This is not a Pin ?????

magicbob

DIS Veteran
My daughter traded for some pins on our recent trip that had cute phrases such as:

"Looking 4 [Mickey]'s"
"Wanna Trade?"
"Happy Trading!"

One of the pins says "This is not a Pin!" See image below.

I'm assuming there's a pun or inside joke involved, but I don't get it. Can someone enlighten me on what the meaning of that phrase is?

Thanks.

Notapin.jpg

These pins were part of the 2010 Hidden Mickey Series at WDW. Along with yours there were also:

"I only need one more" and "I (heart) Disney Pins"

You can find more info about them here: http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

We sort of took them as a joke, "This is not a Pin" in particular. We wore them around our Friday pin trading night in St. Augustine and in the parks too for a while. They are cute and I was lucky enough to find authentic ones early on before they were being counterfeited. Right now there are tons of fake ones on cast lanyards at the parks.

We sort of took them as a joke, "This is not a Pin" in particular.

I assumed it was a joke of some kind, but I thought maybe there was some "inside" meaning to the phrase that I wasn't aware of. Like when Animal Kingdom first opened and they used the "African" term "Natazu" (Not a Zoo). I keep trying to pronounce the phrase different ways to see if some hidden meaning emerges! Surely there's no connection to discount "pin" codes, right?

The reference is to the late 1920s The Treachery of Images by René Magritte, where the text below a picture of a smoking pipe reads "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." which translates to "this is not a pipe."

Disney made a fairly clever play on a painting that was produced about 80 years prior to the pin's design, so the reference is a bit obscure.
MagrittePipe.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter