Thomas Kinkade artwork

LeslieG

DIS Veteran
Has anyone bought Thomas Kinkade artwork? My husband would like a piece, and they're really expensive, and I don't really understand too much about canvas, prints, etc. Looking for some help. Unfortunately, we don't have a gallery close to us. Are they the same price everywhere, or do you have to shop around?

I don't have a TON of experience, but my husband & I have 3 different Thomas Kincade prints. And trust me, they're NOT the same price everywhere! I'd shop around if I were you. Usually it seems like the galleries may be MORE expensive than other shops. We had a local frame shop that sold them (now closed) and it seemed like it was more reasonable than the galleries (plus, a ton of what they sell in the galleries are the actual paintings -- not the prints -- and they're TONS more than prints). You might want to check at a Lifeway Christian Store or Family Christian Store if there's one near you. I think they sell them too.

By the way, we bought ours at an art auction on a cruise ship and didn't have any idea of a reasonable price and we REALLY got ripped off. If I had to guess, your best bet is going to be either of the Christian bookstores I mentioned or a frame shop. Hope this helps!

That's what I was wondering. There's prints, and then there's the canvas? I saw the canvas was many hundreds, even into the thousands. I guess I'll have to look around more. Have you compared the print and the canvas? Do they look much different?

Too bad you didn't live closer. I would sell you mine. I'm tired of it & want something more modern looking. Its not canvas since I got it from QVC but it is signed. lol

I have a large Cinderella castle painting that we bought from a gallery. I know that I love it & I think that it's gorgeous. Sorry, I can't be of any more help than that though.

I have a large Cinderella castle painting that we bought from a gallery. I know that I love it & I think that it's gorgeous. Sorry, I can't be of any more help than that though.

Oh, I think I remember seeing that one. Since you got it from a gallery, is it canvas?

I just dug out the "Certificate of Limitation & Authenticity" that came with mine. They call it a limited edition offset lithograph of an original oil painting. Limited to 1750. Its re-signed and numbered by TK. Premium grade paper.

In 1994, they went for $285. I have the "Beyond Autumn Gate - Morning at Ivycrest Manor" print. 30" x 24" That was the price just for the print. Matting & frame I had done elsewhere for a pretty penny too.

Maybe that would help you figure what todays prices should be for prints?

That's what I was wondering. There's prints, and then there's the canvas? I saw the canvas was many hundreds, even into the thousands. I guess I'll have to look around more. Have you compared the print and the canvas? Do they look much different?

The prints are just that, they're PRINTS of the original paintings on canvas. And they could be a couple of hundred dollars if they're framed. But the ones on canvas are actual PAINTINGS. We just have some framed prints and I think they look very nice. We had ours custom framed, and I love how they look. Granted, the ones on canvas do look nicer -- but the prints don't look bad. Canvas just wasn't in our budget! And like you said, those can run several hundred and into the thousands of dollars. I'd just look around and look at the prints versus the canvas and see what you think -- and what you're willing to pay.

Also, a side note, if you notice at the bottom of the print, you can figure out exactly how rare (or not so rare) a print is. There will be a couple of numbers -- it'll look like this ##/###. The number before the "/" is which number your print is. The number after the "/" is how many total prints there are out there. So if you see one that has a 56/186 (for example), that means that's print #56 of only 186.

We just bought the print of cinderellas castle and the snow white one for christmas presents to each other.:banana: The one thing i would suggest is to do your homework!!!! There is quite a bit of difference even in the types of canvas that are sold and this could mean a difference of several thousand dollars in the value. None of the ones you see at the galeries are the "original"...they are printed by a machine onto either canvas or high grade paper. the canvas ones are touched up and highlighted by hand after that...and some are even highlighted by Thomas Kinkade himself. Before we decided to go with paper DW visited the gallery and was able to see both of them side by side.....there was a considerable difference between them. We had originally planned on getting the castle in canvas but the more we thought about it we decided to go with paper....mainly because we kept thinking about what 1 kid with a squirtgun or something similar could do to an unprotected canvass:scared1:
I do suggest you speak with someone from the Kinkade store. My wife called several during our search. The majority of the people there are extremely helpful and happy to answer any questions (believe me we had a ton....she even wrote all our questions out so she wouldnt forget to ask any). You can find out quite a bit of information about the different types of prints online also.

Be careful about what size you purchase as well...if it is unframed you will find out the hard way that a nice frame w/matting sometimes ends up being more that the artwork.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter