It is suggested earlier that "I suggest that if you want to use the value of a new, unused WDW ticket to help pay for an AP renewal that you go to a full service Guest Relations (the Welcome Center at Disney Springs would be a good choice.)" What do you do if you aren't going to be at WDW during your renewal window?? Can you do this over the phone?

We have a trip planned for August. My husband and I both have 4 days left on old, no-expiration park hoppers. My kids only have 3 days left on theirs (they spent a day in the park last trip with friends while we took a day to relax). We're going with friends who will also have 4 day tickets... so, we are planning on 4 days in the park (hopefully hopping). So, my question is this.

I can use the kids 3 days left (and, while I call them kids, then are 10+, so adults at Disney), and then add 1 day with a 1 day hopper - for the crazy price of $180 or something each

<or>

I can save the kids 3 day tickets for another ticket and buy them both new 4 day tickets, for about $500 each... (or, about $125 per day cost).

We are DVC members, so we'd be back again to use up the tickets... but I guess I'm stuck on spending $360 vs $1,000 (and, since I have not bought Disney tickets for 10 years, I think I'm in sticker shock (we stocked up on the 10 day no-expiration tickets back in 2012 - before they stopped selling them, but apparently we did should have bought one more set for each family member).

Anyway, open to thoughts since I need to figure this out to make park reservations for our trip.

We have a trip planned for August. My husband and I both have 4 days left on old, no-expiration park hoppers. My kids only have 3 days left on theirs (they spent a day in the park last trip with friends while we took a day to relax). We're going with friends who will also have 4 day tickets... so, we are planning on 4 days in the park (hopefully hopping). So, my question is this.

I can use the kids 3 days left (and, while I call them kids, then are 10+, so adults at Disney), and then add 1 day with a 1 day hopper - for the crazy price of $180 or something each

<or>

I can save the kids 3 day tickets for another ticket and buy them both new 4 day tickets, for about $500 each... (or, about $125 per day cost).

We are DVC members, so we'd be back again to use up the tickets... but I guess I'm stuck on spending $360 vs $1,000 (and, since I have not bought Disney tickets for 10 years, I think I'm in sticker shock (we stocked up on the 10 day no-expiration tickets back in 2012 - before they stopped selling them, but apparently we did should have bought one more set for each family member).

Anyway, open to thoughts since I need to figure this out to make park reservations for our trip.
Option 2.
The value of the older tickets will only grow, over time.

Why do you need to add the hopper? Are you going to hop every day? If not, just buy a non hopper and use that ticket for a day you won't be hopping.

I would save the old tickets for the future and buy brand new tickets for the whole vacation. The rough rule of thumb is to not use old tickets for a vacation exceeding 3 days unless you have enough old tickets that you don't need to buy new tickets.

We are DVC members, so we'd be back again to use up the tickets..
A very important piece of information to help make a decision with,

How much value will you derive (squeeze out, if you prefer) from a ticket during a given vacation?

If a new 4 day ticket costs $500. and a new one day ticket costs $180. then using up the leftover 3 day and buying a new one day to finish the vacation you derive the difference, $320., from the old ticket.

Whereas if you save the old ticket for a future vacation of exactly 3 days at a time new 3 day tickets cost $450. then you will have derived $450. from the old ticket at the end of that future vacation.

Now there could be extenuating circumstances limiting your options, like not enough saved up to buy new tickets now.

You can put/keep the old tickets in My Disney Experience to make fastpass reservations with when the time comes. But with more than one ticket in the MDE account you will need to be vigilant and proactively prioritize (at a Guest Relations or resort concierge desk) which ticket is to be used on any given day.

Last edited:
Thanks! We need to hopper because we're planning VIP tours for two of the days at least, and then the other two days we'll split between parks to go on our own for the things we didn't do with the guides/make sure we get all the shows we want, meals, etc.

So - I think the best plan is buy the kids new tickets, save these, and then on our next trip, we'll already have the kids tickets set. Next time, it will be a shorter trip anyway... we normally go just for 5 days - split 3 days at Disney, 2 and Universal... This time we promised the kids a longer trip since they missed everything due to COVID... So, I agree, it makes sense to save my non-expiration for times when I'm just using 1, 2 or 3 days vs. using them up on a longer trip (now, I'm thinking of even saving my husband's and mine to use up over time on shorter trips, based on cost per day, etc).

Thanks!!!

Our annual passes expired in April 2020. We received a credit for our un-used portion of the pass as we didn't want to extend at the time. Well...now we are planning a trip for March 2021. I talked to the AP cast members on the phone, who told me that although they are NOT selling new annual passes at the time, they are selling new AP to those who had previously canceled or had their APs expire after March 16, 2020. The new passes are not available online and the sales are being done on a “case by case” basis. They filled out a form for me and said that someone would be calling back to discuss our options. After a couple of days, worried that the first cast member was misinformed, I talked to another cast member that said to hold tight. It's now been 7 days and we haven't had a call.

Long story short - has anyone had success with this? Worried that park reservations will fill for the week that we are going (Spring Break)! Thanks in advance.

So we bit the bullet and booked a trip for June. Not sure we will go, but couldn't pass up the discounts. And let me be honest the Disney marketing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" commercials really did me in. We are considering surprising our kids for their birthdays.

So it was a relief that I had until 6/3 to cancel resort at no penalty. But as far as I can tell you need park tickets to make park reservations. But park tickets are non refundable correct? I'm concerned if we don't decide by May if we want to definitely go, is there a chance we won't get into the park?

This would be a short trip T- Sunday, with probably 2 days at MK and maybe a day at Epcot if new attractions are open, if not maybe a day at HS. Our park days would likely be W, Th & Saturday. Can someone confirm that I can't make park reservations until I have tickets, and that tickets are still non refundable? Also thoughts on whether you think I risk there being no park reservations left by May for a June trip!

Our annual passes expired in April 2020. We received a credit for our un-used portion of the pass as we didn't want to extend at the time. Well...now we are planning a trip for March 2021. I talked to the AP cast members on the phone, who told me that although they are NOT selling new annual passes at the time, they are selling new AP to those who had previously canceled or had their APs expire after March 16, 2020. The new passes are not available online and the sales are being done on a “case by case” basis. They filled out a form for me and said that someone would be calling back to discuss our options. After a couple of days, worried that the first cast member was misinformed, I talked to another cast member that said to hold tight. It's now been 7 days and we haven't had a call.

Long story short - has anyone had success with this? Worried that park reservations will fill for the week that we are going (Spring Break)! Thanks in advance.
There are multiple reports of success on this thread, most saying that it was longer than 7 days before they received the call back. So hang in there!

I have gotten completely different answers on this question. I have extended APs that are expiring. They are DVC gold passes. I know when I renew, the date starts the day of expiration no matter when we activate the renewals. My question is, if we end up not going, and do not activate the renewals. Would we get the value of the renewal towards the (higher) cost of a new ticket in the future (and pay the difference)? I know that I would not be able to use it as a renewal down the road, but I am just wondering if the value will still be useable in the event we don't go and don't activate them?

My question is, if we end up not going, and do not activate the renewals. Would we get the value of the renewal towards the (higher) cost of a new ticket in the future (and pay the difference)?
I would not expect any “value” to carry forward. An AP renewal simply extends the expiration date by 1 year. At the new expiration the “value” would be zero as there is no minimum-use required. If you aren’t sure you’ll return within the year, i wouldn’t renew and take my chances on what is available as tickets when you are ready to return. If you might go, only you can decide if the expense now is worth it.

if we end up not going, and do not activate the renewals. Would we get the value of the renewal towards the (higher) cost of a new ticket in the future (and pay the difference)?
Nope.
A renewal extends the life of a current activated AP by one year.

A Guest does not "activate" a renewal AP at WDW.
It is automatically active on the end date of the previous AP.

Last edited:
A Guest does not "activate" a renewal AP at WDW.
It is automatically active on the end date of the previous AP.
This is correct. However before first use of a renewal DVC AP you have to go to GR and show your ID and blue DVC member card to prove that you were still eligible for the DVC pricing on your AP renewal. This is sometimes referred to as activating a DVC renewal AP.

I purchased a FL resident rate last year and my anniversary date is coming up, so I would like to renew. However, due to COVID, I had to move and am no longer a resident. If I renew, do I have to prove residency again? What should I do?

I have a COVID extended ticket I am planning to use this year, before it runs out on September 26, 2021. Has anyone had any success with adding Park Hopper or Park Hopper Plus/Water Parks and More to an extended ticket without changing the date. I’m mainly thinking this might be a nice way to get a little extra value given I will be making four short trips this year since my ticket allows it.

I have a COVID extended ticket I am planning to use this year, before it runs out on September 26, 2021. Has anyone had any success with adding Park Hopper or Park Hopper Plus/Water Parks and More to an extended ticket without changing the date. I’m mainly thinking this might be a nice way to get a little extra value given I will be making four short trips this year since my ticket allows it.
My understanding is that once you modify a COVID-extended ticket in any manner, it will revert to a stsndard date-based ticket. If you want to use the park entries over 4 trips, you’ll have to forgo the hopping and waterparks. If you can adjust your plans to one long trip, the add-ons will work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter