Thinking of Aulani / Disneyland

PACVII

Future former Disney employee
I am thinking of a trip to Aulani and want to stop off at Disneyland. Traveling from the east coast, do I stop on the way to Hawaii at Disneyland or on the way home? I was thinking of the way home to try and adjust to time zone changes. But, not sure whats best and would appreciate any insight from others that may have done this? Was looking to do 4 day layover either way, just not sure what way to do it?

We are from Seattle and have not done this, but I would go to DL last. We've been to both many times on separate trips. Not only would you have the benefit of less of a time change, it would make the flight home less taxing and you would get the opportunity to have the most Disney part of the trip last. I don't know if you'll be going with children, but they might be so amped by the thrills of DLR that they might not appreciate the lovely, but lower key, Disney atmosphere of Aulani. The only way I'd do DLR first is if crowd levels at DLR are predicted to be much lower on the first 4 days of the trip.

Thanks! Thinking more and more that stopping on the way home it best.

I'd personally do it first. Disney can be an exhausting trip with lots of walking and doing. I feel like Hawaii is more of a laid back vacation. If you go to Disneyland first you can then relax at the beaches of Hawaii.

We are doing it on the way back but this is because we are from the UK and it will help us readjust to time difference and also lay over times aren't great on the way back so it solves that problem.

I'd personally do it first. Disney can be an exhausting trip with lots of walking and doing. I feel like Hawaii is more of a laid back vacation. If you go to Disneyland first you can then relax at the beaches of Hawaii.

You don't vacation with my friend! We were exhausted by our time in Hawaii (actually, we were exhausted after a few days in DL with her too - honestly, that woman never stops moving :crazy2:). It all depends on how you tour and whether you stay on the beach or go and do more more touring. Our time at DL was long and lots of walking. Our time in Hawaii alternated day by day from lots of walking (Pearl Harbor, Volcano National Park, Dole Plantation/North Shore) and lazy river/beach. So it wouldn't make much difference which we had done first. I needed a vacation from the vacation when I got home (even though it was a totally awesome time).

Was looking to do 4 day layover either way, just not sure what way to do it?

We chose to stop in DL on the way to Hawaii (we came from Toronto, our friends from Tampa) for 4 days (one day we spent at Universal Hollywood), then onto Aulani for 8 days and went direct home from Hawaii. Our rationale for that was largely based on flight times and best dates for hotels rather than on a preference for before or after or on which was likely to be the most tiring. You might want to investigate that too before making a decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter