Tips and encouragement please!

Wishing on a star

DIS Veteran
I haven't really been participating in WISH. But I do have a few pounds to loose. 10 would be good. 15 would be great!

Well, I have been really dieting. Having a small serving of what I call 'nuts and twigs' cereal for breakfast. (it is organic oat-bran flakes from Food City, not too bad!) A small lunch. (except a few fattening lunches out - and not big-macs either!) Then a small sensible supper. Nothing fried at all... Grilled Salmon or lean Ground Sirloin, etc... No bread at all, small servings of potatoes or pasta. No snacks - especially after supper! No sweets - just an occasional Hersheys miniature or something like that for a sweet tooth. On top of all this - since I have been getting ready for our 4-Nite DCL Bahama's cruise, I have been working out to my new BahaMen CD almost every single evening!!! ("Who let the Dogs out!! Woof woof woof!!!!" LOL!!!) And, I mean a real work-out, aerobics WITH the hand weights.

Several weeks now, and not ONE pound off!!!!

Help!!
I am not ready to quit - but heck, why cut back so much and word so hard for nothing?

Any info. or tips??? What could be screwing this up??? I do have hypothyroid - but take my Levoxyl every day.... Something is backfiring here. It is really discouraging. :confused:

Could it be that you're taking in to few calories and your metabolism is slowing down? I have hypothyroidism as well and had just gotten down to my WW goal weight. It started to climb until the doc finally caught the problem.

Also, do you drink lots (and lots :D ) of water?

Good luck!
Lois

Hey Lois.

I wondered about the metabolism slowing too... You mention this, and having seen your Dr. What details can you give. How can I know if this is the case, and how to get my metabolism going again? I was hoping the exercise workout every evening would help keep my metabolism going!!!!

Thanks!!!

PS: I am trying to increase the water intake.

I agree, I think you have cut your calories down too far, do you know how many calories on average you are eating on any given day. My understanding is that it should NEVER be less then 1,200/day. If you are eating less then this you need to increase your intake, but do it with good whole foods.

Wishing -

Have you had your medication level checked lately. Especially in the beginning, or if you take other meds, your level might change and your dose may need to be changed.

Also, if you're only eating 1000 or less calories per day... your body will go into starvation mode and make use of whatever you put in but burn as little as possible.

Do you have a water cooler? They're the best thing!! The water is always there and always tastes good. You can rent one from Deer Park or whatever water supplier you choose, or purchase one at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Take care,
Lois

I found I had cut too much, only ate 3 meals a day (yogurt for breakfast, small salad for lunch and a sensible dinner). Once I started eating on a more regular basis, with snacks, I started losing weight not a lot since I was already close to my goal, but it was just nice to start losing again.

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts. :D

I can't really imagine cutting back TOO much to lose weight! Hhhhmmmm???? I think my dosage of levoxyl is about right. Just went up to .88 a few months ago.

The only other thing that comes to mind, is that I am drinking some Cokes. Just couldn't completely give them up! I don't guzzle them all day or anything, and they are always diluted with a ton of ice. But, I have wondered about even that moderate amount of sugar.

It is hard for me cut back too much... my blood sugar will go down on me, with all of those neg. effects, and that makes it soooo hard to diet!

Has anybody heard of the Biotin/Chromium combo that is supposed to be good for blood sugar and metabolism? Especially with insulin problems like insulin resistance. Has anyone else posted on this board about taking this type of thing?
I saw it in Swanson's catalog, and I am dying to try it.

I am psyched to loose these pounds! :Pinkbounc

Wishing -

Before you take anything new, you should check with your doc. It probably sounds like a broken record, but believe me it's true. I can't take anything OTC because of all the meds and their possible interactions.

Lois

I am not on insulin, but I do have a glucose intolerance. My blood sugar is on the low end. If I am eating well it is in the low 70's, skip a meal it drops. I don't drink soft drinks but once a month, if that so I can't help you with whether or not they would affect your weight. I have heard they do. My brother stopped drinking them and lost 10lbs without making any other change, so they may.
I agree you should talk with your doctor before adding anything to your meds. If you are really concerned about your diet, I would see if he will recommend you to a nutritionist to get you on a plan to keep your blood sugars up. I had a 1 on 1 session and really liked it. I go later this month for the follow up visit. She is the one that said I was not eating enough. I really was worried I would gain weight. I have lost some instead.:D

Thanks again for all of the wonderful input!

You have all had some good points and good advice.
I do wish I knew of a good nutritionist in this area to go see.

Thanks again, this board is super!

My nutritionist was through the hospital. I think that is where most of them work in this area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter