Thinking of a mini trip three night deluxe hotel stay at AKL -- Crazy??

kathy884

DIS Veteran
As we are getting ready to go on vacation for spring break this year -- a week in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, I'm already thinking about next year's spring break.

My budget for everything is usually about $5000 with a little flexibility to up a bit if need be. I can do lots of great places for a full week with that. And actually I've done many budget Orlando trips for way less than that for a week (actually bunking up with relatives, flying with freebie mile, relatives driving us around, and just a theme park every other day, etc. I've done a week in Orlando for $1500 lol).

I've thinking though of doing some pretty pricey things this time and just doing a three night stay with some interesting tours that aren't exactly on my bucket list or anything like that, but sound pretty fun and cool to do. Note: I'm not exactly needing extra days in Orlando. I've been down about 40 times since 1971 when WDW opened, and am burned out on / not really interested in the standard parks and activities. It would be either two or three of us. My son, 19 who is in college would come, and DH 60 might come too (He's not a big fan of theme parks, though, so may do the tours which sound interesting to him and then go back to the resort and hang out.

Anyway, I'd get one of the queen / bunk bed pool view rooms at AKL -- would love Savannah view, but just too pricey. Don't want parking lot or roof view, so would be willing to spend a little extra for pool view which DS would like. Can probably get some sort of room discount, but not anything too huge with it being March and spring break. I notice for this year for example, a 25% discount. I've always loved the theming of this resort / thought it would be cool to stay here and don't see myself ever getting to Africa for real -- pricey air and longer trip than I'd like to do and concerns about mosquitoes. It's the one deluxe resort that appeals to me that I'd like to stay in. Only deluxe I've done before is Contemporary -- enjoyed that a few time, with usually three free nights for seminar for DH and one extra we'd pay for. Usually with my own dollars I rent a nice offsite two bedroom/two bath condo at a timeshare resort from an owner for $1000 or under for the whole week.

Day 1 -- Wild Africa Trek -- pricey (especially given then we have to add the $100 or so admission to AK too, but looks like fun). Will probably run $249 pp given that it's spring break on top of that AK admission, meaning $350 pp plus tax. Is there another tour that resort guests can do also?? // If yes, what's that one like and which of the two would you recommend? // balance of day at AK and then at resort

Day 2 -- Magic Kingdom with Keys to the Kingdom tour ($100 pp admission and $79 pp tour) -- balance of day with me and DS at the MK -- DH would go back to resort (read/relax).

Anyway, I'm just not up for a lot of theme park time, but this plan would give DS a little of this and small enough doses for me, so that I'd actually enjoy the minimal theme park time. These tours sound really neat, and everyone in the family would enjoy these.

Feels a bit pricey and extravagant -- room and tours, as I usually do a very economical offsite condo and just regular admission to a few parks, but just going for three nights puts this all in the budget with wiggle room too.

Would love to hear your thought? Has anyone done these activities or a mini trip like this and if so what did you think?

Our summer trip too will be out to Colorado for a whole week, so it's not like all year and we'll just do this one little get-a-way.

Any thoughts/comments??

We have stayed at AkL with both a savannah & standard view. Most recent was the standard, none of us missed the savannah view (dh & ds 22). We had lots of downtime at the resort but we spent time around the pool, hot tub, viewing areas. If we were in the room we were usually relaxing on the beds-not on the balcony. Were going again for a quick trip next month & have booked standard view.
We've done the parks so often-so a trip like your sounds appealing. This trip we might do 1.5 days in the park (and I have a ap) but it's going to be more if a relaxing, pool time, shopping, dining trip :)
We have done the Wild by Design tour & keys to the kingdom tour, both were great and a nice switch up from the usual!
Sounds like u have a good plan :)

We have stayed at AkL with both a savannah & standard view. Most recent was the standard, none of us missed the savannah view (dh & ds 22). We had lots of downtime at the resort but we spent time around the pool, hot tub, viewing areas. If we were in the room we were usually relaxing on the beds-not on the balcony. Were going again for a quick trip next month & have booked standard view.
We've done the parks so often-so a trip like your sounds appealing. This trip we might do 1.5 days in the park (and I have a ap) but it's going to be more if a relaxing, pool time, shopping, dining trip :)
We have done the Wild by Design tour & keys to the kingdom tour, both were great and a nice switch up from the usual!
Sounds like u have a good plan :)
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Nice to hear a big thumbs up for the resort and the tours. Your next trip sounds awesome.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

We go to Disney 2 or 3 times a year, so we usually only stay 4 nights. We love the boardwalk area resorts, but we are going to AKL for the first time in April and decided to make this trip more about the resort than the parks. We will probably skip DHS this time. The Flower & Garden Festival is at EPCOT during our stay, so we will probably spend at least a day and a half if not more there. We are doing the Jiko wine tasting and hope to take one of the culinary tours at AKL. We have taken the Behind The Seeds Tour at Epcot (twice) and the Backstage Safari Tour, on previous trips, both were excellent. I also want to take the Keys to the Kingdom tour, don't know if we will do it on this trip or not.

We booked a pool view at AKL, hoping maybe to see the animals from the restaurants or the lobby. We thought it was a good compromise, not wanting to look at the parking lot, but not paying for a savannah view.

Never pay for a view at any wdw hotel...unless heavily discounted on a promo.

That holds true any hotel

I can make a strong case for all being the best hotel...notably the pool areas and the fact that boma, Jiko, and Sanaa offer you something different than the assembly line restaurant all over property now...

Yacht club is also a favorite... As is wilderness lodge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter