• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking about getting APs for my my wife and myself.

jwblane

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are considering getting an AP for each of us. We are eligible for the Southern California Select Passport. We have studied the Disneyland AP page for benefits of each of the passes available. Is there a thread on the boards we should read too, or a good site to reference when making our final decision?

Thanks in advance!

If you are considering SoCal Select, I wouldn’t buy it now because that pass is about to be blocked out of Disneyland completely until the first week of September.

When do you envision visiting the parks (what days of the week, what times of year) and how frequently do you think you might go?

• Check the block out calendar. Blockouts will officially be park specific on June 1. Make sure you are able to use the dates it is open. The people I know with this pass rarely go because they didn't realize that their work schedules conflict with it. You can always upgrade, but you have to pay the entire amount to upgrade...which can be expensive depending on which pass you decide to upgrade to.
  • @SOCALMouseMommy point is good. That pass is blocked out of both parks until September. So I would wait to purchase...UNLESS you want to buy both in full now, and hold onto the vouchers. When you come in September, you can activate the vouchers in the park. This can help you stay safe from any price increases.
  • Look at potentially adding maxpass. It is $100 but it's great. Saves so much time. If you add it, make sure you utilize it. There are so many passholders out there who either don't use it because they don't understand the value of it..or they do have it, and use it wrong lol. Look at @Skyegirl1999 thread on it (https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/)
  • Where in Socal do you live? If you local enough to drive in, great. If you live a little farther and have to get a hotel, factor those costs in as well with your pass.

If you are considering SoCal Select, I wouldn’t buy it now because that pass is about to be blocked out of Disneyland completely until the first week of September.

When do you envision visiting the parks (what days of the week, what times of year) and how frequently do you think you might go?
Agree completely, won’t be buying yet unless price hikes are expected between now and then. We actually aren’t planning our next trip until just after Labor Day.

• Check the block out calendar. Blockouts will officially be park specific on June 1. Make sure you are able to use the dates it is open. The people I know with this pass rarely go because they didn't realize that their work schedules conflict with it. You can always upgrade, but you have to pay the entire amount to upgrade...which can be expensive depending on which pass you decide to upgrade to.
  • @SOCALMouseMommy point is good. That pass is blocked out of both parks until September. So I would wait to purchase...UNLESS you want to buy both in full now, and hold onto the vouchers. When you come in September, you can activate the vouchers in the park. This can help you stay safe from any price increases.
  • Look at potentially adding maxpass. It is $100 but it's great. Saves so much time. If you add it, make sure you utilize it. There are so many passholders out there who either don't use it because they don't understand the value of it..or they do have it, and use it wrong lol. Look at @Skyegirl1999 thread on it (https://www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/)
  • Where in Socal do you live? If you local enough to drive in, great. If you live a little farther and have to get a hotel, factor those costs in as well with your pass.
Max pass is a must. Will be getting that no matter what pass we get. We are about 3.5 to 4 hour drive. Our work requires a lot of travel, so IHG rewards nights will be redeemed for our trips. But the pass holder discounts on hotels are something we will be considering from time to time.

Also if you're gonna buy an AP, regardless which one, i would pick a day or weekend where APs are blocked out and buy a day ticket to the park, then roll that ticket into an AP. That way you get the extra value of being in the park a couple days during the block out dates. Some of those block out dates end up very light on crowds.

My wife and I are considering getting an AP for each of us. We are eligible for the Southern California Select Passport. We have studied the Disneyland AP page for benefits of each of the passes available. Is there a thread on the boards we should read too, or a good site to reference when making our final decision?

Thanks in advance!
Have you read through this very recent thread: News: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility? Just to make sure that this won't be a better deal for you than the SoCal Select pass. Also, there are rumors swirling that Disney is going to phase out the SoCal Select pass level, so keep that in mind. You'll be able to use and enjoy your full year at least, but if you decide to renew, the AP structure might be different at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter