Those Hair Kiosks at the Mall!!!

Elmo9607

DIS Veteran
When will those things go away?? Ugh. There is one at the local mall that has been there for years. Every time I pass by, they do all but drag me over by the arm to go sit in their chairs. I have tried the old being on the phone trick, texting, bringing a friend with me, ignoring...nothing! :confused3:rotfl:

I am so tired of it. I usually just tell them "No thank you" in a polite but firm voice but sometimes they practially jump out in front of you to get your attention. Of course, they're flanked on all sides by salespeople so walking on the opposite side does no good!

It baffles me that with how annoyed everyone else looks when they try to dart by that it's still around. I still see people in their chairs getting their hair done though...I have a hard time believing their products are A) really all that great and B) sold at a fair price. I saw one lady buy their speil hook, line, and sinker one day. :sad2: Oh well. At least those darn Seacret Spa kiosks are gone!!!

I just sprint past, realizing they probably hate their jobs as much as you hate their job's existence.

When will those things go away?? Ugh. There is one at the local mall that has been there for years. Every time I pass by, they do all but drag me over by the arm to go sit in their chairs. I have tried the old being on the phone trick, texting, bringing a friend with me, ignoring...nothing! :confused3:rotfl:

I am so tired of it. I usually just tell them "No thank you" in a polite but firm voice but sometimes they practially jump out in front of you to get your attention. Of course, they're flanked on all sides by salespeople so walking on the opposite side does no good!

It baffles me that with how annoyed everyone else looks when they try to dart by that it's still around. I still see people in their chairs getting their hair done though...I have a hard time believing their products are A) really all that great and B) sold at a fair price. I saw one lady buy their speil hook, line, and sinker one day. :sad2: Oh well. At least those darn Seacret Spa kiosks are gone!!!
Look at your last paragraph... they're making sales. THAT'S why it's still around.

File a complaint with mall management. I did several years ago when one of those people would not leave me and my daughter alone as we walked past after I gave a polite "no thank you." I went to the information desk, filled out a form (didn't take long), and thought that would be the end of it. A mall manager actually called me a couple of hours later to get more information and told me that what they were doing violates the kiosk lease agreement. The next time I went they had stopped harassing everyone who walked by.

Funny, I just posted this same thing in a different thread yesterday. They are out of control for sure. My politeness where they are concerned has definitely worn out. I don't care how much they need a sale, chasing me down or trying to grab me will never be tolerable.

Personally if I had a place doing that I wouldn't even TRY to be polite. AT a certain level of behavior it is so unacceptable that I don't believe "Oh they are just doing their job" cuts it. Because frankly no one should EVER do the things your describing (they are touching people against their will!) Because if they really were good people that knew what they were doing was totally unacceptable they wouldn't be working there. I know I sure would never have that kind of job.

Yep they were after me and my daughter yesterday at the mall. I politely said "no thank you" and they said something like "ok come back after you leave the store". Luckily they weren't around when we came out.

I've complained at every mall I visit when I've been harangued by those kiosk sellers. I want them to know how much I resent having my shopping experience negatively affected by being accosted like I'm in a third world country.

The last time I was at the mall, three separate kiosks tried to engage me. I simply ignored the first two, but the third was really loud and I responded back equally loudly, "BACK OFF!" My dd was mortified, but then the two ladies behind us started applauding and they called out to me, "You tell 'em!"

Luckily, no one's ever touched me. If they touched me, I'd be touching them back and not to drag them into a chair to sell them something. As a born and bread city girl, that would just be my instinctive reaction -- don't touch me unless you're prepared to handle the consequences.

Funny, I just posted this same thing in a different thread yesterday. They are out of control for sure. My politeness where they are concerned has definitely worn out. I don't care how much they need a sale, chasing me down or trying to grab me will never be tolerable.

I don't even try to be polite any more. I get that its their job, but the people that work ours, seem slimy to me. I don't know why. I usually just ignore and keep walking.

We have 2 different ones in our mall. One is a hair kiosk and the other is some type of lotion/skin care thing.

They both literally follow people down the mall, trying to get them to stop. :scared::sad2:

We don't have annoying hair people at our mall that I've noticed. Instead, I get harassed by the child modeling "agency". They pounce on anyone with kids and give them the line about how the kid is "so cute". Last year, I got "aw they're so cute, are they twins?". DD was about 4 months and DS was almost 3, so yeah I have twins. :rolleyes:

I HATE the people with the lotion something about the dead sea. They are the WORST. I try to be polite...no thanks but when the same person is aggressive to you each time you pass in a short period ( like 10 min) I yelled rudely the last time NO THANK YOU and think she may have finally got it. I noticed the same company also set up on the other side of the mall here nail stuff too. The guy was talking to me and I was like what...something about my shoes and then he went in to his nail speech and told me my nails were not lady like....really that is going to make me buy:lmao::lmao:

I've complained at every mall I visit when I've been harangued by those kiosk sellers. I want them to know how much I resent having my shopping experience negatively affected by being accosted like I'm in a third world country.

The last time I was at the mall, three separate kiosks tried to engage me. I simply ignored the first two, but the third was really loud and I responded back equally loudly, "BACK OFF!" My dd was mortified, but then the two ladies behind us started applauding and they called out to me, "You tell 'em!"

Luckily, no one's ever touched me. If they touched me, I'd be touching them back and not to drag them into a chair to sell them something. As a born and bread city girl, that would just be my instinctive reaction -- don't touch me unless you're prepared to handle the consequences.

I had one of them grab my arm once and you can bet I slapped it away, with an angry " You do not touch me." If I'd have had time, I would have been in the mall security office filling out a complaint form, but as it was I was in a hurry and trying to get out as quickly as possible. I just try to avoid our mall at all costs. It is pretty ghetto and there's only 1 or 2 stores I shop at in there anyway.

Being a bald guy these kiosks do not effect me.

In the local mall here, the kiosks have it written in the contract, that they will not approach anyone. They need to come to you. If someone complains to management, they review security tapes. If they see it on the tape you are fined X amount, happens again within the month, you are kicked out. The only reason I know this is because our Sunglass Hut is a kiosk here and my sister works for them.

Works wonders. Even greater so at this time of year, with all the temp ones. You can walk right on by and they say/do nothing.

Complain to the mall office. Seriously. Every time it happens. The hair people, and especially the lotion people, were super aggressive at my mall when they first arrived. They'd follow you down the mall and grab you. I almost smacked one of them who was especially bad.

Now, they're not allowed to do that. They'll try to get your attention, but they don't yell, they don't touch you, and they stay next to the kiosk.

One time I had someone actually walk up to me and try to put some type of neck warmer thingy on my shoulders - that just skeeved me out and I snarled at them to back off.

The rest of the kiosk people, I just say no thank you and keep walking, then I ignore them. The line found here is "excuse me miss, can I ask/show you something...?

Out here, most of them seemed to be annoyed they're even working. Only a handful of times has some one thrown out a "here try this" spiel at me.

I thought it was against most state laws to touch a person's hair or face unless you were licensed by the state?

Not sure how cosmetic counters get away with up but there was some rule...I just can't remember. Years ago when I sold Mary Kay for a short time, we were told that was why you demonstrate makeup application but you could not apply the makeup yourself for the person. I could, because I was licensed to do that type of thing but as a general rule, it was a no-no.

Hmm...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter