This is truly painful!

I think the OP just wants to vent their frustration as opposed to asking for any advice! :confused3

"The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often awry"
R. Burns

Lost our reservation because we were forced to cancel...long story short we booked a package at poly in November room+tix. Made our ADRs for the whole family (14 in all, aunts uncles grandparents cousins etc...) because no one else would pull the trigger. Half the family wants to stay POR half at Poly. No biggie there except no rooms are available for GV. So they all got there POR ressie and we lost our treasured Poly and we did all the work! Staying at the Poly makes our Disney vacation. I don't want to go now...I can't justify the expense if we are not going to get the experience we want plus now the whole family is stomping us...ugh! If we want to be with them we have to stay POR but we don't want too.

I wish I had your problems..

This is why we do not take trips with anyone else but our immediate family. If your family cancelled your ressie that is just plain rude but when you chose to travel with others you have to be willing to make concessions.
Plus the price of Poly versus the price of POR is a huge difference. Maybe others can not afford it or are like us and think the money is better spent on meals and in the parks.
As a person who has stayed at POR I think you will love it. It is IMO much prettier than the Poly which I have visited many times over the years but we have never stayed there. I've been to Hawaii several times and Poly just doesn't do anything for me for the price you pay.
If you can get past not having Ohana or Kona I think you will enjoy POR.

I read OP's other thread from 2 days ago they are going in June and she somehow lost her Poly GV reservation because the grandparents bought tickets for the kids and there are no room only GV Poly reservations left.
I'd post the link but don't quite know how on my IPhone.
I do sympathize, OP has been planning since Nov. on a certain vacation and doing ADRs for 14 people (no easy feat) then suddenly the family goes in a different direction. My family does that, they dither around and then @ the last minute all plans change - drives me nuts as I'm a planner. Personally the chance to be w/ grandparents/cousins for my child would trump which resort I stayed at especially knowing that in the future I'd be returning to WDW and staying exactly where I wanted. Perhaps not everyone in the family can afford to stay deluxe.

That sucks, but why not just keep their part of the package reservation at the Poly and hold on to the tickets for a later trip?

When dealing with compromise, you always have to decide where you'll draw the line. If you think staying at POR with the rest of the family at a lesser cost will ruin your vacation, then maybe that's ok, but you won't get to go on the vacation with your family. Maybe that's the point...you don't really want to go with them.

Personally, I would go and stay at a less expensive hotel rather than skip it altogether, but I've never been able to justify staying at the Poly to begin with.

All is well again...Talked to guest services and they were able to recover our reservation and drop the tickets. We did book last November (2012) for June of 2013, not for this coming November. We have five in our family DH, Myself, DD14, DD12, DD 8 and had tentatively scheduled this trip two years prior. The rest of the family just kind of jumped on board and informed us they were going to come with us. We saved for two years to stay at the Poly again because the resort holds something special near and dear to our hearts that has a long story attached to it with a lot of Pixie dust and magic that helped heal our hearts after the loss of one of our children, but we just couldn't pay the extra beyond the GV. Yes, it is incredible we can afford this but it was planned and we saved and saved to honor a memory that is dear to us. Staying POR wasn't so much an issue of Mod vs. Deluxe as it is something completely different I didn't communicate. We love Disney and all it has given us through the years and yes the experience would be great no matter what... But, we wanted to go back to the Poly because it is a part of the experience beyond the parks themselves. For us it is part of the magic. Disney as always came through for us. It was upsetting because I felt we had lost something bigger than a hotel room, what was truly painful was the missed opportunity for us to honor a celebration of life no matter how short lived it may have been and immerse ourselves in the joy and magic that fills our hearts when we are there. Thank you Disney for understanding and your dilligent efforts to help us resolve such a petty issue as a GV room at a deluxe resort.

I am so happy that it all worked out for you. It is hard for everyone to understand hidden feelings or meaning behind people's reactions to events or situations on a board such as this. Another board I frequent had an interesting thing happen where someone posted a very sarcastic comment to a question asked by a new poster. After thought, the sarcastic poster realized it was just a reaction due to the loss of his 7 year old son on the way home from a trip to a park. He wrote an apology post that was very moving. I hope your trip is exactly what you need and hope for.

I'm glad you got your reservation back -- hopefully you can find a way to blend your immediate family's need for a special time at WDW and your extended family's desire to join you. :goodvibes

Marjx3 said:
All is well again...Talked to guest services and they were able to recover our reservation and drop the tickets. We did book last November (2012) for June of 2013, not for this coming November. We have five in our family DH, Myself, DD14, DD12, DD 8 and had tentatively scheduled this trip two years prior. The rest of the family just kind of jumped on board and informed us they were going to come with us. We saved for two years to stay at the Poly again because the resort holds something special near and dear to our hearts that has a long story attached to it with a lot of Pixie dust and magic that helped heal our hearts after the loss of one of our children, but we just couldn't pay the extra beyond the GV. Yes, it is incredible we can afford this but it was planned and we saved and saved to honor a memory that is dear to us. Staying POR wasn't so much an issue of Mod vs. Deluxe as it is something completely different I didn't communicate. We love Disney and all it has given us through the years and yes the experience would be great no matter what... But, we wanted to go back to the Poly because it is a part of the experience beyond the parks themselves. For us it is part of the magic. Disney as always came through for us. It was upsetting because I felt we had lost something bigger than a hotel room, what was truly painful was the missed opportunity for us to honor a celebration of life no matter how short lived it may have been and immerse ourselves in the joy and magic that fills our hearts when we are there. Thank you Disney for understanding and your dilligent efforts to help us resolve such a petty issue as a GV room at a deluxe resort.

So glad this came to a positive conclusion for you all. Have a wonderful trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter