012, Full in 2013, and the Dopey the last two years. Our group has stayed at POR each year and have really enjoyed it; transportation works well, the dining options are nice, and taking the boat to Downtown Disney/Disney Springs is a nice alternative to bus transportation. Every year we consider going somewhere else for a new experience, but we end up going back to POR. I think we would have an equally great time at any other resort we could choose but, as you have seen from other posters, poor experiences seem to be few and far between at any of the Disney properties. As for what/where to eat, that's personal preference. Our group has chosen to eat on the Disney Properties (Resorts, Parks, and Downtown Disney) so I am sure there are better price conscious options, but we really haven't had any bad dining experiences. Like everything else at Disney, you are paying a bit of a premium; but they tend to do things right.

After the half and the full, my first race at both distances, I would not have wanted to board a plane the next morning because of stiffness/soreness. After the Dopey the last two years my legs have felt a lot better. This past January my flight home was at 10:15 Monday morning and I felt fine (other than adding another early wake-up to my "vacation"). So I would say that depending on level of fitness and comfort with the marathon distance physically flying home Monday is not a problem. However, each of the other years I have stayed at least one extra day to relax, go to a park, golf, etc. and that has been much more enjoyable. So it's really all about what you want to do and what your schedules will allow.

Our group has arrived Wednesday between Noon and 3:00 PM the last couple years. It has given us plenty of time to get to the expo, get unpacked/settled, and have a nice relaxing dinner before the first of our four early bed times. Getting enough sleep and just getting out of bed at ~3 AM each day is the most difficult part of the trip for me.

Did Dopey this year and we flew in on Wednesday and flew back to Virginia on Monday afternoon. We stayed at AoA which was nice because we had two different sleeping areas and two bathrooms. Bus ride was relatively quick to Epcot each morning for the start and for the return back to the resort after the races. I ran with a family member each day (except the marathon) and we maintained a fun but not difficult pace. Each day we went to the parks and stayed out pretty late. Probably the combo of not pushing too hard during the runs and staying on my feet at the parks helped keep me from getting tight or sore. No issue with the plane ride home except for extreme sadness from family that we were leaving Disney.

Only you can decide what pace you want to maintain and how quickly your body bounces back.

Our group has arrived Wednesday between Noon and 3:00 PM the last couple years. It has given us plenty of time to get to the expo, get unpacked/settled, and have a nice relaxing dinner before the first of our four early bed times. Getting enough sleep and just getting out of bed at ~3 AM each day is the most difficult part of the trip for me.

Not that I want to see more cars on the road, but if you drive to the start, you can get away with sleeping in until 345. Up at 345, out the door at 425, in the lot at 445. :)

Not that I want to see more cars on the road, but if you drive to the start, you can get away with sleeping in until 345. Up at 345, out the door at 425, in the lot at 445. :)
We were afraid of getting caught in traffic so we still got up at 3 and were on the road by about 3:45. It sounds like we could have gotten some extra sleep and still made it to the parking lot fine. We just ended up napping in the car and watched all the people getting off of the buses and monorails with that extra time.

Between nervous excitement and people in my group who require a little extra prep time I'm not sure my length and quality of sleep during those four days has much room for improvement. I am sure I am doing as well or better than most of the other Dopey participants in that department. It's just one of the things you deal with when you are Dopey. :-)

I did just the Full this past January and would not have wanted to get on a plane Monday, spending some days after in the parks was great (plus everyone where's there medals which is fun). Doing Dopey this time around & for sure will be spending a couple days after in the parks as the walking around helps not be as stiff.
Thanks-yes I've already gotten my "orders" about making reservations. DH wants to return on Tuesday rather than Monday now for exactly that reason-he plans to walk around the parks Monday wearing his "bling". I'm so glad to know that he won't be alone in doing that!

Not sure if it was already mentioned but they had a party at Downtown Disney on Sunday this year and it was the place to show off your medals!!

Not sure if it was already mentioned but they had a party at Downtown Disney on Sunday this year and it was the place to show off your medals!!

I don't remember seeing that info-sounds like something DH would definitely be up for! Although-WAIT! After 4 consecutive days of 3;00 wake ups and running almost 50 miles, this party better end by 7:00!

I don't remember seeing that info-sounds like something DH would definitely be up for! Although-WAIT! After 4 consecutive days of 3;00 wake ups and running almost 50 miles, this party better end by 7:00!

I can't remember the exact details but it seemed to start in the afternoon and wrap up that evening. Discounts offered at select dining establishments, etc.....seemed to be one big get together for marathon weekend runners, families, friends, volunteers, etc.

But I looked it up, and The official name is the "Cool Down Party" from 2 pm to 8:00 pm.
http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/

We've done Dopey the last two years, and are doing it again in 2016. Personally if you can swing a monorail resort, it is SOOO worth it, we stayed at OKW this year (2015), and it was hellacious getting to the 1/2 an full start, traffic was terrible. We stayed at BLT the year before and it was super simple to just jump on the monorail and be there. In 2016 we are staying in a Polynesian studio, I am looking forward to that!

Our first year of Dopey we originally planned on flying in wednesday morning, that was the year of all the bad storms in the midwest that delayed a bunch of first year Dopeys. We changed about a month or two out to flying in tuesday evening, which I am glad we did. You get in, get a good nights sleep, (very important because the next four nights its not going to happen!), Wednesday you can take the expo nice and leisurely, and then leisurely get ready for the beginning of four days of ... well you probably can figure that part out. :)

I would NOT recommend flying back Monday, if you can I would recommend staying around until Wednesday, enjoy the super runner's high that comes with Dopey, wear the bling, take pics with the characters, etc.(we have had an ADR at Chef Mickey's the last two years, great idea to get pics with all the characters!). Right now we are planning on staying at WDW until Thursday and then flying out to California for the Rebel Challenge. Why? because I like to torture myself. Seriously though this last January we stayed around for the whole next week, WAY to long, and so depressing hearing about all the runners in California.

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter