TImeshare Rental help and advice

1234lucky

Mouseketeer
I'm looking to rent a timeshare for an April stay and I'm trying to get the lay of the land. I'm looking at WBC, Sheraton Vistana and the Marriott timeshares, leaning towards WBC. Proximity isn't super important, I'd favor over nice resort over being super close. We're a party of 6 (4 kids) so at least 1 bedroom, but two is better. Not too picky but a great pool, fun family activities would be highest on the list.

Any opinions on best places to stay? Preferred rental companies? Red week is the only option I've looked into so far.

Also when I price out the options, are any resort fees included? Or is that to be paid during the stay?

Check skyauction for your dates, redweek is good, so is tug (timeshare user group) for direct from owner. Rentals are also available on eBay, but check seller feedback carefully. Check on the WBC thread here for a couple of people who run sidelines renting out their Wyndham points. For those with name brands they are available through the corporate website as well. Also check mousesavers.com for deals on some of the best resorts in the area.

WBC is a great choice for close to Disney. I prefer the next tier up (Sheraton/Vistana, Marriott, Hilton Grand Vacation) for higher luxury. All are available from the outlets as mentioned above. Each resort is different for fees. The Vistana resorts have no added fees except for some kids activities, mini-golf, and upgraded internet (but the free internet works fine for us); if you use any of these they are added during the stay, paid at end (along with any room charges).

With 4 kids definitely consider a 2BR. There is actually very little cost difference between a 1BR and a 2BR, but a world of difference in space and sanity. Considering what you are paying for the whole experience, $20-25 a night for the bigger villa is money well spent!

We've stayed at Bonnet Creek six times and will be again this December for two weeks. It very convenient when visiting WDW and we love the feel of the resort. Hilton Grand is beautiful but our family loves Bonnet Creek so we keep returning. We've rented from a lady on ebay several times and once with VRBO. When we travel with extended family we reserve the 3 bedroom but usually get a 2 bedroom which has a ton of room. Bonnet Creek is such a bargain and our "home away from home".

Check skyauction for your dates, redweek is good, so is tug (timeshare user group) for direct from owner. Rentals are also available on eBay, but check seller feedback carefully. Check on the WBC thread here for a couple of people who run sidelines renting out their Wyndham points. For those with name brands they are available through the corporate website as well. Also check mousesavers.com for deals on some of the best resorts in the area.

WBC is a great choice for close to Disney. I prefer the next tier up (Sheraton/Vistana, Marriott, Hilton Grand Vacation) for higher luxury. All are available from the outlets as mentioned above. Each resort is different for fees. The Vistana resorts have no added fees except for some kids activities, mini-golf, and upgraded internet (but the free internet works fine for us); if you use any of these they are added during the stay, paid at end (along with any room charges).

With 4 kids definitely consider a 2BR. There is actually very little cost difference between a 1BR and a 2BR, but a world of difference in space and sanity. Considering what you are paying for the whole experience, $20-25 a night for the bigger villa is money well spent!

Thanks for the great advice. I looked more carefully at the next tier up options per your suggestion and I'm leaning heavily towards the Marriott Sabal Palms now. I think the kids would love the World Center amenities. Have you stayed there by any chance?

If proximity to WDW isn't as important, check out Marriott Cypress Harbour. All of the units are 2br and they are really nice sized units (they even have a nice screened in porch). We didn't use the pools, but they looked fun. They have a recreation area that has both indoor and outdoor activities. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Also, if Sea World is on your agenda, it's just about right next door.

We will be looking into Marriott Sabal Palms for our next trip, due to the proximity to WDW.

Happy planning!

Thanks for the great advice. I looked more carefully at the next tier up options per your suggestion and I'm leaning heavily towards the Marriott Sabal Palms now. I think the kids would love the World Center amenities. Have you stayed there by any chance?
Good choice. Have not stayed there personally but we own a week right next door to Sabal Palms at the Vistana, and I stay pretty active in timeshare forums, so know it is a great resort. Excellent access to the parks and lots of amenities (shopping/restaurants) nearby.

We just stayed in Sabal Palms last week 11-16th. Very easy to get to the parks each day. Location seemed kind of an afterthought on the back roads behind the world center, but that made for an extremely quiet and less travelled resort. We used the Sabal pool on our first night and there was only one other family there. We walked over to World Center (A very reasonable walk - much shorter than some Disney resorts), and the pool there is beautiful. The rooms were two bedroom, two bathroom. full/twin in the second bedroom, as well as a sofabed in the living room. Plenty of room to spread out and relax after doing very long park days like we did.

I’ve stayed at the Vistana properties and HGVC Seaworld. I liked WBC so much better...it felt more like a hotel than a converted apartment complex. I guess everyone just has different preferences

If proximity to WDW isn't as important, check out Marriott Cypress Harbour. All of the units are 2br and they are really nice sized units (they even have a nice screened in porch). We didn't use the pools, but they looked fun. They have a recreation area that has both indoor and outdoor activities. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Also, if Sea World is on your agenda, it's just about right next door.

We will be looking into Marriott Sabal Palms for our next trip, due to the proximity to WDW.

Happy planning!
Have stayed at both of these- Sabal Palms in 2015- actually have photos and review in the review thread too. Loved the proximity of sabal palms to WDW and the amenities of World center pool. We spent an entire resort day just at world VP center pool-kids LOVED the water slides. The villa is an older style with steps down into living room, and the shower is huge- with huge block wall that lets in tons of light in am-so if you like to sleep in in the morning you won't be able to! But the second bedroom has a double and a twin bed -bonus points for two real beds. This villa is also one of the largest. I also felt the sofa bed in living room was easier to pull out at night due to size of unit.

Cypress Harbour was over Thanksgiving week and this is my new favorite Marriott! Tons of kid activities, villas are beautiful (although second bedroom had queen bed with double pull out couch-room was tight with bed pulled out.) However the bathroom with that bed room had an "extra" door that closed off a short entryway so the bathroom for that bedroom was a bit more private. Also served as buffer for noise as kitchen was right outside the entryway. The pools were awesome here too-quiet pool had no one in it most nights and main pool had lots of activities going on, but easy to find loungers etc. the trip to WDW is a bit longer but pretty easy drive. I think my son did the little put put golf course about 8 times. The unit was smaller than some other Marriotts we've stayed in but the resort itself made up for it.

I'm going to have to make a decision soon on our resort for second week of June trip as well--and I'm torn between Royal Palms (the bathroom at sabal was a huge turnoff for DH who like pitch black to sleep), Cypress Harbour or Sheraton Vistana resort...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter