Think we can fix this budget buster - tent!

What difference should it make if I return it now, or last year? And I didn't even want to return it, I wanted to exchange it for the same item, which they have on the shelf, the same thing I would've done a year ago. :confused3 It's obviously brand new, and the tent has never been taken out of the bag, and obviously factory packed. They know it came from Target, because Target was the only store selling these tents.

How many people on the board are done Christmas shopping by the time summer rolls around. Should they open and assemble everything?

It makes a huge difference.

Target's return policy is clear. They will accept returns and exchanges for 90 days....three months. That's more than enough time to determine if an item is defective and/or is missing parts. Doesn't matter that all you wanted to do is exchange it. Their policy is crystal clear: 90 days. If you don't like it, don't shop there. To be upset that they won't change their stated policy for you is not their fault.

People who do their Christmas shopping that early are gambling that everything will be fine. Yes...GAMBLING...taking the chance...because store return policies are clear. They do indeed run the risk of missing or defective parts by shopping that early and not checking, and they SHOULD be denied a refund or exchange by the store if its outside of their stated return period. If you're going to shop that early then by gosh you better be sure you have everything and know it works, because you're going to have a very hard time resolving things 6-8-10 months later.

id look on ebay or a tent place. there has to be pole someplace. I got my tent from LLBEAN and they have the BEST return policy ever.

What difference should it make if I return it now, or last year? And I didn't even want to return it, I wanted to exchange it for the same item, which they have on the shelf, the same thing I would've done a year ago. :confused3 It's obviously brand new, and the tent has never been taken out of the bag, and obviously factory packed. They know it came from Target, because Target was the only store selling these tents.

The difference is that Target clearly states what the return policy is on each and every receipt. You agreed to it when you made the purchase. It was your responsibility to make sure the tent was ok before your receipt expired.

And even though they carry the same tent, it most likely will have a different UPC code on it this year, so doing what you want to do won't work.

People who play games with returns are the reason stores are so strict with their return policies.

Coleman typically has a 1 year warranty on their products sold through Target. So they should have replacement parts still available at this point in my eyes. I don't fault Target for not allowing the return - a year is a bit much to expect - but I do fault Coleman for their lack of quality control and customer service. I would call them back and push them for a resolution - they produced a defective product, they should take responsibility for that. And I don't care that it has been a year - the defect was clearly there from the beginning, and wasn't something that developed only after significant use, so they should address it.

We didn't use the tent until now. How many people buy something to use later, and open it to make sure all the parts are there? Maybe we're too trusting? Why should we be out the $ for a product that is defective? We don't camp often, and the weekend we planned to camp called for rain, so we left the tent at home, and didn't need it again until this year. Coleman, who had a contract with Target, provided at product that was defective (since a tent is useless without poles). In fact, I think Target is wrong having a discontinued product on the shelves, because you can't get replacement parts for them.

It does NOT change the fact that the warranty and Target's return policy have both expired. I know all too many people who do in fact check to make sure the parts are there. even if the item is not used immediately.

Mistakes happen during packaging of products thus it is the consumer's responsibility to ensure that all items are in the package during the period for returns. I am sorry that you did not do this and now you are out. Also, the tent Target has on the shelves is not necessarily the exact same that you purchased last year. The poles could be made differently, etc.

:scared1: I'm amazed at all the perfect people on this thread. I guess I'm a horrible person because I have sleeping bag new in the box thats 3 years old. Did I take it out and inspect it? NO!!! It is a PITA to re-pack a sleeping bag as tight as it is new in the box. A tent is no easier. I guess I should pray to the sleeping bag gods to forgive me.

OP I would have done the same thing as you if Target and Coleman would not help you resolve the issue. And I don't see how Target will be out any money as the OP has clearly stated they have the same tent on the shelf now. THey will send it back to Coleman as defective and be compensated.

:scared1: I'm amazed at all the perfect people on this thread. I guess I'm a horrible person because I have sleeping bag new in the box thats 3 years old. Did I take it out and inspect it? NO!!! It is a PITA to re-pack a sleeping bag as tight as it is new in the box. A tent is no easier. I guess I should pray to the sleeping bag gods to forgive me.

OP I would have done the same thing as you if Target and Coleman would not help you resolve the issue. And I don't see how Target will be out any money as the OP has clearly stated they have the same tent on the shelf now. THey will send it back to Coleman as defective and be compensated.

I don't think anyone here has claimed to be perfect. But, speaking for myself, I can say I have never plotted to scam a store because I didn't agree with their return policy.

Tents are a PITA to repack, but you do have to repack them. You can't use them in the box, so it would have to come out of the box at some point.

Again, Target has a very clear return policy. Don't like it? Don't shop at Target. Problem solved.

As for your situation, there were indeed other remedies. Did you call the manufacturer? Most are quite willing to help when you can prove that it is a recent purchase, and even without the packaging I suspect that with a receipt showing the UPC code they would have been more than happy to help. Why? Because I've done it before. Toys purchased at Christmas that either are missing parts or have parts that break shortly after...all I've done is call the toll-free number, explain the problem, and have had NO issues getting replacements.
I'm sorry if I came off like an idiot in my previous post...I am quite aware of the other options available to me, but being as the item was about a week old, and given that the "packaging" consisted of a nylon strap/harness with a hang-tag on it, I don't feel like asking Target to replace the defective item was out of the realm of reason. Seriously, the packaging was about 18 inches of nylon webbing and a hang tag. Who saves that stuff?!

Coleman typically has a 1 year warranty on their products sold through Target. So they should have replacement parts still available at this point in my eyes. I don't fault Target for not allowing the return - a year is a bit much to expect - but I do fault Coleman for their lack of quality control and customer service. I would call them back and push them for a resolution - they produced a defective product, they should take responsibility for that. And I don't care that it has been a year - the defect was clearly there from the beginning, and wasn't something that developed only after significant use, so they should address it.

Coleman told me they don't have any poles for that tent, and to contact Target. Yes, it is the same exact tent model. I bought the tent from Target, not Coleman. Target can address it with Coleman - I can't. Again, I feel no guilt in returning the poleless tent, and hope that Target doesn't put it back on the shelf. I payed a lot of money for a new tent, and a new tent I am getting.

There are SO many situations where one wouldn't open the box until later - buying a christmas tree the day after christmas, baby equipment received at showers... If I found a shirt hanging in my closet with tags, that I never wore, I'd never think to return it. When I purchased the tent, I had good faith in Target that the bag contained all of the parts necessary for use.

Call or email customer service. You would be surprised at the response you will get.
I tried to take a shirt back to a department store after I washed it because it was about 12 long and 40 inches wide, It had never been worn I had the receipt. They said no because it had been washed. So I got on line to the dept. store, and the label. The following week the store manager call me to ask me to please return to the store so that he could take a look. They refunded my money. About a week after that I received an email from the label it requested more info about the garment. Then I received a phone call from the buyer who went into great length to find out what happened, how I washed it, description of the garment. About a month later I received, 1 pair of pants, 1 pair of shorts, and 3 tops at no charge. I was stunned. I never expect to receive anything like this. I did write her a thank you note. She said that I was helpful and that she wanted to keep me as a customer. That's why I always buy Caribbean Joe clothing. Try it what can it hurt.

We didn't use the tent until now. How many people buy something to use later, and open it to make sure all the parts are there? Maybe we're too trusting? Why should we be out the $ for a product that is defective? We don't camp often, and the weekend we planned to camp called for rain, so we left the tent at home, and didn't need it again until this year. Coleman, who had a contract with Target, provided at product that was defective (since a tent is useless without poles). In fact, I think Target is wrong having a discontinued product on the shelves, because you can't get replacement parts for them.

You know what I would do? I would go ahead and buy the new tent - BUT - I would also keep the old tent.. Odds are that parts of the "tent" will wear out (rip; tear; mold; etc.) long before the poles would ever wear out or snap, so you would still have another "new" tent on hand and the poles to go with it..:goodvibes

I agree with the others that you really shouldn't do a "switch" - something about that just doesn't seem right to me - and it's not really Target's fault or Coleman's fault that you didn't check out the tent as soon as you purchased it.. What if there was a rib in it - or a broken zipper? Would you still try to return it a year later?

Look on the bright side - now you can have a tent and a spare! :thumbsup2

Just thinking - Any chance the poles are rolled inside the packaged tent? (It's a long shot - but it would make sense from a packaging/shipping point of view.)

FWIW - I think the problem is with Coleman. Since Coleman referred you back to Target, and Target said, "tough beans," I would go back to Coleman and ask for a supervisor.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all that the tent was not "inspected," by the OP, and I think if Target has the same tent on sale and won't do an even exchange, that is poor service - but that is their well known policy.

I don't think you should do the switcheroo - seems like that is just asking for bad Karma - but I would certainly continue to pursue it, since the tent is still in it's original packing.

Good luck -

Maddle

i guess call me crazy, but a tent i purchased at target didn't get opened for nearly two years later. And the first tent wasn't set up till we were at disney, in the dark no less.

i bought one tent on clearance, and it has lasted us a long time now. Shortly after, i purchased a second tent on clearance to use for my mom. Well that trip never worked out. And then a few years down the line, my sis said she wanted to let the kids go camping. So i get the tent out, head over to disney to check in. It was an early check in, and we had ressies for canada. So i dropped the tent and a couple things from the back end off at the site, but no time to put it up. When we got back, everything was missing from the site, tent and all. I was livid, and disney did nothing about it. But thankfully we had the original tent and my sis bailed for a hotel room. So i never even got to open the box. Like i said before, i set up the big tent on my own at dusk.

I don't see the OP in the wrong. But having a spare tent could help a lot later.

OP is there a warranty on the tent? If there is a one year warranty, I wonder how Coleman would honor that if something was wrong with the poles within the warranty period? They must have a way even though the tent is discontinued.

Like someone else mentioned I would be surprised if the Target UPC codes were the same on last year's tent and this year's model, even though it is the same tent, kwim?

Let us know what happens...if you dare ;)

I bought a $140 Coleman tent a year ago, to camp. It was a little rainy when we went, so we all squeezed into a cabin, instead of splitting up. It's time for our annual trip, and we only have a small cabin, so need the tent. DH takes it out to set it up in our yard - no poles! I call Coleman, and they tell me they were made exclusively for Target, and have been discontinued, so they don't even have poles.

Go to Target, and they no longer have our credit card information, since it was a year ago. However, they're still selling these tents, but we can't exchange. :confused: So, we buy the tent, and will be returning the one with no poles with that receipt, and letting them know the reason for the return is the lack of poles.

I'll make sure to take care of those poles, since they can't be replaced!

OP on the Coleman website they sell what they call "universal replacement poles"--maybe they could send you some of those.

OP is there a warranty on the tent? If there is a one year warranty, I wonder how Coleman would honor that if something was wrong with the poles within the warranty period? They must have a way even though the tent is discontinued.
They do - there's a replacement pole kit you can purchase from Coleman (and probably other places) as well as a pole repair kit. In the replacement kit, the poles are universal and meant to work with any Coleman tent. There are instructions with the kit on how to cut universal poles to fit your particular tent.

The OP could buy the replacement pole kit and consider this the price paid for not checking out the purchase during the return period.

Hope you enjoy your tent OP

Just did a quick search and Walmart offers the replacement pole kit for $6.88. Think a kit includes 4 poles, don't know how many poles the OP's tent requires.

That's not a bad price. Suspect there are several other places that have these poles so this could be an easy fix if you were so inclined to go this direction.

OP here - we are going camping in one week. The CPU number on the poleless tent is exactly the same as the one we just bought (could've been the same exact tent we would've exchanged for last year if it didn't rain - since we weren't using the tent, it was put in the attic, and forgotten until now). I would never have purchased the new one, without planning on replacing the old one, knowing that it has been discontinued, and there are no replacement parts. The reason we bought a new tent last year is because the poles broke on the old one, and we couldn't get in touch with the manufacturer (so I bought a brand that I recognized, hoping for better customer service).

Thank you all for your suggestions, but I really don't have the time to order generic poles, hope they arrive by Thursday, and that we can cut them to fit the tent. Really, we aren't campers, and although DH tries, projects like this tend to come out less than perfect.

Not to unnecessarily push this approach, but you should be able to walk into a decent sized Walmart and get replacement poles. REI or a camping supply type store would also have these, you shouldn't generally need to order them. People need replacement poles all the time and they're not terribly difficult to get.

Many have learned through sad experience :rolleyes1 to take at least a pole repair kit with them

OP here - we are going camping in one week. Really, we aren't campers, and although DH tries, projects like this tend to come out less than perfect.

Since you are camping next week, you need to seal your tent in the next day or so.

When you buy a new tent the seams aren't sealed. If you use this tent without sealing the seams they will become wicks that allow water to seep into the tent. It doesn't have to rain for this to occur. Morning dew will have the same consequence. You can waterproof the tent seams very easily.

* Buy a bottle of seam sealer for a few dollars at a sporting goods store.
* Set your tent up outdoors on a dry sunny day.
* The seam sealer comes in a bottle with an applicator top. Shake the bottle, open the cap, and apply seam sealer to all threads (inside and out) while the tent is erected.
* Allow the sealer to dry for a few hours.
* Repeat the application, and allow the seams to dry thoroughly.
* Don't forget to also seal the seams on your rain fly.

This process accomplishes two tasks. Not only does it help to waterproof your tent, but it gives you a chance to learn how to set it up. Never go camping with a new tent that has not been seam sealed, and which you have not practiced setting up. If you tent camp a lot, it's a good idea to reseal the seams every year.

Quality tents (aka very expensive ones) come with seams that are factory taped, which is not the same as sealed. Taped seams have a waterproof material placed between overlapped seams, which are then double stitched. This sewing technique adds to the strength of the seam and helps eliminate any gaps when the tent is stretched. These seams will be more water-resistant than normal seams, but they are not water-proof. The seams should still be sealed to ensure the best water-proof protection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter