Third Time's The Charm! Solo Universal PTR AND TR! COMPLETE!!!

Be sure to get some insight into which wands you think they'd like. They have so many characters. We also got a chocolate frog and a jar of lemon drops with the honey dukes logo. Oh, and we got some Gringotts money too. Can be used around HP areas, but we're framing it as a souvenir. May not be that exciting to them if they've only seen the first movie though :) There is a great variety of souvenirs, so have fun shopping!

Thank you lazer for these awesome suggestions! :thumbsup2

Happy Halloween Everyone!
The time is coming fast and so I've started a packing list. I didn't realize I needed so much stuff until I wrote it all down. :confused3 I think one of the most important things on the list is bonine. Don't want this to be me...:crazy2: I'm also getting a bit nervous because I told myself I had to be more adventurous with the roller coasters. I'm definitely going to try out The Hulk and see how it goes from there. Dragon Challenge and Rip Ride Rockit look very iffy to me. :worried: I'm also looking forward to the water rides! I hope the weather is warm enough (but not to warm) for it. Either way I'm excited for an awesome time. :thumbsup2
Wishing everyone a very safe and fun Halloween!
10 more days! :banana:

Happy Halloween! I hope you are getting super excited! I'm sorry to hear you are stressing about rides. The reason I love Universal so much (and just bought a pass....and have been there 7 times already with said pass) is because the rides are thrilling, but they aren't too crazy like they are at Six Flags and the like. Have you been on the Mummy already? I'd suggest that first. The bigger ones are somewhat difficult to compare because each has it's intense moments but in completely different ways. Hulk takes off quickly but for the most part is a smooth ride, Dragon Challenge drops easily but has some parts that really whip you around, and RRR has an intimidating lift but slows down so many times during the ride it's a lot less crazy than you think it will be. It takes some guts to give them all a try, but if you pace yourself you won't regret it! Dragon Challenge, when it was Dueling Dragons, was my very first roller coaster. I haven't looked back since!

Happy Halloween! I hope you are getting super excited! I'm sorry to hear you are stressing about rides. The reason I love Universal so much (and just bought a pass....and have been there 7 times already with said pass) is because the rides are thrilling, but they aren't too crazy like they are at Six Flags and the like. Have you been on the Mummy already? I'd suggest that first. The bigger ones are somewhat difficult to compare because each has it's intense moments but in completely different ways. Hulk takes off quickly but for the most part is a smooth ride, Dragon Challenge drops easily but has some parts that really whip you around, and RRR has an intimidating lift but slows down so many times during the ride it's a lot less crazy than you think it will be. It takes some guts to give them all a try, but if you pace yourself you won't regret it! Dragon Challenge, when it was Dueling Dragons, was my very first roller coaster. I haven't looked back since!

Aacvacation, I'm getting very excited! I do like roller coasters, it just takes me a while to warm up to them. I didn't really start riding coasters until I was almost an adult. I have ridden The Mummy at USO (and at USH which is a bit different) and very much like the ride! I'm looking forward to it. I'm also excited for the Hulk since I like the coasters that shoot you off right in the beginning like RnR @ DHS and California Screamin' @ DLR. My main issue with some roller coasters is that feeling of falling which I do not care for at all. Dr. Doom's Freefall would be a nightmare and that is why I'm reluctant to try Rip Ride Rockit. I'm not sure if Dragon Challenge has that or not. :confused3
Either way, there is still plenty to do! ;)

Last Minute Changes
I received some unexpected medical bills which caused me to re-evaluate my travel plans. :rolleyes: I definitely didn't want to cancel my trip so decided to cut some corners so to speak so I can still afford to go. I went ahead and cancelled my 2 night stay at RPR. :sad1: As much as I would have enjoyed experiencing a new hotel and the express pass, this saved me about $260. I'll be staying at Cabana Bay for the full 5 nights which I'm totally fine with and I'll be doing the parks for 5 days so I figured that will give me plenty of time to experience everything a couple of times even without the express pass. I guess this is where it's good to travel solo (or at least ride solo) as many rides have the SRL. :thumbsup2 I will also be eating at more counter service restaurants which is fine because it seems the theme parks do have a wide variety of food instead of the usual burgers and etc. I'm not a big breakfast eater and will resort to snacks in the morning so that will leave me with one big meal either an early lunch or a dinner that can be a bit more expensive. I'm definitely open to doing a late breakfast at Leaky Cauldron one day. :goodvibes I think one of my biggest expenses though will be souvenirs so will try to remain on a budget for that. I know everything will work out in the end and even if money gets too tight, there is always mom and dad. :rotfl2:

You`ll still have a wonderful time....yes it`s a shame about RP but at least you don`t need to cancel altogether and have a plan B available to you :thumbsup2

You`ll still have a wonderful time....yes it`s a shame about RP but at least you don`t need to cancel altogether and have a plan B available to you :thumbsup2

I guess that's what makes the AP handy so I'll have to come back and try out RPR! :)

Things To Do List
Well, I have 6 more days until I'm at Universal but I'll be heading over to California on Friday which limits my time to prepare for this trip! Not only do I have to pack for Florida but also for California which really isn't that big of a deal but it will entail warmer clothes. I also have to pack fancy clothes for my friend's wedding. Times like this I wish I could take a day off work just to get things organized! :laundy: That leaves me running some kind of errand every evening this week!

Tonight of course doesn't count as the cousins get together to watch the new episode of The Walking Dead. :3dglasses We have a potluck every Monday and tonight I'm in charge of bringing the hot dogs. Dinner starts at 6:00 so no time to do much of anything after work.

Tuesday is going to be haircut day. Split ends extravaganza! I usually don't go anywhere fancy for just a trim so it won't be a big deal.

Wednesday will be grocery day. As I mentioned before I don't really eat a lot in the morning so I will be buying a box of various foods like fruit snacks, granola bars and nuts. I'll have to look for fresh fruit while I'm over there. My (poor) eating habits actually work out at theme parks since I get hungry for a full meal around 11:00 and that's before the busy times. I'm also contemplating on bringing several bottles of water with me. I'm sort of picky about my bottled water and I'm also cheap. Are you allowed to bring bottled water into the parks? :confused3

Thursday will be focused on packing of course! I plan to get the suitcase out tonight (after TWD) and at least have it opened so I can start tossing things inside it. I usually have a tradition when it comes to packing. I put on The Office episodes while doing it because I've seen the show so many times that I really don't have to pay attention to every line. ;)

I know this week will go by fast but so looking forward to this much needed vacation! :dance3:

Last Post Before Trip!
Tomorrow I leave for California so this will be my last post until I return. I'm very excited but I'll be honest, I do have one main worry. This Arizona girl is worried about the weather. I checked the forecast and it has a few days with it reaching 80 degrees. Here, that is awesome weather but I'm not familiar enough with humidity to know if that is still nice weather in Florida. :confused3 I do want it to be warm enough to swim and try out the water rides but don't want to be sweating up a storm while walking around during the day. Am I worrying about nothing? Is it too warm to wear jeans during the day or is shorts the way to go? I'm definitely packing both so not a big issue. I guess I should just relax and enjoy the pre-vacation excitement. :goodvibes

I've also managed to get all my errands taken care of and last minute items bought. Last night I started packing with just throwing all kinds of things inside the suitcase and will organize it tonight. Charlie wasn't too happy about that since I set the suitcase on the bench at the end of my bed and that's his usual place when he's just chillin'. I'm sad that I'm leaving him behind this time while in California as I usually take him but my sweet cousin who adores Charlie will be staying over to keep him company. :hug:

So everything is going according to plan and so happy that this vacation will finally be happening in 3 days! :woohoo:
I'm looking forward to posting all about it when I return. ;)

I'm from Southern Louisiana, and our temps and humidity level are just like FL.
Right now with similar temps (high 80s/lows 60s) We wear shorts... If you are in bright sun, it can still feel pretty hot and the humidity just makes everything muggy. We had a very humid day today, but not all days this time of year are terribly humid. I do not like to be cold, so I usually have a jacket that I can wear early morning and in the evenings. DH and the kids make fun of me, though. So, best advice is to layer, if you are concerned, but you should be fine in shorts.
Hope you have a blast!

And So it Begins...

Well...what can I say? Was the third time the charm? :wizard: and the answer is a definite YES and...no. :( To explain right away is that I did get sick a few days into my trip. :sick: Therefore the last 2 days of my trip were not fun at all and so my trip report will probably not cover much of anything near the end of my week. But overall I had a great time and will look back on this trip with some wonderful memories. :cloud9:

Let me start off by saying a few things that I didn't exactly divulge about me from my earlier posts. Before my DLR solo trip I traveled alone a few times before. I also lived in Colorado to work at a ski resort for a winter season and drove to/from Phoenix a few times alone so I would say in my 20's, I was fairly independent. When I turned about 30, my vision became severely limited. I've always had vision problems since birth but no problems with keeping a job or driving a car. I knew my vision would eventually get worse as I got older and the time finally came when I couldn't drive anymore. It sucks being so dependent on others and even after 8 years it still doesn't get any easier but I deal.

I had not traveled alone since then so when I did the DLR trip solo and had a great time and able to get around pretty well, I thought for certain I would have the same non-issues when I went to USO. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case in some situations. To just give you a better understanding of my vision limitations, let me put in detail of how it is...I have absolutely no vision in my left eye. I had cataract surgery in my right eye a couple of years ago which my doctor inserted a lens so I can see well enough in front of me and somewhat far but have to use readers for up close. I have limited peripheral and depth perception in the right eye as well. It also takes a long time for my eyes to adjust from light to dark and too much sun is bothersome. You will see that I'm wearing sunglasses in most of my photos. When I'm not wearing sunglasses it was because it was a cloudy day.

The tools I use are a red/white cane and a palm-sized flashlight. These may seem like great things to have and in some circumstances, the cane and flashlight helped but not always. For instance, using a cane in non-crowded areas is ideal. When there are lots of people around, it's difficult as most are not watching where they are going (especially when everyone is busy gazing at the awesomeness of Diagon Alley ;)) and they tend to trip over my cane. The flashlight is good to use for stairs in dark areas but overall some ride queue areas were just too dark and windy for a small beam. I will explain more during my TR about those specific rides.

So this may not be your typical trip report but I do hope that maybe someone with similar limitations may find it helpful. ;) And of course it will also be from a solo perspective! :thumbsup2

I feel your vision loss pain! I have a retinal disease that caused me to lose my drivers license nine years ago. I also can't see depth perception or in the periphery. Light changes are also hell on my eyes! Going in and out of the ride queue from sunshine to dark is horrible. I use a seeing eye dog but he does not come with me inside, it's too loud and stressful on him. My 14-year-old or my husband drag me around showing me where to go in the parks. I'd be too scared to go by myself since I hurt myself a lot when I walk! I trip over curbs or run into poles when I'm going through the line. We have been going every year since 2004. I would really like to try and make it to Halloween horror nights! I look forward to reading about your trip and seeing how well things went with touring by yourself. I'm anxious to find out which areas you had problems with so I know what to watch out for when we leave in a few weeks :)

I am looking forward to reading your trippie.

I think you must have tremendous courage to do these trips on your own considering your sight issues. It really makes me stop and think at how we all take such things for granted.

I know what you mean about your cane. I hope you didn't have many issues :goodvibes

Looking forward to your TR. I am very impressed that you were able to navigate this vacation on your own!

You learn to laugh at yourself a lot with a vision impairment! life is never boring :)

The Mummy ride queue us the worst for me! All the turns and stairs are horrible.

And a side joke on me... I couldn't see the seating part well on forbidden journey and I tried to swing my leg over the "broomstick" thinking it was sideways and not a normal seat. Then I thought the hump between the leg slots were separate seats so I had both legs squeezed into one leg slot. My kids were dying with laughter. I am a walking disaster :)

I feel your vision loss pain! I have a retinal disease that caused me to lose my drivers license nine years ago. I also can't see depth perception or in the periphery. Light changes are also hell on my eyes! Going in and out of the ride queue from sunshine to dark is horrible. I use a seeing eye dog but he does not come with me inside, it's too loud and stressful on him. My 14-year-old or my husband drag me around showing me where to go in the parks. I'd be too scared to go by myself since I hurt myself a lot when I walk! I trip over curbs or run into poles when I'm going through the line. We have been going every year since 2004. I would really like to try and make it to Halloween horror nights! I look forward to reading about your trip and seeing how well things went with touring by yourself. I'm anxious to find out which areas you had problems with so I know what to watch out for when we leave in a few weeks :)

Vision loss sucks! But like everything else, one gets used to the limitations and some things are easy to overcome and some not so much. Dark and windy ride queues are definitely the worst for me and of course haunted mazes but most of the time I have a great friend or family member that will lend me an elbow to guide me through. But of course, I still manage to run into a pole or wall!

You learn to laugh at yourself a lot with a vision impairment! life is never boring :)

The Mummy ride queue us the worst for me! All the turns and stairs are horrible.

And a side joke on me... I couldn't see the seating part well on forbidden journey and I tried to swing my leg over the "broomstick" thinking it was sideways and not a normal seat. Then I thought the hump between the leg slots were separate seats so I had both legs squeezed into one leg slot. My kids were dying with laughter. I am a walking disaster :)

This happened to me too the first time I rode FJ! :lmao:

I am looking forward to reading your trippie.

I think you must have tremendous courage to do these trips on your own considering your sight issues. It really makes me stop and think at how we all take such things for granted.

I know what you mean about your cane. I hope you didn't have many issues :goodvibes

Looking forward to your TR. I am very impressed that you were able to navigate this vacation on your own!

Thank you for the kind words! I would say most people don't realize I have any vision limitations especially if it's a non-crowded, well-lit area. I don't use my cane on a daily basis but I'm very much aware of my surroundings and take things a bit slower which was actually nice since I could soak up the atmosphere. :cloud9:

Quick Reviews

*Side note: I usually post while I'm at work and since I've been out sick most of the week, I'm a bit delayed. I came into work on Wednesday and managed to post but after a couple of hours, my co-workers told me to go back home. I have also yet to upload my photos from the trip so officially the TR won't be starting until Monday when I return to work. Thank you for being patient!

Cabana Bay Resort: I can't say enough amazing things about this resort. It's bright and spacious and very retro of course. The staff were always friendly and welcoming. Pool areas were so much fun with plenty of loungers and outdoor seating areas. There was a definite resort feel to it. I found the gift shop to have a large amount of merchandise and the Starbucks area is big too. Oldies music was always fun to listen to while walking around.

Standard Rooms: As a solo traveler, I loved that the standard rooms were interior corridors which made me feel much safer. Housekeeping did a wonderful job and the rooms are so much fun with the decor and the retro labeled toiletries. I found the bed to be extremely comfortable and everything in the room worked properly. For needing that extra light, the room was perfect with lots of lighting and the best part were the windows which had some floor-to-ceiling panels that brought in that much needed natural light. If I had to say one negative thing about the room it's that the walls are way too thin. I could hear my neighbors conversations quite well if they talked in a louder-than-average tone. One family had a little boy and I heard everything he said very clearly but as excited as he was, I couldn't possibly blame him. :yay:

Bayliner Diner: I bought meals and treats from the diner several times during my stay. Again, I found this area to be open and spacious and very well-lit. I understand that I did travel during a slow period so of course crowds may vary. The food was generally fresh and cooked after ordering but some items were sitting under a warmer. The dining area is awesome with lots of seating and with rows of windows on either side it was just great to navigate. The best part were the large screens showing old-school commercials and clips of cartoons. I saw an old pop-tart commercial that looked disgusting. :crazy2:

Shuttles: Absolutely no complaints here. With only one exception (in which I waited a total of 3 minutes) there was always a bus waiting at the resort stop and at the parks. Bus drivers were friendly and more oldies music to listen to on the very short ride. :drive:

Universal Studios Orlando: Loved this park! I actually enjoyed coming here more than IOA. The different areas were very immersive and lots of characters out and about. So many details in everything. I'm sure I will talk more about my experiences when I write the more detailed TR.

Island of Adventure: Another exceptional park with great themes. This park definitely had more energy and seemed a bit more crowded at times but highly manageable. I think I liked the Jurassic Park area the best because it is so lush with vegetation that you forget that its in the middle of a busy theme park.

Diagon Alley: This sums it up...:worship:

Crowds: Super low crowds outside of the HP areas. I consider a walk-on to be less than five minutes and the only ride I waited for was Gringott's. BUT! I did utilize the SRL for most rides so even though they had a 15+ minute wait, I never waited more than a couple of minutes. The only time I felt a real crunch of people was Hogsmeade. Even Diagon Alley was quite manageable walking around. I would definitely go again this time of year.

Weather: Perfect! Not too cold and not too hot and certainly not too humid! I got one day of cloudy and cool and some light mist but I am in no way complaining. Thank you morwo1 for your advice on what to wear! Shorts was the definite way to go and I only wore jeans once on that cooler day.

I will definitely be writing in more detail in the TR along with some dining reviews from Mythos, Margaritaville and Confisco so stay tuned! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter