Those 2 Gals from Ohio take California by Storm! - Part I

Marla Hellwig

I'm not lost, it's called creative exploring
CAST: Marla - mom, trip planner
Kara - DD, 10 - loves any things that moves!

SUPPORTING CAST: TheLionKing - aka Dave
Tink 33 - aka Lesley
Milo and Lora - aka Mrs. Milo
Lesley's family - DH - Tim, DS - Tyler, DD - Lilly
Aunt Joe and Uncle Bob

WHEN: August 17 - August 26, 2001

Once again, those two gals from Ohio are on the road again. And once again, I surprised Kara with a trip.

This time, I had some help with the planning of this trip - thanks to Lesley and Dave!

After a few months of some casual planning, I woke Kara up at 4:00 a. m., Friday, August 17 and asked who wanted to go to California? She bounded out of bed with a happy scream and was dressed so fast that it made my head spin! My parents, once again, got out of their bed, and drove us to the airport.

Our flights today were from Dayton, OH to Dallas / Ft. Worth arriving in Long Beach, California. The flight left Dayton on time and we arrived in Dallas 20 minutes early. But as soon as we got to the gate, the skies just opened up. Terrible rain, lightning, and thunder storm. Hence, we had a 2 ½ hour delay in departing. We finally took off and once out of the area the flight was smooth. We landed in Long Beach to sunshine and smelling the ocean breezes!

I have an aunt and uncle who live in Fullerton, who we stayed with, were at the airport to meet us. Once we got to their house, it was the general stuff, unpacking and catching up. Had dinner at home that night. I got Kara in the bath and to bed early - with promises of a surprise in the morning! But, I think she knew what it was!

SATURDAY, AUGUST 18:

Up and at them early as we were to meet Dave and Lesley at Gate 13 at Disneyland at 7:30 a. m. We were dropped off at the NEW drop off location which is right on Harbor Blvd., in front and between DL and DCA. It was a short walk to the park entrances. Yes, I see a couple of people standing under a tree - hmmm yes its Dave and Lesley. After months of chatting we all finally meet. Hugs all around and off to the gate, where we find out that Dave had forgotten his annual pass - it was in his car. So, Kara and I went in with Lesley and were to meet Dave at the Partner’s Statue, in front of the castle. A quick stop to rent a locker - we used the ones in the building where Lost and Found is.

Once we got to the statue, Pluto was holding court and Kara was able to visit with him while we were waiting. Of course, some pictures were taken and Lesley and I were just chatting a mile a minute. Once Dave appeared, we took a few more pictures, and then we parted, Lesley to renew her annual pass and us to Fantasyland. In short order, we rode Dumbo, Snow White, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, and the Carousel. Somewhere in between these rides, Dave realized that Kara and I are commandos! We started off to the Tea Cups, but stopped and did the Storybook Land Canal Boats. This is such a cute ride, but one that takes a while to load and unload. After our trip through the world of miniatures, we headed off to do the Tea Cups. Now, I don’t spin - can’t spin - the Tea Cups aren’t a favorite ride for me. On the other hand, Kara LOVES to spin. Dave was up for riding with her, so I stayed behind, and video taped their fun. After the ride was over, Dave commented "you told me she liked to spin" Yes, they were a little dizzy! While we got in line to ride Alice, Dave went and got Fast Passes for Autopia for us. We were just finishing the ride when he returned.

I believe a potty break was somewhere here along the line, and Kara started her second favorite thing to do - SHOP! Yes, I have raised this child well. She bought herself a pair of Tigger ears and proudly wore them the rest of the weekend. Now it was time for a cruise through "ts a small world". This is better than the one at WDW. Especially with the clock works on the outside of the building. Next off to the Matterhorn. This is another favorite ride, and Kara agrees with me.

Time for our spin on Autopia. We all took separate cars. To me, the ride seemed longer than it had been in the past, but then again, it may not be. There was even a traffic jam at the end - just like the real L A traffic!

Off to Space Mountain to obtain Fast Pass. While waiting for our trip through the galaxy, we did the Astro Orbitor. Potty break and then off to Space Mountain. This is such a cool ride and I love the addition of the music here. Our picture was way too cool, totally unplanned, so it was purchased.

We had reservations at the BLUE BAYOU at 12:45 p. m. and we had arranged to meet Milo and Lora (Mrs. Milo) for lunch. Also Melissa from Idaho was to attend but due to a mix up with the time change of our reservations - alas, we didn’t connect. Thanks for Lesley to obtaining this PS for us!

So, from Tomorrowland, we walked through a couple of gift shops, a stop at the lockers, and another potty stop, we arrived at the Blue Bayou a few minutes before our scheduled meet. We looked through the shops keeping a sharp eye out for - wait - there they are. Its Milo and Mrs. Milo! We continued chatting until it was time for us to be seated. This restaurant is so cool. It is set inside of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. In all of the times that I have been to DL, I have never eaten in here. Of course, I knew what I wanted before I even sat down! Yes the Monte Cristo! Yummy. Kara had the Mickey shaped chicken nugget meal from the kids menu - which is printed on a cute pirate hat, Dave, Milo and I had the Monte Cristo and I believe Lora had a grilled Chicken salad. I was the last one done - hey I was savoring every bite. Who knows when I will be back! No one had room for dessert, but we sat for a few enjoying the companionship. Thanks to Dave for treating all of us to lunch!

After we waddled out, it was time to ride the Pirates. Here is were the story gets a little sad. :( I was wearing my Mickey Home Town Parade hat which I had gotten when Kara and I went to that was in our area in 1999. Alas, the ride ate my hat! Just as we were going down the first drop, I reached up to secure it and poof it was gone. Attempts to catch it failed and it went over board. I just love this ride - it is one of my all time favorites - even if it "ate" my hat!. It is so much better at DL than at WDW. (My Humble Opinion). Once off the ride, I reported the missing hat, was told to come back in a hour to check for it. Before lunch we had gotten Fast Pass for Indiana Jones, and it was almost time for that. But, before that, Fast Passes were obtained for Big Thunder.

Milo and Lora sat out Indiana. As we were walking through the Fast Pass line, Kara stopped and asked "could Dave hold my hand?" I told her to ask, and they walked through the rest of the queue holding hands. This should have raised a flag for me. Kara had been getting on all of the rides first up to this point. As we were getting ready to board our jeep, Kara said she would ride between us and for Dave to go in first. Again, this should have raised another flag, but she has ridden this ride before. We hadn’t been on it very long when Kara started crying and yelling that she wanted off. Next thing I know she has a "death grip" on Dave and my hands crying really hard. I don’t know what got her, but she was really upset. We got off the ride, she started to the exit, saying "never never never never again"! We stopped at the drinking fountain, washed her face and calmed her down. Well, let me tell you, I felt like such a bad mommy at that point!

We met up with the Milo’s, and stopped for our first Mickey bars of the day. Kara couldn’t finish her's, so I did the proper thing and finished it for her. We then proceeded to Tarzans’ Treehouse. The Milo’s didn’t climb with us and we met up at the exit. Then to the Jungle Cruise. We had such a fun CM - she kept us laughing all of the way. Of course, there were some on board who kept finishing her lines for her. Hmmmmmmmm, anyone we know?

It’s time for Thunder Mountain. We rode in the first 3 cars. I prefer the back in this ride, but will take what we get. After the wildest ride through the west, the Milo’s parted company to go check into their hotel, and the merry band of 3 headed off to the Tiki Room - I think. By now, I’m a little fuzzy on what ride we rode when and with who. But I do know we were having a ball.

Around this time, we stopped back at Pirates to check on my wayward hat. It hadn’t "surfaced" yet, and I was told to stop in at Lost and Found and put a claim in.
My feet were yelling at me to sit for a bit. I found a place to sit on a wall while Kara and Dave went and got our Fast Passes for Splash Mountain. Our return time was really late - after the fireworks which were to go off at 9:25 p.m.

Stayed Tuned for Part II :D

I can imagine Kara getting up and flying around to get ready. What a picture! I'm so glad your trip is off to a great start. Hope it continues. :)

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>Marla,

I just love how you surprised Kara with the trip. :) Sounds like you guys were having so much fun ... so, who was more dizzy, Kara or tlk? ;)

Thanks for such a detailed trip report. It sounds like y'all had a wonderful day - except for your poor hat and the Indy incident :(

I'm off to read Day 2!

Oh Marla, you write the best trip reports. Just the right amount of detail, so I feel like I was there, but not more than we need to know!!

I feel so bad for Kara. Those things just happen sometimes. And you are a GREAT mom!!!

Tink,

I am sure that coming from you, I would love to hear it all!!

:) :)

Michelle

Marla,
Great trip report, I read all of your installments, but now I'm worried - I had been planning on taking my 8 year old daughter on Indiana Jones when we are there, is that a mistake? Is it too intense for her? Do you know why exactly Kara got so upset on it?
Meanwhile, the rest of your trip sounds like a blast!
Suzannen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter