tips for disney in the rain?

dorothymantooth

Earning My Ears
I have been checking the weather for my trip and see that there may be some rain during our trip. I know it is still early (10 days out) but does anyone have any tips on how to get the most out of Disney in the rain?:)

Throw a poncho over your head and carry on. If it's a cold rain, bring a change of shoes/socks.

Put. on your poncho, and continue. We always carry a cheapie (less than $1) poncho in our back pockets when we go to Disney. When it rains, we pull it out, put it on and go. At this point, we're all very good at getting inside a covered area, taking the drippy things off, shaking off the excess water and folding the ponchos back up small enough to go back in the pocket. We re-use the same cheap poncho several times before they get ripped. I usually take one per person for every 2-3 days we're going to be there...so for a week, I'd take 3 per person.

You can find the cheapie ponchos at Walmart, in the Camping department...last time I bought them, it was was like 89 cents each.

IF you're there during hurricane season (June-November) then you may want to get the more expensive heavier gauge vinyl ponchos (like the ones they sell in the park...you can get that type at Walmart also for $6 or $7) REason for the heavier ones is the storms during hurricane season tend to have strong winds that will rip the cheap ponchos to shreds quickly.

But for the usual cloud-burst at Disney during this time of year, the cheap ones will do fine. AND another tip..if you're at one of the night time spectaculars, like Fantasmic or Illuminations, and it gets way too cold to be comfortable...put on the cheapie poncho...it will insulate you and you'll soon be toasty warm. In the winter, even when it's sunny and warm during the day, the night time temps can drop off quickly.

As for tips...well it used to be that most people would leave when it starts raining, but our experience of numerous trips during the last 5 years is that most people do not leave unless it's pouring rain for hours and hours and hours. IF it's light rain, most people stay...or even heavy rain that's over quickly, they stay. So the lines may get a tiny bit shorter, but not a lot shorter, not any more. Mainly the only people we see leave when it's raining are those with babies in strollers...everyone else just trudges on to the next attraction. After all, the majority of attractions are inside...but even the ones outside still run in the rain as long as there is no high winds or lightening close. The only consolation if you get an all-day downpour is that the ride lines DO go down dramatically if it continues to pour all day. The puddles are deep...and the pavement gets slippery, though, so watch where you walk and don't let the kids run ahead (we've seen some pretty bad falls from slipping on slick pavement at Epcot.) We have been there when the walkways are over-the-ankles flooded...that's when there's no line at all at Soarin' in the middle of the day.

Remember that if there's a chance that it will rain at any point in the day, it will show rain in the forecast, and there's pretty much always a chance you could get a shower in Florida so you shouldn't stress out about it too much. A lot of the time, you'll get a quick shower and that will be that -- doesn't really require much on your part beyond figuring out something to do indoors for a few minutes while the rain is passing through. It's a good time to check out Philharmagic, Carousel of Progress or some other show that you can reliably see with no wait, and hopefully, by the time the show is over, the shower will have wrapped up. I can't tell you how many times I've emerged from an attraction to learn that a rain shower has come and gone while I was in there. Point is, under most circumstances, it shouldn't really harsh your groove too much.

Assuming you've got a smartphone, just keep your eyes on the radar if it starts to look like rain and you'll be able to see whether it's something that is just passing through or that will be of greater concern. Most of the time, it's not a big deal and will actually assist in clearing the crowds out some.

If you are going to have a stroller with you I would just bring your rain coats from home. I have never been a fan of the ponchos at all. We always bring our raincoats and put them folded in a small bag in the bottom of the stroller. If rain comes down I can grab the bag quick and we are all dry and much more comfortable than if we had ponchos. We go in the summer so we normally bring umbrellas in for those days when rain is forecast. Also if you do have a stroller don't forget either a rain cover for it or at least use a poncho to cover it while you go into attractions. There is nothing worse than coming out of a ride and finding your stroller is soaked and your little one needs to sit on a wet seat. We always cover ours if it even looks like it could rain.

I definitely recommend a quality poncho vs. the dollar store poncho that's recommended on these boards often. I bought good ponchos by Coleman at Big Lots for only $6 each, and what a difference. A few years back, we were in the Caribbean and it poured rain and all we had brought were dollar store ponchos. The hood did not stay on your head if you had hair and they were sleeveless. Useless. These Coleman ones had ties for the hood and were much longer - and with sleeves.

It rained one night for us pretty steadily for several hours. We decided to go to DHS which was a good option since its small, short walks between attractions, and most of the queues were covered or indoors. Also lots of attractions inside. The only part that was bothersome was that it was very hot/humid so it was warm in those ponchos and it was annoying having to take them on and off for each attraction.

Disney in the rain is actually pretty terrific. Be flexible enough to change your plans (Animal Kingdom in the pouring rain is miserable. Trust me. Hollywood Studios? Awesome. We rode TSMM 6 times in about 90 minutes!)

A good quality poncho is a must if its heavy rain. If its light rain, you could probably get away with the cheapie ones. I brought them when we went and after about an hour bought a good one for my youngest, by lunchtime we got them for the rest of us.

There is a long running debate on these boards regarding 'cheap' poncho's vs Disney poncho's.
I've tried both and personally find it easier to use Disney ones but you need to read the threads and try it out for yourself... a bit like the DDP discussions, there will always be those that swear by one or the other, but you need to determine what's best for you by trial (and possibly error).

The long and short of the rain bit... don't let it stop your plans, I've got wet many times at WDW and it's never ruined my day... unlike here in the UK, when you get rained on over there everything seems to dry quite quickly.

Whatever happens, enjoy your trip.

Thank you all for the tips! You are all making me feeling like rain in the forecast does not necessarily mean that the day will be a bust!:banana:

I have been checking the weather for my trip and see that there may be some rain during our trip. I know it is still early (10 days out) but does anyone have any tips on how to get the most out of Disney in the rain?:)

I just checked your forecast and it looks like Wednesday, the 13th has a 40% chance of rain but that's scattered thunderstorms which means it could be anywhere in the 45 square miles of Disney World. And it won't last that long. Saturday, the 16th is the worst with a 60% chance of rain but that could easily change between now and then. Everything else is "throw a poncho in the bag in case we need it" stuff.

Thank you all for the tips! You are all making me feeling like rain in the forecast does not necessarily mean that the day will be a bust!:banana:

This is so true!! We were at WDW during Hurricane Isaac last August and were at MK the day one of Isaac's arms took a whack at us. It wasn't just raining, it was RAINING all morning and we had a blast!! (We brought good quality raincoats and ponchos, knowing the wind would just kill those cheapo less than a dollar ones. Those are really only good for a brief shower IMO.) We had an ADR at CP before park open then made our way through more than half the park before it stopped in the afternoon. We had so much fun just trudging through the rain and laughing about it.

The only "catch" to it was that for many attractions, we had to take our ponchos/raincoats off before entering. I think we got wetter doing that than we did walking in the rain. Just go with it.....a rainy day at Disney is better than a nice day anywhere else!

We always go Winter so we have not had a LOT of rain but we have had some. We always take good poncho and cheep ones. If it is raining, or a good chance of rain...good ones, other wise, cheep ones in our pockets. We take crocks and if it's raining, we wear those, even in winter. Your feet are going to get wet any way. We take dry sock in a plastic bag for later. Our favorite day EVER out of many trips to the MK was a rain day. It was cold and raining when we got up that morning but we decided to go anyway, mid January and low crowds . There was NO ONE there. Every ride was a walk on. We wore warm shirts under good poncho, baseball caps and our crocks and we really were fine. About 11, the rain stopped but very few people came.
We stashed our wet stuff in a locker, shed the warmer clothes and put on dry socks and had a wonderful day including a walk up at CRT! It's all about attitude. Now at home I would freak out if anyone saw me look the way I looked and I am not even close to a vain person but no one knew us and who cared!!! GREAT MEMORIES.

Check the crowd levels. Rain doesn't necessarily mean it won't be crowded. We were there January 2nd one year in an all day downpour and the Magic Kingdom was packed. You might want to make an ADR if the crowds are predicted to be high.

We had to use our ponchos twice this year. I was glad I had bought decent ones at Wal-Mart. Parks were still fun. We totally walked on the safari in AK. We were called the poncho family -There were six of us in different colors

The only "catch" to it was that for many attractions, we had to take our ponchos/raincoats off before entering. I think we got wetter doing that than we did walking in the rain. Just go with it.....a rainy day at Disney is better than a nice day anywhere else!

Tip - take a plastic bag (get a bigger one from maybe Target or Wal Mart) with you and just stuff the ponchos into that for when you are on the attractions. No need to worry about folding them up, etc. Only put the ponchos back into the original (or zipper bag) holders after they have dried off back in your room.

The first thing to remember is that most of the time, Florida rain is scattered showers/storms. If you end up caught in the rain, it probably won't last very long.

I'd say take a jacket or poncho and continue about your day as normal. On all my trips, I've never been caught in the rain for an extended period of time. On my most recent trip, though, there was a very thick mist/drizzle in the air the whole day we were at MK. It turned into rain a couple of times. But my attitude was, "Hey, I'm at Disney World, not work, and it's about 40 degrees warmer here than at home, so I'm just going to keep on keepin' on and not worry about the weather." We had a great day!

Rain has never stopped us, like most have said, enjoy the short lines. What I would like to do is Disney in the SNOW! Though it might not be "fun", it would be a once in a lifetime event, and the pictures of the park and the family would be priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter