Tipping the concierge . . . the poll . . .

Overall, what do you consider should be done with the concierge tip envelope?

• Leave no tip regardless (are we not already paying for their services?)

• Leave $1-2 per person per day if you have only minimal requests

• Leave $3-4 per person if you have only minimal requests

• Leave $5-6 per person if you have only minimal requests

• Leave more than $6 per person if you have only minimal requests

• Leave $1-2 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staff

• Leave $3-4 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staf

• Leave $5-6 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staf

• Leave more than $6 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staf

• Leave set amount, i.e. $100 for 7 night cruise

• Leave set amount, i.e. $200 for 7 night cruise

• Leave set amount, i.e. $300 or more for 7 night cruise

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think OP is saying the people wait until they get the vouchers in the stateroom, put them in the envelopes, distribute them, and then go to GS and remove the tips from their bill thus the vouchers are worthless, but by the time the servers, etc. find out, the "dirtbags" are long gone.

I don't think concierge is the same process, but I'm sure someone else will answer

What I took from jcjen519's post is that she was told that people fill out their gratuity sheet (position x number of people in stateroom x $amount). If you are concierge, in addition to the positions of stateroom host, server, etc, there is also a line for the concierge. You may fill out what you'd like to leave the concierge on the sheet, turn it in to guest services, have them charge that to your onboard account and get a voucher for your concierge tip. Put that voucher in the concierge envelope you are provided. Hand said envelope to concierge. They think you've tipped them. Return to guest services. Remove tip from your onboard account, essentially rendering the concierge's tip worthless, when the concierge goes to cash in their voucher.

If that's the case, I still maintain a person who would do that, to give the appearance of tipping, while really having no intention to tip, is a dirt bag.

If that wasn't what jcjen519 was talking about, then my apologies. Because I read it wrong then.

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just an honest question but I'm not understanding the debate about tips. I have always tipped for any service I have received and that is the norm. So I am honestly confused why tipping is such an issue? If I go out to eat, I leave a tip, get my hair done , leave a tip etc...so if you book a cruise you know tipping is part of the deal so I'm just honestly asking why it is even in question?
I mean if you go anywhere and have terrible, horrible service and someone is rude to you, I can understand not wanting to leave a tip but that is an extreme case and you would not know that until in that situation so why beforehand is this even thought of?
I mean does anyone ever go to a restaurant and beforehand just think Im going to eat here and get service and just not leave any tip because Im paying for the meal and that's enough? Because, Im reading alot on these boards that people feel this way about the servers, state room, concierge servers etc on the cruise...
Again, I don't want to be flamed here or start a debate..I'm just honestly puzzled by this? Am I missing something?

I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just an honest question but I'm not understanding the debate about tips. I have always tipped for any service I have received and that is the norm. So I am honestly confused why tipping is such an issue? If I go out to eat, I leave a tip, get my hair done , leave a tip etc...so if you book a cruise you know tipping is part of the deal so I'm just honestly asking why it is even in question?
I mean if you go anywhere and have terrible, horrible service and someone is rude to you, I can understand not wanting to leave a tip but that is an extreme case and you would not know that until in that situation so why beforehand is this even thought of?
I mean does anyone ever go to a restaurant and beforehand just think Im going to eat here and get service and just not leave any tip because Im paying for the meal and that's enough? Because, Im reading alot on these boards that people feel this way about the servers, state room, concierge servers etc on the cruise...
Again, I don't want to be flamed here or start a debate..I'm just honestly puzzled by this? Am I missing something?

I think a lot of the concierge tipping issues spawn from the fact that there isn't a recommended amount as with the other tipped positions. Eating out, hair services, etc are generally ~20% of the cost of service/meal, but what is the norm for tipping on a cruise? If DCL puts concierge in a tipping position (salary lessened/removed) then it'd be highly beneficial for some cruisers to have a recommendation or baseline amount.

I was informed, that concierge is not a salaried position. Nor, is the stateroom host, head server, restaurant server or assistant restaurant server. These are the only positions, guests are allowed to charge tips to their onboard accounts. An automatic gratuity is added to bar service. The bartender in the concierge lounge is salaried....not a tipped position.

I wish we had a bit more guidance with concierge tipping. I hate asking, what is appropriate or normal. Thankfully, I seem to be above the average because I hate, appearing cheap or unappreciative.

What I took from jcjen519's post is that she was told that people fill out their gratuity sheet (position x number of people in stateroom x $amount). If you are concierge, in addition to the positions of stateroom host, server, etc, there is also a line for the concierge. You may fill out what you'd like to leave the concierge on the sheet, turn it in to guest services, have them charge that to your onboard account and get a voucher for your concierge tip. Put that voucher in the concierge envelope you are provided. Hand said envelope to concierge. They think you've tipped them. Return to guest services. Remove tip from your onboard account, essentially rendering the concierge's tip worthless, when the concierge goes to cash in their voucher.

If that's the case, I still maintain a person who would do that, to give the appearance of tipping, while really having no intention to tip, is a dirt bag.

If that wasn't what jcjen519 was talking about, then my apologies. Because I read it wrong then.
this is what i was saying. a few of the keys on laptop are not working sorry if i was not too clear. haha

My brother is thinking of cruising concierege. So, will he be getting envelopes for their tips too? I'm confused. I'm Miss DCL to them and I want to be able to tell them. (The Fantasy) Otherwise, his wife will claim "no clue". I'll keep my name calling to myself ...lol but you get the idea.

On the night you get the vouchers for everyone else, you get another page that you note what you want to tip concierge (if any...it's definitely optional). Fill it out, you have an envelope for them as well, track them down, give them the envelope.

First, not everyone is raised in a family that KNOWS about tipping, or is ever in a position TO tip. Not everyone goes to salons; I had my hair cut at home for years. Then I went to Supercuts, then back to my mom b/c she cut hair better than anyone else in the world (she learned-by-watching in San Francisco at the Sassoon teaching salon, while getting her own hair cut for free by students). We never went to nice restaurants. The number of tips left by my mom for things was minimal, because we simply didn't get a lot of experiences where you leave a tip. My mom did know about tipping, as she was raised in a well-off family, but her own life went a different way. Thankfully, later on she remarried and also got a much better job, and our lifestyle went up a bit. My stepdad was always well off, and therefore my brother and I were able to see a different sort of lifestyle than we had first grown up in.

Anyway, long story short, not everyone knows.

And then with concierge there is absolutely no guidance. How do they split the tips? If I handed my tip envelope to Wensdae, does she get the tips, or did she split between the other two onboard? Who knows? I assume it's split, but no one is telling us. Is a good way of tipping per day? Per person? If we ask for a lot from them? If we don't? etc etc. Is just their presence worth a tip?

If they brought down their salary once they realized people were tipping, then they should give us guidance.

I tipped them far better than my husband was happy with (and he's usually the tip guy while I despise the practice on principle!), though less than some, simply because we barely used them. If I'd asked them for more, we would have tipped them more. If the one thing I thought I asked them for help with had actually been done, I would have tipped them more. (I'm still confused why they didn't take care of that one thing for me) But as it was we tipped what I felt was nicely, and what DH thought was excessive.

It would be lovely to have guidance.

So I'm not sure there's an *issue*, it's just helping one another have knowledge.

I was informed, that concierge is not a salaried position.

By whom? While I feel OK believing that they've *reduced* the salary, it's hard to believe they have NO salary, when tipping them is totally optional.

On the night you get the vouchers for everyone else, you get another page that you note what you want to tip concierge (if any...it's definitely optional). Fill it out, you have an envelope for them as well, track them down, give them the envelope.

First, not everyone is raised in a family that KNOWS about tipping, or is ever in a position TO tip. Not everyone goes to salons; I had my hair cut at home for years. Then I went to Supercuts, then back to my mom b/c she cut hair better than anyone else in the world (she learned-by-watching in San Francisco at the Sassoon teaching salon, while getting her own hair cut for free by students). We never went to nice restaurants. The number of tips left by my mom for things was minimal, because we simply didn't get a lot of experiences where you leave a tip. My mom did know about tipping, as she was raised in a well-off family, but her own life went a different way. Thankfully, later on she remarried and also got a much better job, and our lifestyle went up a bit. My stepdad was always well off, and therefore my brother and I were able to see a different sort of lifestyle than we had first grown up in.

Anyway, long story short, not everyone knows.

And then with concierge there is absolutely no guidance. How do they split the tips? If I handed my tip envelope to Wensdae, does she get the tips, or did she split between the other two onboard? Who knows? I assume it's split, but no one is telling us. Is a good way of tipping per day? Per person? If we ask for a lot from them? If we don't? etc etc. Is just their presence worth a tip?

If they brought down their salary once they realized people were tipping, then they should give us guidance.

I tipped them far better than my husband was happy with (and he's usually the tip guy while I despise the practice on principle!), though less than some, simply because we barely used them. If I'd asked them for more, we would have tipped them more. If the one thing I thought I asked them for help with had actually been done, I would have tipped them more. (I'm still confused why they didn't take care of that one thing for me) But as it was we tipped what I felt was nicely, and what DH thought was excessive.

It would be lovely to have guidance.

So I'm not sure there's an *issue*, it's just helping one another have knowledge.

By whom? While I feel OK believing that they've *reduced* the salary, it's hard to believe they have NO salary, when tipping them is totally optional.
i cant recall if i was directly told that they earn $0.00 besides tips. i was told they earn a little bit while dry docked, and while working nothing besides tips. not 100% that `nothing` = $0.00 to the person i spoke with. that was not really clear.

i cant recall if i was directly told that they earn $0.00 besides tips. i was told they earn a little bit while dry docked, and while working nothing besides tips. not 100% that `nothing` = $0.00 to the person i spoke with. that was not really clear.

So concierge staff told you? Interesting.

It's just so odd. Our concierge staff seemed intelligent, but it doesn't seem intelligent to take a job where you're working so hard, and your compensation (beyond a tiny room, food, and getting to see the ocean quite often) is ONLY tips, when tipping is optional with no guidance given.

I didn't say, they only receive tips. I said, they are not salaried positions. Meaning, they do not receive fixed compensation.

It's just so odd. Our concierge staff seemed intelligent, but it doesn't seem intelligent to take a job where you're working so hard, and your compensation (beyond a tiny room, food, and getting to see the ocean quite often) is ONLY tips, when tipping is optional with no guidance given.

Why would that be unintelligent? If your job performance is excellent and above average...you can likely make MORE $$$$ via commission or gratuity vs salary or hourly wage.

I find it odd as well. We've been sailing in concierge suites on DCL since the 2006. The concierge staff at one time was a salaried position, they would refuse tips if offered. Those of us on the board used to joke about the "three times rule", meaning that they would rarely accept a tip until offered it the third time. It was around 2009/2010 (IIRC) that tips became "required" for the concierge staff.

I have a hard time believing DCL stripped them of all salary and placed them on tips only. Reduced their salary and added them to the tipping pool, yes probably. But zero salary and tips only, no way.

On the Dream last summer, I was told given the impression by a concierge staffer that they do get a salary, but tips were appreciated. I was also told that the 3 concierges pool their tips when I tried to tip one of them who took care of us at our cabana. This concierge expressed a preference that I just tip the team at the end of the cruise if I felt so inclined. No inside information here, but I am guessing that they reduced their salaries, so they depend on tips more, but not exclusively.

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments on this thread. We are booked on our first Disney Cruise in January 2014 but here in New Zealand we don't tip anyone for any service at all. Service fees are always fully included in all costs. As you can imagine service or tourist staff here in New Zealand LOVE guests from the USA who tip as it is an added bonus! As part of our research for our cruise we have been researching tipping as well to make sure we do the right thing and don't offend anyone!

I realize that this thread is not all that active and who knows if those of you who posted in the earliest read this anymore but I would like to point out that the mentality that you paid extra for the concierge room so you shouldn't tip the people that go out of their way to make your cruise that much more special are wrong......you pay extra not just for the person but for twice the size room and extra amenities as well. While I agree if you don't feel that these people helped you in any way and they don't deserve a tip from you then you shouldn't tip them. I just ask anyone that is deciding not to tip on a cruise do so with valid reasons.

I don't know what the concierge staff makes but I do know that the servers only make $26 every two weeks plus their tips so I would never take those tips that are automatically put on our bill off even if I didn't do the dining room service every night.

For us we have always had great service from all the staff we've dealt with on the ships.

I realize that this thread is not all that active and who knows if those of you who posted in the earliest read this anymore but I would like to point out that the mentality that you paid extra for the concierge room so you shouldn't tip the people that go out of their way to make your cruise that much more special are wrong......you pay extra not just for the person but for twice the size room and extra amenities as well. While I agree if you don't feel that these people helped you in any way and they don't deserve a tip from you then you shouldn't tip them. I just ask anyone that is deciding not to tip on a cruise do so with valid reasons. I don't know what the concierge staff makes but I do know that the servers only make $26 every two weeks plus their tips so I would never take those tips that are automatically put on our bill off even if I didn't do the dining room service every night. For us we have always had great service from all the staff we've dealt with on the ships.

Seriously... $13 a week?

I'm going on the dreams cruise 9/o7/14 and i'll rather prepay at guest services and then give extra $40 per night at dinner for a family of 5. Extra for room service not sure how much yet.

We sailed in February and tipped the Dream Concierge Lounge hosts $50/ea and gave the bartender $20.

We just returned from a cruise on the Fantasy. I cannot tell you how amazing the concierge team was, and how much extra you receive. I was worried about the tip, and did receive one envelope for the hosts. We had prepaid our tips, and the amount for concierge was left up to us to fill in. I got additional envelopes, and we gave all three members $50.00 in cash, and our bartender $40.00. Well worth it in my opinion. I also HATE this process. Too much? Too little?

I don't know what the concierge staff makes but I do know that the servers only make $26 every two weeks plus their tips so I would never take those tips that are automatically put on our bill off even if I didn't do the dining room service every night.
QUOTE]

Not sure anyone reads this old thread anymore, but have been looking for tipping info on concierge so read it through. The above quote mentions that servers were only getting paid $26 plus their tips. Have to say I don't believe this or was exactly accurate. As anyone that has worked in a tipped position at a restaurant or such in the US would know, tipped wait staff do get paid a lower hourly rate than salaried staff. When I worked in restaurants of was approximately half the minimum wage. From this hourly wage all of the taxes are taken, both those for hourly pay and tipped (estimated) pay. So after working 30-40 hours in a week I might have taken home only $30 in my paycheck...but it is important to understand this amount reflects net pay after taxes. I suspect this is also the case for tipped staff on the cruises...

As anyone that has worked in a tipped position at a restaurant or such in the US would know, tipped wait staff do get paid a lower hourly rate than salaried staff.

You mention half minimum wage. That is a generous estimate. The last time I checked, minimum server wage was $2.00 an hour. Yes, it covers taxes, but is definitely not half the minimum wage.

I would not be surprised if cruise ship workers made even less than that with the justification that they were being supplied with room and board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!