Three days 'till WDW- any first timer tips??

starlightbh8

Earning My Ears
Only three days 'till i leave for WDW!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I'm so excited!! Do you have any tips for visiting for the first time?? I'll be staying for eight days at Caribbean beach resort and will have 6 day park hopping tickets for my family of four (two adults, two teens). I also have the dinning plan, making sure I am planned and ready for the crowds :rotfl: .

So any tips or strategies for me?

Thanks in advance!:woohoo:

HAVE FUN!!!!:goodvibes ANd should someone become ill and not go...I would be more than happy to take their place;)

Seriously,See all you can, do all you can, but make sure you include some down time to just sit and take it all in. People watch on Main Street, have a Dole Whip, (yum) take a moment to watch little kids getting an autograph from Mickey. Sometimes the little moments are the ones you remember most.

One of my best memories was in EPCOT in August 2002. It started raining as we were exploring World Showcase and we were sure that the night was ruined. As we head out of the park DD (then 3) spied the jumping water streams which she had been FORBIDDEN to mess with earlier for fear she would get wet, and have to have her clothes changed. DH automatically said no. I said WHy not, we're already wet. So we all played in the fountains in the poring rain, and a few poeple looked at us like we were crazy. But do you know just as many people joined us. No where else in the world would you see an entire group of people playing in the fountains in the pouring rain. It's a memory I wil never forget!!!

1) R-E-L-A-X!

The biggest mistake that first-timers make is to try to see and do everything in one trip. They become so obsessed with crossing things off a list that they forget to enjoy the things they are crossing off! Slow down and enjoy the scenery, and don't worry if you don't have time to do all those attractions - that's what return trips are for!

2) Roll with the punches

Something WILL GO WRONG. Something always goes wrong with any vacation; when it happens, even if it's something as major as missing your plane, don't let it panic you! Be flexible; changing your itinerary can usually help you to work around problems. Restaurant lose your ADR? No problem, try to make another for the same place at a different time, or for a different place at the same time. Worst-case - enjoy some of the great counter service that's everywhere in WDW!

3) Don't force it!

You want to go left, your family wants to go right. You know from the DIS that going right is the wrong decision - but they won't give in. Don't force them; let them go right while you go left. It's a vacation, not a military operation - you can split up. And forcing someone else to do something they don't want to do will just make them miserable, which will make you miserable, too. Nobody is supposed to be miserable on vacation, particularly in WDW.

Make sure you use fast pass. It will help you enjoy as many rides as possible and keeps you from spending hours in line.

Have a plan but go with the flow. We had a basic list of what we wanted to do but if something else popped up we just did it.

Most of all enjoy! We were just there and are already planning another trip!

Thanks everyone for the tips so far!! Keep 'em coming, i'll need all the help i can get :) Does anyone know if you can get to Downtown Disney from Caribbean beach resort or do you have to take a shuttle to one of the parks, then from there get on the bus to DTD? I'm planning to do this on the day we arrive since it will be around six or seven, when we get to the resort from the airport on magical express.

Hi Star - I leave in 30 days and can't wait! You and your family will have a wonderful time, just live in the moment and realize YOU ARE AT WDW!!!
You can take a bus from CB to DTD, the bus will say DTD on it and you're good to go! All the resorts have buses to DTD (no park buses at DTD though).
Enjoy yourself!

Thanks everyone for the tips so far!! Keep 'em coming, i'll need all the help i can get :) Does anyone know if you can get to Downtown Disney from Caribbean beach resort or do you have to take a shuttle to one of the parks, then from there get on the bus to DTD? I'm planning to do this on the day we arrive since it will be around six or seven, when we get to the resort from the airport on magical express.

There are busses from ALL Disney resorts to DTD, and busses back to all the resorts from DTD. It's only the parks that don't have busses to DTD.

Wear good comfortable (tried and true) shoes or sandals for lots of walking. Your feet will probably swell - drink lots of water! We always take a good fanny pack and / or backpack with hats or visors, Xtra sunscreen (I take a partial bottle so it's less weight), our camera, some of those mini fans and rain ponchos if storms are forecast (no purse for me).

Take advantage of the early openings / late closings that are available to resort guests! You can accomplish a lot of rides quickly + snag a couple of fast passes if you're there when they open. Just for Example at Epcot - head for something busy like Test Track - while one or two of you wait in line the others grab fast passes for everyone to come back later. Once you ride it once, go to Mission Space - wait thru the line & ride that and then by the time you're done you can go back to Test Track with your fast passes (or vice versa). The fast passes work well - but you sorta gotta get the hang of working the system since you can only have one at once. We'd rather use them on something like Peter Pan that has a 90 min. wait and wait in line 90 minutes for Splash Mountain just 'cuz of the type of ride that it is.

Also, we prefer to eat a very light breakfast (like pastries) and then stop early for lunch (like by 11:30). We don't normally eat lunch until probably 1 or 1:30 on the weekends, but if you wait for 12 or 1:00 the lines will be awful and seating limited. If you stop early, you can have a more leisurely lunch at a good table (clean) & you won't have to hover over someone else with your tray while you're waiting for them to finish so you can snag it.

We also don't care a lot about sitting out in the hot sun waiting for the afternoon parades - we've noticed that a lot of the lines are less during the parades 'cuz a lot of people DO watch them - so it's a good time to catch stuff like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad etc. But that's our preference - we'd rather watch the evening parades when there's no sun.

Lastly, it's hard not to "go commando" when it's your first trip - but do try to take a break in the afternoons to go back to your hotel & catch some pool time! You'll need to get off your feet & relax some too! The refillable mugs they sell at the resorts are a good deal - last time we went they were like $10 but free refills on anything you wanted at the drink stations - so we'd get our coffee in the mornings...take them to the pools in the afternoons etc. If you decide to get those, get them on day #1 so you have them for the entire week.

(Insert deep breath here....OK!) Go and have fun!! :thumbsup2

Two days left!! :) I'm here in california, so all i've ever known are disneyland and disney california adventures. Four parks and all disneyworld has to offer is so exciting!! Thanks again for all your help!

All i can say is enjoy every minute you are there b/c it goes fast. Disneyworld is the best place to go young and old. I will be there in 2 days for my 12th time and every time i get sooooo excited to go. Have a great time and see you there lol....:banana: :banana: :banana:

We're leaving on Saturday and we're also staying at CBR!!

No tips, just wanted to give a shout out to ya since we'll be there at the same time/same place!!

Have a great va-ca!!

:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter