Thinking about purchasing

Along0428

Earning My Ears
Hey all, I’ve been thinking of purchase dvc resale for this first time. I am having a really difficult time choosing which resort. I wanted any advice you might have. I am looking for “budget” dvc lol so no $50,000 contracts. I will just pay cash. I also want something that I’m not going to lose money on so no vero beach and probably not OKW. What is the most affordable/best option? Is the lower OKW price point worth it? It is just my son and me so we do not need a ton of points. He is 5 so I like to keep transportation to and from the parks as easy as possible. I like animal kingdom but it is so far from the other parks and transportation is also terrible. How difficult is it to use points for 1-3 nights at another resort closer to magic kingdom 7 months out and split our trips between two resorts? Is that allowed? Also, when we have rented points the cleaning crew did not come at all and I prefer daily service. Do you have to spend points for that? Also I love riviera but have not stayed there, just visited last time we were there. It seems so far from magic kingdom???? Here is what I’m considering: animal kingdom, poly, blt, riviera, copper creek(seems hard to find resale), boulder creek.

If your goal is cost efficiency, you can't beat SSR, especially at current pricing. Wow.

BUT SSR will struggle to book some categories/peak times at 7 months. We have no idea when you are traveling or what you are booking. DVC very much has some times and rooms that are difficult to book. If you are going for Jersey Week or Christmas or something, you need home resort priority. My other choice would be BLT, which I think is underpriced for its wonderful chart. I think it has room to grow and less points required makes your points go further.

I would never buy OKW over SSR. unless your goal is the OKW 3 BR suite. OKW is overpriced on the resale market because DVC buys back a lot of it and extends it, which you can't do.

There is no daily housekeeping. If you want that, you need to stay at a hotel, not a timeshare. You used to be able to pay cash for it, but Covid has messed that up. Even then, I don't think you could pay for daily service. You could move every couple days for the same effect, like I do. If this is a dealbreaker for you, DVC might not be for you.

Last edited:
You didn't mention WHEN you plan to visit WDW?

If you plan on visiting during the less busy months like, spring and summer which means May, June, July and August, then I would buy SSR. SSR is very cost effective compared to others. I recently bought 160 points, with most 2022 included and all 2023 points, and paid $81 pp, this was for the sole purpose of booking other resorts.

Going forward the month of May might become more difficult to book because it's one of the cheapest months to book.

SSR is at least in my book good for SAP (Sleep around points) and if you are able to use them at other resorts you actually get a book bang for your buck.

If you however plan to visit during fall frenzy which is Sept - Dec, then you might find it difficult to book somewhere else. Its not impossible but I think it require more work and more flexibility. Januar - April can be difficult if you want to go during the holidays or race times but otherwise you should have more than a decent chance of getting rooms at most resorts.

Studios at Beach club are always in high demand during the 7 month window but it can be done. But Values and club level at Animal Kingdom are very difficult to get, at least if you expect to get more than 1 day

Hey all, I’ve been thinking of purchase dvc resale for this first time. I am having a really difficult time choosing which resort. I wanted any advice you might have. I am looking for “budget” dvc lol so no $50,000 contracts. I will just pay cash. I also want something that I’m not going to lose money on so no vero beach and probably not OKW. What is the most affordable/best option? Is the lower OKW price point worth it? It is just my son and me so we do not need a ton of points. He is 5 so I like to keep transportation to and from the parks as easy as possible. I like animal kingdom but it is so far from the other parks and transportation is also terrible. How difficult is it to use points for 1-3 nights at another resort closer to magic kingdom 7 months out and split our trips between two resorts? Is that allowed? Also, when we have rented points the cleaning crew did not come at all and I prefer daily service. Do you have to spend points for that? Also I love riviera but have not stayed there, just visited last time we were there. It seems so far from magic kingdom???? Here is what I’m considering: animal kingdom, poly, blt, riviera, copper creek(seems hard to find resale), boulder creek.
When and where is key. Can you look back at your past few vacations and see what points you would need and how early you planned them? For a kid that age you (me too!) are looking at going around school breaks which require more points and earlier planning as competition is fierce (we will literally be competing you and I!). If you can commit to that 11 month planning for your days then you can look at the points you need and see if it fits your budget.

I would not buy at a resort you never stayed at or at least visited. Sure many have done it and are very happy but the commitment in dollars and time (up to 40 years) and shrinking availability, you really want to own at somewhere you like if not love. What is the point of spending all that money and be force to stay at a place you don't like for vacation? You really would want to book at 11 month then try to modify at 7 so there is possibility you are "stuck" at your home resort.

Daily service is not part of dvc but you can pay for it (subject to availability). MK is further but not terribly so and as your boy grows, he might want to spend more time at HS so location while important can change over time. I prefer the monorail resorts but that is just me.

I think you are doing the right thing by asking alot of questions and working through your though process. Best of luck to you and your decision and many years of magical (dvc or non dvc) vacations for you and your kid for years to come!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter