• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Thinking of Renting an RV and Staying at FW

Twin Dad

DIS Dad #704
Next fall we are planning our first family trip to WDW with the kids and both of our mothers. After leaving WDW we plan on heading up the east coast to visit my aunt in New Hampshire before heading back to Minnesota. Last weekend DW threw out the idea of renting an RV and staying at FW instead AoA. I crunched some numbers and it looks like the cost is about a wash. DW is also gluten intolerant so we like the RV as a place to fix meals on the road and for breakfast and not worry about allergy issues. Plus with so many people in a vehicle, having a bathroom right there has its benefits. I also love how many amenities there are at FW. The nightly movie looks like a lot of fun.

There's a few questions I have about FW. How spread out is the camp ground? Is a golf cart necessary and how much for 9 days? I read that transportation can be an issue. How hard is it to get to the theme parks in the morning?

Thanks for your input. :thumbsup2

How spread out is the camp ground?
. . . it is T---H---I---S------W---I---D---E ------ A---N---D------B---I---G
. . . 1-mile from check-in to the Settlement
. . . 3/4-mile side-to-side

Is a golf cart necessary and how much for 9 days?
. . . in my mind, absolutely
. . . the place is huge
. . . you get pretty tired with all the walking

How hard is it to get to the theme parks in the morning?
. . . easy
. . . take the boat or the bus

It is about $65.00 a day for GC rental. You can get and out side vendor for almost half that. You could also bring bicycles.

We had camp there many times and did not once felt like we needed a cart to get around. We were able to walk or just took the internal buses. We rather save that money to use on other things.

It will be a great time for you and your family at the Fort.

We love FW (as do most the people on this board....) and we have never once felt the need to rent a GC. We walk or take the internal busses - no biggie - and our group goes from 2 yr olds to "mature" adults.

MK is a breeze to get to - just hop on a boat. Love it.

Everywhere else is a bus from the front of the campground. Not anymore difficult than AOA.

We had camp there many times and did not once felt like we needed a cart to get around. We were able to walk or just took the internal buses. We rather save that money to use on other things.

It will be a great time for you and your family at the Fort.

:thumbsup2 We've never rented a cart either in 41 years of going at various times. The buses and walking have suited us well.

Depending on who you talk to, some people think they are necessary, or just rather enjoy them, so it has to be your decision. There are a few 6 seaters (more expensive) but you would probably need one of those or 2 - 4 seaters depending on how many children you have.

There are no *one size fits all* answers - a personal family decision - hope y'all have a great time - we always do - just got back from a trip there.

Thanks for the input. We have thought of bringing bikes but the grandmothers wouldn't be too keen with that. I figure we can get by with a four seater considering the kids have skinny butts. Anyone have a recommendation for an outside vendor?

Thanks for the input. We have thought of bringing bikes but the grandmothers wouldn't be too keen with that. I figure we can get by with a four seater considering the kids have skinny butts. Anyone have a recommendation for an outside vendor?

I don't recommend putting more than 4 individuals in a golf cart that is designed for 4 people even if they are small children. There is a guy that is discussed on here named Kenny who is an outside vendor for golf carts and I think I read somewhere that he actually has 6 seater golf carts. Hopefully you can do a search or someone else has the info.

You would need some *small* adults too, to pull that off ;)

Sounds like a great time and a big epic trip, heading up to NH afterwards as well - super fun!

Be careful...you just might end up wanting to buy your own RV after this trip! Especially with a high maintenance eater...we, too, are high maintenance eaters and really love being able to prepare our own meals when we travel now, it just really takes the stress out of travel knowing you have full control of everything in every dish that you eat (for the most part, we do one or two restaurants per trip.) Plus, it is so sweet to be on the road and just pull over nearly anywhere for a potty break in a clean, private bathroom! You will love that with two kididdles!

And just to add to the cart discussion - we've never rented one, nor have my parents who often meet us at the Fort and go fairly frequently on their own. We're bike folks, and what is nice is with bikes you can split up and meet up later and not all have to go to the same place at the same time - DH and my dad go fishing while DS and I head over to the pool while my mom takes the dogs for a walk, then DS and I dry off and go find my dad and DH, then DS talks my dad into going to the arcade, so off they go...and well, you get the point. But I know a lot of people enjoy the carts, so whatever you think will work best for your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter