Tipping question.

MissBritt

It's a small, small world.
Hello! We have a new dog who hates her paws being touched but has atrocious nails. I had the vet tech clip them last month at her appointment but they only made them worse. I am planning to take her to a professional groomer to have them filed with the Drimmel. How much do I tip on a $15 service?

I'm worried about how a groomer can do it when the vet couldn't. Did they try to sedate your dog? I say tip 15$.. yea it sounds crazy but if your dog takes multiple people to hold them down I feel the 15$ charge on there half is to low.

I'm worried about how a groomer can do it when the vet couldn't. Did they try to sedate your dog? I say tip 15$.. yea it sounds crazy but if your dog takes multiple people to hold them down I feel the 15$ charge on there half is to low.

Well, she's new to us and was getting services by a new vet 5 days into her transition. Plus the tech had just drawn blood on her. We didn't realize how bad they were for a week until she got more comfortable with us and more playful. We got scratched pretty badly and realized she cut most of them crappily and at odd angles, likely as she attempted to pull away from the clippers.

Hello! We have a new dog who hates her paws being touched but has atrocious nails. I had the vet tech clip them last month at her appointment but they only made them worse. I am planning to take her to a professional groomer to have them filed with the Drimmel. How much do I tip on a $15 service?
My fur baby, a pug, is horrible at getting his nails trimmed. My groomer charges $15 also and I pay her $20. So a $5 tip.

I think a $5 tip would be good. Unless you have a relationship with a groomer already, I would call different locations to see if they had any groomers who specialized in difficult dogs. The first place we took our previous dog to attempted to cut her nails, but said they couldn't. They referred us to another location with a groomer who was known to do well with the tricky dogs. We followed him to three different locations and normally made a 40 min drive to get our dog groomed.

Our vet office uses weird inverse v-shaped nail clippers, that seem to make the nails sharper. Walking the dog on sidewalks/pavement seems to dull dogs nails so the chance of accidental scratches is reduced.

We lost our beloved dog just before Christmas, but the one thing I didn't love about him was trimming his nails. He was a little guy, but he fought like no 30-lb dog I've ever known. In fact, we're looking for a new dog friend now, and we're definitely going with a puppy (willing to put up with the puppy nonsense) because we want to work with him on the idea of "touching your feet/nails isn't bad" from Day 1. I'm also going to pick a song to sing to him (or her -- new puppy might turn out to be female) while we groom ... you know, as a cue "it's time to calm down and do this".

Anyway, I found one woman -- a groomer in a van who -- who could do his nails, and she only charged $5. Yes, $5. I loved that groomer. I always gave her $10 because my dog was genuinely a bad boy on this topic.

I'm not trying to be nasty, just genuinely asking if you tip on other services like haircuts, dinner at a restaurant etc?

Actually, those are the only 2 things I will tip on (in everyday life - the same doesn't apply to vacation where I utilize services I normally wouldn't utilize in everyday life). I tip my hair dresser a flat $20 every time. At restaurants, I tip based on service (a flat rate). I never, ever, and will never tip a percentage of my bill. If I have an outstanding waitress who brings my my $10 food she deserves more than a $2 tip and certainly more than the horrible waitress who brought my parties $60 food out and would be expecting a $12 tip. Tipping a percentage "just because" is utterly stupid and cheats the good staff out of deserved tips when its a party of 1 or if its a few people having desserts and the tab isn't very expensive.

Because I don't utilize uber's, bell hops, valets, etc in everyday life I never know who to tip and who not to. So, instead of risking freely handing over my money to people where tipping isn't normal, I just don't tip them at all. I work too hard for my money to just give it away when it's not necessary. But I still stand by my statement that I wish tipping would go away altogether, even for hair dressers and restaurants. Just charge me an extra $1-$2 per entree and be done with it already. The whole concept is just flawed.

Actually, those are the only 2 things I will tip on (in everyday life - the same doesn't apply to vacation where I utilize services I normally wouldn't utilize in everyday life). I tip my hair dresser a flat $20 every time. At restaurants, I tip based on service (a flat rate). I never, ever, and will never tip a percentage of my bill. If I have an outstanding waitress who brings my my $10 food she deserves more than a $2 tip and certainly more than the horrible waitress who brought my parties $60 food out and would be expecting a $12 tip. Tipping a percentage "just because" is utterly stupid and cheats the good staff out of deserved tips when its a party of 1 or if its a few people having desserts and the tab isn't very expensive.

Because I don't utilize uber's, bell hops, valets, etc in everyday life I never know who to tip and who not to. So, instead of risking freely handing over my money to people where tipping isn't normal, I just don't tip them at all. I work too hard for my money to just give it away when it's not necessary. But I still stand by my statement that I wish tipping would go away altogether, even for hair dressers and restaurants. Just charge me an extra $1-$2 per entree and be done with it already. The whole concept is just flawed.
Interesting perspective. Thanks for responding

Our friends use a mobile groomer. It is a bit more dollar wise, yet so much more convenient. The groomer comes monthly, I think it like 45 for a bath, trim( hair cut), nails, and she give their dog his oral flea med's. They give her 60.00 bucks total.

My friend says that their dog hates to ride in the car, and gets stressed out. Yet the dog loves to ride in the RV... So this is great they just take him outside to the van, and stay with him while he gets his day of beauty... LOL

I tip the groomer $5. The owner of the grooming place donates all nail clipping fees ($12) to a dog rescue. So, the actual groomer gets nothing for a nail clip, other than the tip. And, I like to help support a dog rescue.

At restaurants, I tip based on service (a flat rate). I never, ever, and will never tip a percentage of my bill. If I have an outstanding waitress who brings my my $10 food she deserves more than a $2 tip and certainly more than the horrible waitress who brought my parties $60 food out and would be expecting a $12 tip. Tipping a percentage "just because" is utterly stupid and cheats the good staff out of deserved tips when its a party of 1 or if its a few people having desserts and the tab isn't very expensive.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who feels percentage is a DUMB was to figure tips. The cost of the food has very little to do with how much work the server has to do. How much I pay for my meal should not dictate how much I tip. The quality of service is the only thing that matters.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who feels percentage is a DUMB was to figure tips. The cost of the food has very little to do with how much work the server has to do. How much I pay for my meal should not dictate how much I tip. The quality of service is the only thing that matters.
Not in all instance, this is flawed, a place like California grill has more people serving you then other places. Some will have 1 person doing the water, the clean up and busing the table, others 1 person for each task. IMHO they all deserve some tip as they all work to make your dining experience what it was. Typically your not going to go to a fine dining place and have only 1 person doing everything. There is a slow growing movement at higher end restaurants to just charge a flat no tipping charge to ensure everyone working gets what they deserve.

Not in all instance, this is flawed, a place like California grill has more people serving you then other places. Some will have 1 person doing the water, the clean up and busing the table, others 1 person for each task. IMHO they all deserve some tip as they all work to make your dining experience what it was. Typically your not going to go to a fine dining place and have only 1 person doing everything. There is a slow growing movement at higher end restaurants to just charge a flat no tipping charge to ensure everyone working gets what they deserve.

I would love to not tip in restaurants and just pay a higher price to begin with, but I wonder if it will take off in the US. Remember when Uber first started and part of the draw of it was that you didn't tip - the price was just the price, but people couldn't handle that and insisted on tipping anyway and now it is totally expected to tip your Uber driver.

I would love to not tip in restaurants and just pay a higher price to begin with, but I wonder if it will take off in the US. Remember when Uber first started and part of the draw of it was that you didn't tip - the price was just the price, but people couldn't handle that and insisted on tipping anyway and now it is totally expected to tip your Uber driver.
Tipping is in the American culture, when traveling to most other places in the world it's not the norm. Some of it good and bad. I remember going out for drinks in Paris with some co-workers, when I asked how come its so hard to get a drink from the bartenders, it was explained that since there is no tipping expected, bartenders really don't have to hustle to make there money. Service to the customer in this case was lacking. I also learned and observed, so many foreigners would ask "Is tip included", and the answer would be no. If you looked at the bill closing a "Service charge" is already included. So many Americans would add additional tips to the bill. My coworkers quickly pointed out to me that it was not needed.
In Japan, people are paid to do a job and tipping is also not expected, but because of the culture service is typically excellent.

Interesting article:
Why the No-Tipping Restaurant Model Failed - Eater
Resturant owners have to be able to pay at least minimum wage and not force the wait staff to work for tips, and consumers have to be willing to pay more as soon as they sit down at the table. Its not going to end anytime soon...

But now how is ANY of that based on the price of my meal? Same restaurant. Same service. I get the $15 burger. You get the $25 seafood pasta. We both get the same service. How is your service worth $5 but mine only $3.

Tipping to me is a type of progressive tax. In some states the price of your annual license plate is based on the value of your vehicle. More expensive cars pay a higher 'road use tax' when renewing their license plates. Clearly the cost to maintain the roads isn't related to the price of your car, but it is way to spread around the costs. I view restaurant tipping in a similar way. If you order a more expensive items the % you tip will be a larger dollar amount. This is one way for restaurants to spread around the total amount collected in tips and those with larger bills pay a larger amount. At the same time, you can still tip how much/how little you want.

I have no experience in what other countries do. So I have no idea what they pay their employees or how a country that doesn't expect you tip makes up the money some other way. In US restaurants, typically they pay the wait staff less then minimum wage since they expect the balance to be made up in tips. The money to pay your employees in countries that don't expect you tip has to come from somewhere, which would seem to imply higher menu prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter