Thread for Disney Cruise Passengers from overseas (not US or Canada)

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
I have a friend from Switzerland joining me (hopefully) in January 2022 on the Fantasy. At the moment it looks like her vaccinations from Switzerland don't mean anything. I am also concerned about the time frame for getting the Covid tests done. As it stands she would leave Switzerland on a Thursday (and arrive the same day) for a Saturday departure. So she'd have to get a test on a Tuesday and get results Wednesday and fly Thursday? But, will Disney even accept test results in another language from outside the US?

PIF isn't until October 1st so things should perhaps be clearer by then? But I wanted to start a thread for others in the same boat. Um, I mean, same ship. Or maybe NOT on the ship? Hard to know. Please feel free to update if you have any info or are in a similar circumstance. We booked this in Feb of 2021, never dreaming it wouldn't happen.

Folks from Canada seem to have their own thread and issue with the two different vaccination shots? I don't mean to exclude them but they seem to have a separate hurdle?

Thanks!

I don't mean to exclude them but they seem to have a separate hurdle?
At the moment, nothing different for Canadians vs Switzerland or other countries. DCL does not plan to “recognize” vaccination status from outside the US, so the mixed dose question for Canadians isn’t really impacting DCL cruises.

I believe your friend will need to test in Switzerland before flying to the US. With the timing you describe, that test should work for DCL’s pre-arrival test as well. She will then need to test at embarkation.

Since your cruise isn’t until January — things may change between now and then.

Honestly, I would just hang tight. Things are changing all the time. International vaccination proof most likely will be accepted, but right now international travel is not a priority, so they don't have full info available yet. US tourists coming to Europe are in the same position, as we now have the EU Digital Cert with a QR code and US tourists are trying to figure out what to do and how to get their vaccination proof recognized in various Eu countries.

There will be all sorts of diplomatic negotiations going on behind the scenes so that countries will eventually recognize international vaccination proof, its just a wait and see at the moment.

I am out of the travel loop - is the US Vaccination card accepted in Europe or anywhere, does anyone know? I think it works for overseas flights? I had friends who went to Nicaragua on a mission trip last month and got stuck there when one tested positive for the return to the US. They would not retest, and were coming to their hotel to do some 'treatments'. My friends literally drove to the Costa Rican border and walked across. Tested negative in CR and they flew home 2 days later.

I am out of the travel loop - is the US Vaccination card accepted in Europe or anywhere, does anyone know? I think it works for overseas flights?

At the moment, there is no official information about the US vaccination cards being accepted in the various European countries. The cards will probably be accepted at passport check to enter a country, but vaccine status is now also being required in various EU countries for more than just entry into the country.

The most recent info I have is for France, as Disneyland Paris is requiring the EU QR code for entry. Some US tourists in France have been able to get their US vaccination cards validated by French pharmacies and converted into the French Pass Sanitaire, but its not been officially announced by the French Government.

In my country, Ireland, from tomorrow, it is the law that the EU Cert with the QR is required for all indoor dining. I have not been able to find any information for US tourists currently in Ireland and what they need to do. Very likely any US tourists currently in Ireland will have a hard time going to restaurants and bars, as the staff will be too stressed just dealing with the QR code requirements to even try to accept US tourist who dont have a QR code.

It will be up to each individual country as to how they will validate the US vaccine cards, but right now , thats not a priority and there is no information.

I have a friend from Switzerland joining me (hopefully) in January 2022 on the Fantasy. At the moment it looks like her vaccinations from Switzerland don't mean anything. I am also concerned about the time frame for getting the Covid tests done. As it stands she would leave Switzerland on a Thursday (and arrive the same day) for a Saturday departure. So she'd have to get a test on a Tuesday and get results Wednesday and fly Thursday? But, will Disney even accept test results in another language from outside the US?

PIF isn't until October 1st so things should perhaps be clearer by then? But I wanted to start a thread for others in the same boat. Um, I mean, same ship. Or maybe NOT on the ship? Hard to know. Please feel free to update if you have any info or are in a similar circumstance. We booked this in Feb of 2021, never dreaming it wouldn't happen.

Folks from Canada seem to have their own thread and issue with the two different vaccination shots? I don't mean to exclude them but they seem to have a separate hurdle?

Thanks!

The test results for travel are/can be translated to English. Testing can be done at the airport and you can have results anywhere from an hour to 8 hours, depending on the price (and those are in English). I know Zurich airport has testing facilities (we just flew through there). For flying it's 3 days prior (not 72 hours) so she has to have test on Monday for a Thursday flight but she has to line up with Disney cruise requirements. Are they 3 days prior to cruise (I thought I read 5)? If it's 5 she's good for test on Monday. Currently, it does not matter what vaccine you have or even if you are vaccinated at all, everyone MUST provide a negative test result if flying INTO the U.S.

I'm wondering if all the cruise lines have the same policies about not accepting EU vaccinations?
Disney uses an outside firm to validate the vaccines and test, so the issue should be the same for any cruiseline that uses them.
With Disney the only downside with not having my vaccination accepted would be that I have to pay for tests, but with other cruise lines I would be denied cruising altogether or at least I would not have access to vaccinated only, mask-free areas of the ship.
I'm also wondering if Disney will allow EU people to explore ports by ourselves or if we need to book DCL port adventures.

Then again, the US border is not officially open for non-essential travel by EU residents so Disney may not see a need to hurry to find a way to verify our vaccination certificates.

Thanks!

FYI, Canadians are in the same boat as DCL doesn't recognize the vaccination status of anyone arriving into the US for the cruise -- whether vaccinated or not, one has to get tested (two tests, a PCR within 5 days before the cruise, and a second test at the port the day of the cruise). The mixed vaccine issue for Canadians is a possible future problem.

A traveller coming from outside the US to sailing on a DCL cruise actually has THREE covid tests they need to meet, however they may be able to combine the first two into one test IF the timing works out.

Specifically:

(1) Test before entering the US by Air

The US Government currently requires that all air passengers arriving in the United States present a negative covid test result. For the specifics of what test, the timeframe it has to have been taken in, etc, see: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

On that page they do have the following FAQ:
Does a negative test result or documentation of recovery need to be in English?
Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to confirm the test result and review other required information, and should determine when translation is necessary for these purposes. Passengers whose documents are in a language other than English should check with their airline or aircraft operator before travel.

As for testing in Switzerland. I don't know if this would work or not, but the Zurich airport has information about covid testing options on this webpage: https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/en/passengers/news/corona/general-information According to that page, within the Zurich airport, currently, PCR testing can be done with with results in as short as one hour (for a higher fee, of course).

One would likely want to contact any prospective testing facility well in advance to ensure that the test will meet the requiring entity's requirements (including, language of the document).

(2) Test within 5 days Before DCL Cruise

According to the info DCL released about the Disney Dream returning to sailing requirements, DCL requires passengers arriving from outside the US, whether vaccinated or not, to present the results of a negative PCR test done within the 5 days before sailing date.

Depending on how that timeframe lines up with one's entry into the US, it may be possible to use the same PCR test that was used for entering the US. However, if one is going to spend a number of days in the US before the cruise, then the dates won't align and presumably one will have to get another PCR test done, this time while inside the US.

(3) Test at the port on embarkation day

The second test DCL requires is a test at the port on embarkation day. They have a contracted service which does this test and the test cost (for those aged 12 and up) is billed to one's stateroom account.

I am hoping DCL comes out with a FAQ that provides some more clarity around the vaccination / testing issue. And addresses things like the language the test result certificate needs to be in [and what if it isn't in English].

Hope this helps.

SW

Here is more info about covid testing (PCR and antigen) at Zurich airport [not sure if these are the same facility or different than the link in previous post]. It says the results "Test result is issued in english and password protected (PDF sent by eMail)" https://checkport.info/covid-testcenter-flughafen-zuerich-2

This is a different testing centre in Zurich: https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/triemli/en/index/service/corona-testcenter.html For the rapid antigen test they say "Travel certificate in German and English." They don't mention the language for the PCR results.

So at least some test centres say they are issuing certificates in English or multi-lingual with English. Checking around in advance will be important to find a test centre that meets ones needs for test type, timing for guaranteed return of results [I am impressed with how fast these centres get their results back compared to what we have here!!!], cost, language on test certificate, etc.

Of course, everything is subject to change !

Last edited:
I'm wondering if all the cruise lines have the same policies about not accepting EU vaccinations?
Disney uses an outside firm to validate the vaccines and test, so the issue should be the same for any cruiseline that uses them.
With Disney the only downside with not having my vaccination accepted would be that I have to pay for tests, but with other cruise lines I would be denied cruising altogether or at least I would not have access to vaccinated only, mask-free areas of the ship.
I'm also wondering if Disney will allow EU people to explore ports by ourselves or if we need to book DCL port adventures.

Then again, the US border is not officially open for non-essential travel by EU residents so Disney may not see a need to hurry to find a way to verify our vaccination certificates.

I am not clear if DCL's issue is non-US vaccines or having traveled outside the US before the cruise or a combination of both.

In answer to your first question, Celebrity's current FAQ states (https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/healthy-at-sea/faqs):

What vaccines are accepted?
Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted. Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements.

In a later question, they state the only mixing of vaccines they allow are two mRNA and they note some countries may not allow mixing.

Here's is Royal's FAQ on the issue: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-accepted More detailed and nuanced response than Celebrity.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter