This (DISNEY)land Was Made For You and Me - July 2016 Weight Loss and Lifestyle Change Challenge

The pidgeys, Rattatas and zubats are driving me nuts. I never stand in one area when there is a lure. I am more there to get my steps so i continue to walk in a in a circle to get the pokemon. I have yet to try a gym and fighting. I do sit on a poke stop at work all day and the nice people around here always have a lure on the stop. I am leaving up pretty quick.

Congrats on leveling up! :D

So many Pidgeys. I think we live in a Pidgey farm or something. :rotfl:

Question of the Day - July 28
Toontown is the place where the 'toons reside - and you're literally walking through their Neighborhood.
So let's talk about walking through your neighborhood and your exercise routines.

Are you more of a person who likes to work out inside or at the gym?
Or do you prefer to be outside now that it's summer?
Edit: For @4Mickeys - we know it's winter. How has that affected your exercising?
I much prefer to be outside. I have a gym membership that I haven't used since the snow melted! I do want to add strength training to my routine, and at that point which might be when the snow is falling again, I will likely start using the gym for both walking and strength training.

July 29 -- Tomorrowland
O98XVUl.jpg

We are now at our last stop on our tour --- TOMORROWLAND.

I'm not quite sure how to talk about Tomorrowland because ... it doesn't know quite what it wants to be.
Budget cuts and poor planning decisions during Michael Eisner's reign brought a hodge-podge of changes to this
once-former awesome land. That ugly structure you see in the front of the entrance (above)? That was pulled
from Disneyland Paris and unfortunately has made it nearly impossible to walk through -- major bottlenecking issues.
(Today in Disney Trivia: DLP's tomorrowland is actually Discoveryland - and everything is steam punk. See how out of place it looks?)

Tomorrowland is suppose to be a land of the future. Check out how amazing it looked about 40 years ago:
28423bf653a9443cc51de18346968141.jpg

That looks so much better! Sadly the Rocket Jets were removed in favor of the Astro Orbiter. And the people mover track
has sat empty for about the last 15 years when Rocket Rods replaced the People Mover - and were removed a year later.
(People Mover: Bring it back! Bring it back!)

If you think Tomorrowland is having an identity crisis now... check out what it looks like today.
zeWujgu.jpg
jrv0peU.jpg

svHN62Q.jpg
star-wars-launch-bay-03.jpg
348s.jpg

Um... Welcome to Faux Star Wars Land, ladies and gentlemen (?).
Yes, sadly Tomorrowland isn't even a shell of its former self. For about the last year it's been a Star Wars bonanza. With ugly
signs of "Season of the Force" plastered all over, an overlay of HyperSpace Mountain on Space Mountain, Star Wars music,
and the removal of Captain Eo replaced with an oddly spliced highlight reel for Path of the Jedi. Launch Bay was formally
Innoventions and now boasts props and costumes from the Star Wars movies.

Wrap your head around this --- we have a Star Wars land being built, but Star Tours is IN Tomorrowland and all attractions
in Tomorrowland are being replaced with Star Wars for an unknown amount of time for "Season of the Force" (which has lasted 4 seasons already!)

I think little Charlie summarizes my feelings on the subject ;)
855.gif

Question of the Day - July 29
So, Tomorrowland presents us with the idea that it's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow and we should look forward
to the future. Sadly - Disneyland's Tomorrowland is sort of murky and has no vision / focus. It's in an identity crisis!

I know in your journey that you've had some great ideas of where you wanted to be, but maybe you've had to modify
some of those plans or... adapt to situational changes. Let's talk about shifting plans and modifying goals.
Tell us about how your vision/goals have changed during this process and how you've changed with your progress.

Bonus: Have you experienced Season of the Force? Are you excited for Star Wars Land?

July 29 -- Tomorrowland
O98XVUl.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to talk about Tomorrowland because ... it doesn't know quite what it wants to be.
Budget cuts and poor planning decisions during Michael Eisner's reign brought a hodge-podge of changes to this
once-former awesome land. That ugly structure you see in the front of the entrance (above)? That was pulled
from Disneyland Paris and unfortunately has made it nearly impossible to walk through -- major bottlenecking issues.
(Today in Disney Trivia: DLP's tomorrowland is actually Discoveryland - and everything is steam punk. See how out of place it looks?)

Tomorrowland is suppose to be a land of the future. Check out how amazing it looked about 40 years ago:

That looks so much better! Sadly the Rocket Jets were removed in favor of the Astro Orbiter. And the people mover track
has sat empty for about the last 15 years when Rocket Rods replaced the People Mover - and were removed a year later.

If you think Tomorrowland is having an identity crisis now... check out what it looks like today.
zeWujgu.jpg
jrv0peU.jpg

svHN62Q.jpg
348s.jpg

Yes, sadly Tomorrowland isn't even a shell of its former self. For about the last year it's been a Star Wars bonanza. With ugly
signs of "Season of the Force" plastered all over, an overlay of HyperSpace Mountain on Space Mountain, Star Wars music,
and the removal of Captain Eo replaced with an oddly spliced highlight reel for Path of the Jedi. Launch Bay was formally

Wrap your head around this --- we have a Star Wars land being built, but Star Tours is IN Tomorrowland and all attractions
in Tomorrowland are being replaced with Star Wars for an unknown amount of time for "Season of the Force" (which has lasted 4 seasons already!)

855.gif

So, Tomorrowland presents us with the idea that it's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow and we should look forward
to the future. Sadly - Disneyland's Tomorrowland is sort of murky and has no vision / focus. It's in an identity crisis!

I know in your journey that you've had some great ideas of where you wanted to be, but maybe you've had to modify
some of those plans or... adapt to situational changes. Let's talk about shifting plans and modifying goals.
Tell us about how your vision/goals have changed during this process and how you've changed with your progress.

Bonus: Have you experienced Season of the Force? Are you excited for Star Wars Land?

My journey is ever changing. With the kids and schedules I plan to do something and then it changes. I have accepted that I am not going to get to the rec as often as I would like. So I have started to modify how I work out and this group has helped to keep me accountable with doing stuff at home. This month I changed my monthly goal from a number on the scale to what I am doing. I started at what I thought would be fairly simple. 10,000 steps a day and two work outs a week. I haven't been able to get to the rec at all for a good workout so I used the Wii board I have from the Wii Fit game and twice a week I step about 3,000 steps with it. I haven't seen the scale move much and really this week it went up but I am losing inches. Clothes are fitting better and I can fit back into my size 12 jeans. Next month I am going to do the same but add in squats each day. I am doing to start off low and then each day add 5 more.

These have not been big changes but I need to be a little better at being flexible with schedules and not give up on the day. Stepping in my living room at 11:30 at night to get my last steps for the day because it was the only time I had or walking around a wedding hall before leaving because I knew I would not be back home in time. I might have looked a little crazy that night. Thankfully it was family.

I have not been to Season of the Force. Well I don't think I have. We did see all of the Star Wars stuff at DHS in June. We love Star Wars in our house. Well maybe not my daughter but she tolerates it. I am very excited about the land coming but I am also very excited about Toy Story land too. Our next trip will not be until it opens.

This weekend will be a wash as far as food goes. We are going out to eat to night and then will have ice cream cake. Tomorrow my husbands grandmother is taking us to dinner and she got us a cake too. Then my dad just asked if he could take us out to dinner on Sunday. Lots of eating out in my future. I will have to pick some healthier foods on the menu.

I will try to get back on before the end of the weekend but it is looking like a very busy one and I am not sure if I will be. If I don't I will check in on Monday morning.

July 29 -- Tomorrowland
O98XVUl.jpg

zeWujgu.jpg
jrv0peU.jpg

svHN62Q.jpg
348s.jpg

855.gif

I've only recently begun thinking about how to I might like to change my vision/goals. I'm still trying to lose weight and it is working, so for the most part, I'm just staying the course.

Lately, because I am a little tired of the games that I play with myself with scale based goals (I've been known to undereat or go a little nuts with the exercise as I get to the end of the week/month), I decided to switch my goal to an activity based one that operates linearly. Either I do it or I don't, but at least I'm not doing things like frontloading heavier calorie dinners towards the beginning of the week, so I can have low calorie dinners closer to weigh in day. I think I this version of "success" much better.

So, I guess that's a modification of goals - however, even though I don't have a weight loss "goal" for the week or for the month, you'd better believe I am watching my weight like a hawk!

As I get closer to my initial goal weight (@25 more pounds will put me at a just barely healthy BMI), I am starting to think about adding some weight training to my routine. It seems most people who are truly happy with their bodies do some form of resistance training. I've balked in the past because I tend to go whole hog (diet and lots of exercise) and then get burned out and stop. This time I decided that I would focus almost 100% on the "calories in" part and just do lots of walking for the "calories out" part and I have been able to keep up with things for over a year.

I always knew that eventually I will want to start some form of weight training and now, I think I'm ready. I'm going to start reading up on beginner weight workouts (maybe even just bodyweight exercises, which I hear are a good place to start) and when the kids go back to school and we all get back into a routine, I think I will begin a new stage of this journey.

I missed a couple days, so I'll answer 2. I walk both outside and on a treadmill in my walk-in closet. My preference just depends on what's going on. If it's hot, I stay inside. If it's nice, I take a kid or a dog (or both) and go outside. Sometimes I do both in one day to get my steps in. I know that the big block is 2000 steps, the regular block is 1000, so if I'm just a little short, I do that at the end of the day. Some days I end up on the treadmill at 8 pm because I have 5000 more steps to get! Actually though, that's getting less common now. I'm very aware of my activity all day and I've decided I like starting my day with 30 minutes on the treadmill, just to get it done.

My plan is always changing. I really have tried to change my focus from losing x amount of pounds to eating and being healthy. Growing up my mom was always on a diet of some sort (and popping diet pills) even though she probably weighed 105 pounds. I want to teach my kids the right way to be healthy and be a good example to them.

My in-laws are here for the weekend, so hopefully getting my steps won't be too much of a challenge. I am at 100% of my goal and I don't want to flake out at the end!

@piglet1979 sorry for missing your birthday..... but :bday: a little late - I hope you had a wonderful day.

I agree with the other busy mums that goals are frequently flexible around busy family commitments. My goals have definitely changed each month this year - and I really wonder if it that is because I am finding it all harder than I expected. I have changed from a weight loss goal, to eating goals and various activity goals. I have had varying success at each goal. I should hit 100% of my goal for this month as long as I walk this afternoon and tomorrow .... I am feeling better when I walk but I am finding the scales frustrating :worried: ... they have jumped all over the place this month and will likely finish it up from the end of last month but still down overall. I know I should be happy that I haven't regained all of it .... I just need a little more to help with that motivation. So I guess my vision is changing to realising this is going to take a lot longer and require more effort than I first thought. Hmmm whine over .....

I have not seen Season of the Force .... we are excited for Star Wars Land especially my boys.

I agree that Tomorrowland has lost its way .... we enjoyed some of the rides when there but let me say I hated the Astro Orbiters getting in/out was not easy, you sit on a weird angle and then just go around and around (don't get me wrong I love Dumbo) but Astro Orbiters never again. Once they have Star Wars Land sorted they need to give some serious attention to Tomorrowland and give it a much deserved makeover.

July 29 -- Tomorrowland

Wowza.... great question! Wish I had more time to think about it, but I'll wing it for now. My original goal back in 2008 was just to return to WDW no bigger than I had been on my previous visit (about 170). I achieved that goal (with room to spare ;) ) and then went on my way to what I THOUGHT was my ultimate goal.... 145.... (approximately my wedding day weight). I lived in the 140's for a short time before I realized that I wasn't going to be completely happy at that weight. Even though I was lighter than I had been in most of my adult years, after two babies and some extra years on me, my body composition and "layout" wasn't the same and 145 didn't sit on me the same as it had in 1992. But since I had NEVER EVER been lighter than that in any of my adult years, it seemed like an unachievable goal. But lo and behold..... I hit the low 130's (and for one brief and shining day, 129 :lovestruc ) and I LIKE IT! Yes, there are times that I struggle to stay at this lower weight..... but after years of bouncing in the 130's (my "do-or-die" number on the scale that tells me things need to change is 139), I KNOW that anything under 135 is my happy place and I am willing to do the work and make the sacrifices to stay here!

BONUS: No experience with the Season of the Force. Not sure how I feel about SW land. But DS will LOVE it and it will be a good excuse for another visit to Disney!

Good morning friends! Wow.... can the crazy just STOP??!! We leave for vacation today and I don't know if we have ever needed a vacation MORE (as a whole family). DMIL's burial yesterday was short and sweet, but even Mother Nature was grieving, as we had some rain (mostly just sprinkles) during the graveside service. It was so heartbreaking to see her children (my DH and his siblings) and grandchildren each take a moment to touch the casket and say a final silent farewell. We are a Christian family and my DMIL was a woman of AMAZING faith so I know none of us have any doubt that she was welcomed into heaven by a choir of angels and that we will see her again.... but we are sad for ourselves here left without her. And the FRUSTRATION that it was so avoidable is absolutely palpable. She was bright and happy and healthy and FIESTY (that word came up in EVERY eulogy!) and this all just seems like one giant bad dream.

Anyhoooo...... there is no wi-fi at the cottage and the cellular coverage for DH's mobile hotspot is not reliable, so I will try to pop in occasionally, but not daily. I'm so sad that I missed so much of this month with you all, especially with such a WONDERFUL theme! Courtney, it has been wonderful to visit Disneyland VIRTUALLY through your eyes! You have made me DOUBLY excited for my upcoming trip!

I need to check my goal for the month, but I am down 1.7 for this month and considering everything, I'm pretty darn happy about that! Now the struggle will be to not gain it back during my vacation week.

Off to finish the LAST load of laundry and get the bags and boxes and totes into the car! I'd love to out the door by 10 am!.............P

ETA: I cannot for the life of me figure out what my goal for July was..... I remember going back and forth between 2 or 3 pounds. I am down 1.7, so I'm going to assume that my goal was 3 pounds and without doing much math, I'll say that my FINAL PROGRESS REPORT for July is 60%.

Last edited:

My goals didn't change. My vision and timelines did. My vision changed to someone who is happy and energetic and loves being energetic, active and healthy eater.

Last check in for the month!

THIS IS IT! THE FIRST MONTH I FULLY REACHED MY GOAL! 110% WHOO HOO!!

Thanks to the lovely host for facilitating this forum. It has been very motivating and much appreciated

My weight loss goals are constantly changing. After I had my last baby I was determined to lose 10 lbs a month until I hit my ideal weight. Here I am over a year later and I am still nowhere near where I wanted to be. I think it is because I was focusing on the wrong thing. I just worried about the weight and not really getting healthy. Now that I started to focus on my running goals(which includes eating better) the weight is slowly coming off. I guess because I can see the results faster in my running than on the scale. I have also modified my goal to losing 5 lbs a month. Making my goals smaller and more attainable also helps to keep me from feeling like a failure and giving up. Over this past month I learned with this thread that I don't have to do this on my own which was huge for me. My plans have shifted because before I was very ashamed of myself and just wanted to hide the fact that I am overweight and not happy with myself and thought I could do it alone. But letting go of that thinking and letting people in has been such a wonderful experience. I want to thank @courtneybeth for hosting this month, loved the Disneyland theme! I also want to say thank you to everyone for posting, you guys have no idea how much your stories have kept me motivated this month and helped me to achieve my goal!

Well the most significant aspect of my goals is that I've completely lost contact with them. I logged my weight in WW this morning, thinking I had only missed a couple weeks, but saw I had last logged it in late June. Haven't been tracking points in that time either, and it shows on the scale.

To get going again, this week I am going to focus on getting good food in my body, tasty and nutritious, not worrying about quantity, points or calories. And I'll cut back on dairy and sugar, which will be a huge shift.

My Texas Brother and wife will be in town next week and I'm having everyone over for a BBQ and we can all get together to visit my ALS SIL. So this weekend I'm working on household and yard chores to get ready. Getting the house cleared out and organized will help me reset my health journey, so it's all good. I've already done the little bedroom and several loads of laundry. Next is to head out for some errands, which will include a drop off at Goodwill. The weather has cooled off a bit, so that should help with energy.

Hope all have a fun and fabulous weekend.

I think it is because I was focusing on the wrong thing. I just worried about the weight and not really getting healthy. Now that I started to focus on my running goals(which includes eating better) the weight is slowly coming off. I guess because I can see the results faster in my running than on the scale. I have also modified my goal to losing 5 lbs a month. Making my goals smaller and more attainable also helps to keep me from feeling like a failure and giving up. !

I think one way to look at goal is decide what kind of person you want to be, how you want your life to be. If you decide you want to be healthy eater, if you decide you want to enjoy being active and running, if you focus on living like that person... It's different. It works for me better than weight as weight seem to be going up and down when it's the only focus. If healthy happy living is the real goal, the monthly goal isn't that significant. The most important thing is living in way that matches what you really want

hope this make some sense.

Last edited:
So I just thought I would pop in to report a non-scale victory that actually involves the scale. I stepped on the scale today and it wasn't sure if it was me or my husband. While that might be a scary thought for a lot of women, to be within 8 lbs of my "doesn't need to lose a pound" husband makes me really happy!

I read that the scale (fitbit aria) gets confused when two users are within 8 lbs of each other. Our data is private, so I don't actually know how much he weighs.

I guess my next non scale victory that involves a scale will be when the scale no longer confuses us, because then I'll be 8 lbs less than him!

I still have one more day before my final check in, so I'll be back tomorrow!

July 30/31st - Exiting Main Street and Ending our Journey

And now it's time to say good bye :(

We've reached the end of our tour. We've ridden many attractions and learned new trivia.
We've challenged ourselves to meet goals. We even had a snack or two.

As we walk out of the park, I hope you all take a moment to think about your accomplishments

this month and realize that the progress you made are real souvenirs!

And for those who reached 100% of your goal, you'll even get some real souvenirs
in the mail once I get paid on Friday :)

Reflection Question of the Weekend:
What are your final results? How did you make strides in making changes?
If you aren't satisfied with your progress, what changes will you make for next month?

Love you all! I'll get results posted on Monday and PM those who reached 100% for their pin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter