Think I am going to do Boma instead of Jiko

IMHO, Signature restaurants are not worth 2 credits without the appetizers. In fact I don't understand why Disney doesn't get this and add back appetizers just for Signature. Given that you are using 2 credits it would be fair.

And I don't agree with people with people who say Boma is a good buffet. IMHO, it is hands down the absolute best buffet on the planet. My wife is not a buffet fan but she insists on eating at Boma every trip. Sure Jiko is good but you can't get Bobotie there.:worship:

As long as you're expectations for Boma are modest, I think you'll be okay. I think of it as an ethic Applebees in terms of quality.

While BOMA is certainly not Jiko, I don't think it is at all fair to call it "Applebee's". While it is a buffet, all of the food is very freshly prepared, and you will be very hard pressed to find any better soup in the world! BOMA is by far our favorite place to eat in Disney (except for the chef's table at Victoria & Albert's, but unfortunately that is not really feasible every year). If you are on the dining plan, I really don't see the value in using 2 sit down credits for Jiko...if you are paying cash or TIW, then it is a more difficult decision.... You will not be disappointed in BOMA!!!

IMHO, Signature restaurants are not worth 2 credits without the appetizers. In fact I don't understand why Disney doesn't get this and add back appetizers just for Signature. Given that you are using 2 credits it would be fair.

And I don't agree with people with people who say Boma is a good buffet. IMHO, it is hands down the absolute best buffet on the planet. My wife is not a buffet fan but she insists on eating at Boma every trip. Sure Jiko is good but you can't get Bobotie there.:worship:

I agree. I have eaten at Boma....it is really great food.

Also, I would have done Jiko for 2 credits if it included salad/apps, but without it.....they can $%#&& it!:teacher:

While BOMA is certainly not Jiko, I don't think it is at all fair to call it "Applebee's". While it is a buffet, all of the food is very freshly prepared, and you will be very hard pressed to find any better soup in the world! BOMA is by far our favorite place to eat in Disney (except for the chef's table at Victoria & Albert's, but unfortunately that is not really feasible every year). If you are on the dining plan, I really don't see the value in using 2 sit down credits for Jiko...if you are paying cash or TIW, then it is a more difficult decision.... You will not be disappointed in BOMA!!!

I agree with you. Either some here are food snots, or they have a chip on their shoulder. :rolleyes:

I think you meant food "snobs" (or perhaps "snoots"?) :rolleyes: The proper term is "foodies". Calling people "snobs" (or "snoots" or "snots") is akin to them calling you by some disparaging reference that I'm sure you wouldn't care for.

Regardless, minus that unnecessary negative connotations that you were implying, what you're alluding to is absolutely a valid way of looking at this, that some people are looking for a culinary experience, while other people are just looking for something interesting and yummy to eat.

The point many of us made is that Jiko and Boma are not, in any way, comparable to each other. That was the main point. Jiko is a fine dining experience, one of the best at WDW. Every meal is conscientiously prepared under the direct supervision of a chef, who is performing culinary artistry. By comparison, Boma is a buffet, with dishes made from formulas, in huge batches, and dished out in a cafeteria arrangement. It isn't bad... I don't think anyone said it was. (I liked Applebee's quite a lot, back when I was eating animals.) Boma is, however, aimed at feeding the masses, and that does involve a lot of compromises vis a vis how that same food could/would be presented in a fine dining situation.

There are better 1 TS eateries than Boma, and I hazard to say that Tusker House does something very similar to what Boma does, and Tusker House does it better.

We will be eating at JIKO for the 1st time this upcoming trip because
I am grossed out by Buffets. I havn't ate at Boma yet, but don't have a desire.

If you like buffets I'm sure you will be OK with Boma.
I'm also not one who likes to eat an appetizer because it makes me to full. You've never tried Jikos
so you wouldn't have anything to compare, they're two different classes of restaurant.
I would think that a more relaxed atmosphere (that alone after a day at the parks is worth it) and
signiture quality food would be better(for me anyway).
Have a fun trip!

We will be eating at JIKO for the 1st time this upcoming trip because
I am grossed out by Buffets. I havn't ate at Boma yet, but don't have a desire.

If you like buffets I'm sure you will be OK with Boma.
I'm also not one who likes to eat an appetizer because it makes me to full. You've never tried Jikos
so you wouldn't have anything to compare, they're two different classes of restaurant.
I would think that a more relaxed atmosphere (that alone after a day at the parks is worth it) and
signiture quality food would be better(for me anyway).
Have a fun trip!

Boma is a pretty High Standard Buffet...not your typical slopfest.:rolleyes:

By the way, I am VERY GLAD I cancelled Jiko....read this thread for some recent reviews: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2468048&highlight=sanaa

Seriously, Applebee's? Boma can in no way, shape or form be compared to this place. Maybe Applebee's in other areas are better, but the ones we have in our area are very mediocre at best.

Plus, the type of cuisine could not be further apart.

We love Boma, it's one of THE best buffets on property. It's a must-do.

Taking into consideration the mass-production of the food, I feel the food is VERY high quality.

Have not been to Jiko, mainly because we're not yet willing to part with one of our TS credits. But would like to try one day. I've read lots of great reviews for Sanaa, so we may end up doing that one before trying Jiko.

Well. I am not going to be ordering and paying for salads/apps at Jiko.

I would order the Fillet of Beef.

So, Boma has a very nice prime rib station PLUS the benefit of numerous other dishes/salads/apps.

Hard to choose, PLUS, jiko is 2 credits.....Hmmm this requires contemplation.

Not only has the appetizer been removed from the basic dining plan since 2008, Boma no longer has prime rib on the buffet. It's a sirloin roast, I believe. Disney has changed a lot of food items in the past couple years, and that's one of the items that took the hit.

But I still like Boma. They have the best soup variety I've seen. I'm a big soup person. :goodvibes

Seriously, Applebee's? Boma can in no way, shape or form be compared to this place. Maybe Applebee's in other areas are better, but the ones we have in our area are very mediocre at best.
Applebee's is pretty good here; and that's what Boma is: pretty good, not better. The point was with to provide the OP a reasonable comparison of Boma to Jiko. That's what Boma stacks up for me. I thought that was pretty clear from what I wrote.

Have not been to Jiko, mainly because we're not yet willing to part with one of our TS credits. But would like to try one day. I've read lots of great reviews for Sanaa, so we may end up doing that one before trying Jiko.
Sanaa is "just okay" - a step above Boma, perhaps, but a really small step above afaic.

IMG_2113-1.jpg
HERE ARE SOME SHOTS OF SANAA. THAT BIRD WATCHED US ALL DINNER:rotfl2: WE HAVE EATEN AT SANAA, BOMA, AND JIKO. THE 3 ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. WE BOOK BOMA EVERYTIME WE GO, WE EVEN HAVE THEIR RECIPES FOR A COUPLE OF THERE DISHES. IT MAY BE A BUFFET BUT THE FOOD IS BETTER AND DIFFERENT. YOU MUST SAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT. WE LIKE SANAA, ITS QUIET AND INTERESTING VIEW OF SAVANNAH.

I think for me, the atmosphere really sets these two apart. I could see how if you are not a foodie and are the average American diner, the finer distinction between the culinary experiences might be missed in back-to-back meals at these two venues. However, NO ONE will be able to compare the two experiences. In one, you sit in a quiet dining room and are waited on by professional waitstaff, your food is brought to you, the presentation (ie plating, garnishes, etc) is beautiful. The menu can and will be tailored to your requests (allergy, preference, dietary quirk? the chef will help) At the other, the waitstaff can be great or lacking, you get your own food, you pretty much get what's there, and if you have an allergy they'll point out what you shouldn't eat, but if you don't like what remains, your pretty much stuck with it. If you are looking for a tasty meal at the cheapest price (in credits) then Boma may be for you. We never do DDP so I actually spend less at Jiko then I would at Boma, but I'm not a big eater. And at the end of a day of screaming masses and hot sun, I love nothing more than to sit in a quiet Signature restaurant and be waited on.

I have to laugh a bit at the "foodies".

Frankly, I consider myself a food lover, and a hobby chef.

That being said, I prefer to try dishes that I cannot easily make or find locally.

Boma offer MANY dishes that fit the above.

Looking at Jiko, the Fillet of Beef with "mac and cheese" :rolleyes: would be my choice.

I can GARUNTEE (cajun accent on) that I can grill a fillet as good as ANYONE. Period.

Unless things have Drastically changed at Boma (since Oct 2007) we will have a great meal and great time. I am disappointed in the fact that apparently they have gone with sirloin instead of prime rib...BUT, again, if you know how to do a roast...it should be AOK.:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts