Thinking about canceling our DDP for our trip in october..

mom2my3kids

DIS VETERAN
We were talking last night and my husband really does not believe we could eat that much food. He said we could probably come even but its to much time in the restaraunts.. I don't know I was all for it and now I am think maybe we should just pay OOP. Anyone else have this problem..

Spend some time looking at menus and do the math. One of the big advantages to us was the fact that everything was paid for when we got there, and no "sticker shock" for meals and snacks. If it makes your vacation more miserable to worry about if you are getting the biggest bang for your buck, give it a miss.

It would be hard for us too. We're with the August group, so I don't have to think about it now, but I will in the future.

You are paying a little under $1000 for the DDP? (that's if all 3 kids are not considered adults, maybe you have more adults?)

Have you gone through the menus to see what you would order if you weren't on the dining plan? Do about three days and see how much you get to, include the snacks, bottled water.

There's no question the plan is great for kids.........$10.99 a day for two meals and a snack? CHEAP! :teeth: But the adults.........that's cheap to if you are really going to order all that food, but chances are you won't. That's where it's a little iffy.

We loved the DDP. You only spend one meal a day at a sit-down restaurant, and it is much more enjoyable to wait for your food at a table rather than standing in line. Believe me, you will be waiting just as long for your food at a counter-service restaurant as you would in the sit-down restaurant and you will have to stand the whole time. Not easy with kids. (Even standing in line for things like Dole Whips or Mickey Ears took at least 10 minutes)

As for there being too much food on the DDP, the appetizers normally include salad or soup. There is no reason you have to order a heaping plate of nachos. And who doesn't love dessert when on vacation! :thumbsup2

Anyone else have this problem..
We do. We only eat at most 2 TS every 3 days, and several of our TS are less expensive (character meals, etc.) so it works out better for us to just pay as we go.

It really depends on where/how your family likes to eat. If you do one TS per day, it is a good deal. The cheapest TS is the character dinner--cost is $28 + tax + tip = $35 ish. The DDP is $38...so if you eat anything else all day, you have your value out of the DDP. If you eat at more upscale restaurants, it becomes a better deal.

If you don't do a TS essentially every day, it may not be a good deal for you. I know that we spent more on the plan than I normally spend on food. However, I enjoyed not worrying about cost, going to more costly places, etc...so I still considered it a good deal.

I kinda went over the menus and eating for 4 days plus snacks for the 4 days..
Here are the places i put down.. Beaches and Cream, Lecellier for lunch, pizza planet, pop century food court,Tuskar House, 50's prime Time Cafe, Abc Comm, Cosmic Rays and 4 snacks at places like Boardwalk Baker, Kringla Bakery, popcorn stand, turkey legs. Total with spliting between my two children and really no deserts (we really are no desert eaters) was 370.00 compared to 498.00 DDP. Now we would be eating more at Counter Service and only 3 table service meals.. Decisions Decisions...

We probably will stick with the DDP, I don't want to give up Ohana and Lecellier sooooooo...lol Those alone are 250.00..

I'm figuring that the TS meal will be part of our daily 'down time' I'll be traveling with my kids (5 and 2) and my mother who will use an ECV due to herniated disks. I know we will need time to just sit, eat, and relax, so it made sense to get the DDP. I figure worst case we only break even on the plan and best case we save money. Either way we will be eating better and more relaxed the entire time and not have to worry about carrying money around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter