Thinking of Purchasing Saratoga-Need advice

Sevenwords

Earning My Ears
First a little background for me: I live in CA (hoping to move to FL soon) and I already have DVC membership straight through Disney (my home resort is Aulani). I might be coming into a decent chunk of money soon and I have add-on-itis. I was thinking of buying re-sale for one of the WDW resorts. I've been drawn to Saratoga because the cost per point and dues seem low, the resort looks nice and it is somewhat centrally located (too the east). My wife an I have a little one (just turned 9 months old today actually), and my wife does not have the same "motivation" for the parks that I do. She'll go and have fun, but I keep going when her batteries run out. So one of the draws to me from Saratoga was that it is right next to Disney Springs, for days when I would head to the parks and my wife would stay back.

I have only been to WDW once and during that trip I stayed at Grand Floridian/Contemporary. My only first hand experience with Saratoga was when we took the bus from AK to get to Disney Springs...so it was just walking through the grounds. It looked very nice and all the pictures of rooms I have seen look good. I was thinking of 150 points with an eye on 1 bd Villa every other year. What concerns me, is that looking at resale...there are A LOT of Saratoga re-sales available, so why are people dumping them? Is transportation to the parks typically a pain (looks like the only way is via bus)?

Any advice from locals/Saratoga holders/people with helpful knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Edit: Slight note...as a runner up, I am considering Boardwalk, but I have no experience with that resort. Looks very nice though (If I win the lotto it WILL BE Grand CA/Bay Lake)

Last edited:
I think SSR will always be “over represented” in the resale market because there are 14 million points in play which is about double the next nearest competitor. SSR is the least popular WDW resort but may be gaining due to DS proximity. The multi-building, exterior door layout isn’t popular, and as you point out you must bus to any park.

With all that said, we own all our points there and find many of the same redeeming qualities you mention although we typically stay elsewhere. We bought enough points to book 1BR’s and generally have our choice at 7 months booking mostly BLT LV, AKV SV and BRV/CCV. As you are looking at 1 BR’s you may have similar options and should have 1 BR options at SSR inside of 7 months at other than super high demand periods. How all that may change in the future is still to be seen and I think likely a ways off yet. I think SSR is still a solid buy for the reasons you mention.

I think SSR will always be “over represented” in the resale market because there are 14 million points in play which is about double the next nearest competitor. SSR is the least popular WDW resort but may be gaining due to DS proximity. The multi-building, exterior door layout isn’t popular, and as you point out you must bus to any park.

With all that said, we own all our points there and find many of the same redeeming qualities you mention although we typically stay elsewhere. We bought enough points to book 1BR’s and generally have our choice at 7 months booking mostly BLT LV, AKV SV and BRV/CCV. As you are looking at 1 BR’s you may have similar options and should have 1 BR options at SSR inside of 7 months at other than super high demand periods. How all that may change in the future is still to be seen and I think likely a ways off yet. I think SSR is still a solid buy for the reasons you mention.

With buses being the only mode of transportation provided by Disney, do you find that Buses are super crowded all the time? (or do they have a lot of buses in rotation?) I have to admit, if I felt I already had line fatigue before getting to a park, that might be a no go.

As mentioned loadsnof points due to size. SSR is not the only resort that is bus only. OKW AKL as well. SSR is a love or hate resort. My dd are 8 and 12 and love Ssr due to multi pools close to springs. We use buses all the time and do not have issues. And yes the big plus is you can get more points for your dollar value and mf are some of lowest too.

I wouldn’t worry about the number of SSR resales listed - like PP said, I think it’s really just because the resort itself is almost twice as large as the next biggest.

You can find some more info on the DVC Resorts board:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/are-we-crazy-we-totally-love-saratoga-springs.3753086/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ssr-lovers-and-owners-part-3.3303265/

Boardwalk is fun too, and I love that area, but BWV expires in 2042 vs SSR in 2054, so I don’t know how much that would matter to you.

If you like SSR, I say go for it!

There are lots of threads about SSR that can provide you a great deal of info; use the Search box above to help.
To your specific questions, SSR is a great vacation resort located at a theme park. You could enjoy an SSR vacation and never go to a park: 4 pools (3 themed), fabulous Community Hall, world-class spa, beautiful golf course, and a boat ride/walk to a lovely restaurant/shopping/entertainment district.
SSR is 14 years old and the landscaping is mature and provides shade and coverage for walking, jogging, and wildlife spotting. It is lovely.
SSR is 14 years old and as a result is getting a complete refurbishment starting later this year. There are images available so be sure to check them out. The color themes, Murphy bed, etc., will give the rooms a different feel.
Finally, I would recommend either renting points or using your own to do a short stay to see if it “feels” like home. Given all the restrictions now in play for non-Disney resale, you want to buy where you would be happy to stay should you not be able to stay elsewhere.
Good luck.

Going the route of buying SSR points to stay mostly at other resorts at 7 months is what I had chosen to do two years ago when I first learned about Disney's timeshare. As you've probably seen on these boards, and as others have mentioned, the method works if you're flexible and don't travel during Fall Frenzy (late September to marathon weekend in January).

Now having used the system, booking mostly at 7-months over the last two years, I can say unequivocally that if I could go back in time, I would not choose to go the SSR route. There are those out there who "enjoy the hunt" of getting the room you want at 7-months. Stalking and waitlisting has proven successful (and fun!) for many people. I don't enjoy doing this. It took doing it myself to really understand it to be a level of stress that I don't enjoy when planning a vacation.

We're a family that mostly stayed in 1BRs during the summer, but over our first year of timeshare ownership, we're suddenly planning trips in the fall, early December, trips with family and friends. Our behaviors changed immediately. Relying suddenly on getting a 2BR at BWV puts me into the same race as those hunting studios. Not my idea of a good time. I don't know SSR well enough to know if I would like it there, but I know for me, walking trumps mass transit every time, so BWV beats [insert un-walkable resort here] every time. For your wife, being able to walk back to the resort after you've outlasted her at the parks may also be a bonus? You can stay at SSR easily within 7 months, studios remain available right now at 30 days, so if you owned elsewhere, staying at SSR for trips into DS can be planned for within 7 months most times of the year.

1BR may work for you now, that may change. Booking at 7-months works now, that may change. The only thing the POS states clearly that probably* cannot change is that owners need to be afforded at least 1 month of home booking priority.

I would only recommend SSR as a long term Disney timeshare ownership strategy if you know you like to stay there, or you will never be able to book in the 7-11 month window**.

That said, I'm über type-A. Definitely not a reed in the wind. If you're a reed, you may be perfectly happy with it.

*With the changes to Riviera it appears reversing course on POS language is in fair play, so caveat emptor. Interestingly, the POS explicitly states that none of the Grand Floridian Resort facilities (hotel, restaurant, pools, monorail, etc.) outside of the physical VGF building are guaranteed to be maintained.
**Some argue this would make a Disney timeshare a challenging proposition.

@Sevenwords - My wife and I love SSR more than any other DVC resort (so far... only stayed at six). We own there, and will probably be adding more points in the near future. Many people will point out the negatives: Only bus travel, far from the parks, grounds too spread out, etc. I get it. However it also depends on how you travel. We love SSR because:
  • When you have a car, you can drive right up to your villa where there's almost always a space available for you. With all other DVCs (except OKW), you park in a large central lot and have to find a space, which could mean a long walk to the building. This was especially beneficial when traveling with my parents who can't walk long distances.
  • We do not like the "hotel" feel of the other properties. When at BLT, AKV, BWV etc it's one long interior hallway with unit after unit. I spend enough time at hotels... we like the openness of SSR/OKW.
  • Walking: to DS, or around the grounds.
  • Pools, we personally love the Paddock.
  • Since it's more spread out, it's definitely more quiet.
Most DVC properties are buildings which were added to/renovated from an existing deluxe Disney resort. SSR and OKW are the only WDW properties where this is not the case.

Do I want to stay elsewhere? Of course I would love to try them all out, but I have no objections staying at SSR. We especially look forward to the upcoming renovations this year.

Purchasing SSR resale is one of the most cost effective resorts to purchase at due to its lower MF and price per point. On top of that, with the new full refurbishment expected to be completed in 2020, the resort likely will gain in popularity. I own there but use the 7 months booking window to stay at some of the "nicer" resorts (VGF, CCV, AUL). However, once the refurb is complete I will likely book there.

I personally dislike SSR but that’s mainly because of the buses. I’m sure I’d feel differently if I had a car but 5 stops makes for lengthy bus rides-especially if you are unlucky like I am. I have encountered multiple times where ECV are being loaded and unloaded at the various stops on the same trip. Nothing against those needing to use them but with 5 different places that people get on and off at the resort it can make for long bus rides to and from the parks. I’ve experienced bus drivers having to unload one at my stop, then load one at my stop, then unload another at the next stop (there are usually 2 ECV spots per bus). Some ECV drivers are experienced and are very quick at loading/unloading but many are using ECVs for the first time on their Disney trip and can take a while. Plus since they are loading people at each stop they often have to get off too to get out of the way so the ECV can load/unload and then reboard and get settled again.
At resorts where there is only 1 bus stop they load the ECV(s), everyone else, and then you go on your merry way. Sometimes you share buses with other resorts but even still it generally moves better in my experience than SSR buses.

With buses being the only mode of transportation provided by Disney, do you find that Buses are super crowded all the time? (or do they have a lot of buses in rotation?) I have to admit, if I felt I already had line fatigue before getting to a park, that might be a no go.

Have stayed at Saratoga Springs over 10 times and apart from Christmas Day me and my family have always got a seat, yes on certain special days the buses will be crowded but that's the same for all resorts.

They have a load of buses in rotation and probably the same as other resorts and with the digital displays you know how long your wait will be.

I love there multi building multi door layout at SSR, having stayed at other Disney hotels where there is one entrance in and out and the rooms are all in long hall ways the noise of people and children coming back late and going early wakes me up and staying in the multi building setup means there is less foot traffic past my door.

I also like the fact that when we come back to our room with bags of food and drink I feel I do not get the stares you get when staying in a one entrance resort from staff and guests.

But as you say each to there own.

Somewhere out there on the web is an article that lists the cost effectiveness of each DVC resort. SSR always ranks high (meaning it is cost effective over the life of the contract), but so does BLT, which you mentioned you also liked. Find that article and read it. Above all, buy where you want to stay.

Somewhere out there on the web is an article that lists the cost effectiveness of each DVC resort. SSR always ranks high (meaning it is cost effective over the life of the contract), but so does BLT, which you mentioned you also liked. Find that article and read it. Above all, buy where you want to stay.
For this I would also suggest this thread too. I will say that of course assumes the buyer has 0 interest/value in the home resort priority period and there is no normalization in how long each contract has (i.e. shorter contracts are "cheaper" because they have a lower average annual due when adjusted for inflation). Toward the end you will see a post that sort of highlights what the cost per night for a studio is at each resort assuming booked during the home resort priority period.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/most-economical-resort.3754318/

I bought enough points for 1 beds at SSR. Outside fall frenzy you have your pick of resorts and even most views at 7 months. The constant moans of not being able to book at 7 months mainly relate to studios, and 1 beds are a different beast.
In busier times as long as you are on at 7 months you still have plenty of choices. You will always see AKL, OKW, BWV, BRV and also Beach Club often is there. I did a (planned) split stay this Christmas and New Year for 11 nights from 20 December, Beach Club was always open on the run up for the first 6 nights which I booked no problem, but it went quite quick after 7 months. Boardwalk was wide open a bit longer. For the second half I was toying with BRV or OKW but BLT came up- I maybe got a bit lucky with that one as it’s quite difficult to get that time of year (absolutely zero issues getting a lake view room there outside fall frenzy though). If I didn’t buy SSR I’d buy BLT, but there’s no greenery there or gardens really so it’s a very different beast to the likes of SSR. My 100% first choice would be Boardwalk as the Standard View there (landed one last summer though at 7 months) is incredible value and it’s probably my favourite hotel, but the 24 years left rules it out for me unfortunately.
And remember they’ve started the SSR refurb. I’m putting off staying now until it’s done, but it’ll be one of my favourite resorts when it’s done as the rooms will be fantastic with the Murphy sofas and I like the walking and running opportunities there and the best restaurants on property on the doorstep.
I have zero regrets about doing the 1 bed at SSR to sleep around strategy, it works brilliantly. But we stay in 1 beds anyway, the dues may be a bit high for people otherwise.
I’ve already planned that when the kids leave and we retire, I’ll come over from the U.K. for a month in Feb/ March in a studio to escape the weather. I’ll stay in SSR Standard as that will be perfect for us then, and I’m sure have a few nights here and there on split stays.

Last edited:
With a little one, why not consider a MK Resort with monorail service...including BRV or CCR (a quick boat ride)? Being close to Grand Floridian, Contemporary and the Poly means you can hop on the monorail and wander around those resorts or go to MK. If you have that much energy, you can take the monorail to EPCOT with endless things to see and do. You are a bus ride from Disney Springs.

BWV or BCV is a quick boat ride or 10 minute walk to the International Gateway at EPCOT. Our son fell in love with EPCOT during his first trip at 3 years old and developed a life long love for geography and travel. It is a perfect resort for F & W in the fall and you can get to the Studios by boat...bus ride to MK, AK or the Springs.

My least fave is SSR and we owned and sold. We first bought OKW in 1996 and still love it a the villas are huge - especially the Grand Villa. If you rent a car, you can park almost at your door or you can take a boat to the Springs.

You are doing the right thing to ask for opinions and do a lot of soul searching. I think location more than anything should guide you to a good decision! Good luck!

Just spent a week in a SSR 1-BR at the Grandstand. Loved, loved, loved the resort and it's amenities. Walking to DS via the West Side path was super easy. So much to do at DS, you could spend everyday there - eating, nighttime entertainment, AMC, bowling, etc., etc. Using the boat was a fun alternative. Buses were no problem at all. The points for rooms are very good, and there is an elevator!! Parking upfront beats the BWV and AK Jambo hands down.

However with that being said, our love and home resort remains BLT. 2 bathrooms in the 1 BR!! Walking to MK. Parking is relatively close and doable. MF's are still reasonable. I like the Contempo Cafe over the Artist's Palette (TIW is accepted here though). IMO - BLT has a better location for the Disney Bubble Experience. TOTWL - enough said.

You have a tough choice, good luck. Buy where you want to stay.

Having purchased SSR in December 2006 at $86/point. We have watched our family grow up in the resort. The resort is such a great break from the parks. We have stayed In Studios through the Grand Villa.
We have stayed in the Springs, the Paddock and Congress Park. Have golfed at LBV. We’ve used the meal plan and cooked sometimes during our stay. Watched Disney Springs transformation
We also own in VGF and Poly. So you don’t have the hustle and bustle of the parks at SSR. I agree SSR is the most cost effective resort for your buck. But where you want to buy and for how much is different for everyone. Good luck on your choices

I own at SSR and I like to stay there. We have been able to get into Poly, Beach Club and Boardwalk at 7 month windows( the last trip we took was Easter week and got a 2 bedroom at Boardwalk). If your concern is buses, request The Grandstand as it is the first bus stop in the morning and first bus stop after leaving the parks. We never had a problem getting a seat. Some people buy SSR with no intent to stay there. If you do that and cannot move to another DVC property oh well........you are still at Disney

Did anyone mention the spa at SSR for your non-park living wife? Seems this might be an added bonus if she likes that sort of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter