Things to do in Tokyo

Haley R

DIS Veteran
I feel like I got a lot of good suggestions/recommendations in my day trip thread so I wanted to start a new one for just Tokyo. It will be dh, me, and ds (4). We have a list of things we want to do and see but I love getting feedback or new ideas. These are the ideas we currently have:
  • Teamlab borderless-Azabudai Hills
  • Warner bros studio tour
  • Fire museum and toy museum
  • Tokyo dome rides and baseball game
  • Ueno zoo and park
  • Harajuku and Takeshita st
  • Kidzania
  • Pokémon cafe
  • Shinjuku National garden
  • Shibuya crossing, Disney store, Hachiko statue
  • Claw machines
  • Yomiuriland
  • Tama zoo
  • Imperial palace-east gardens
  • Yoyogi park
    • Pony park, meiji jingu and garden, bike rentals
  • Taiko drumming

Last edited:
If you decide you aren't up for a full amusement park day (yomiuriland) but want to head out to western Tokyo, check out Tachikawa. They have a huge park there, with boats, bicycle rentals, horseshoes, a tea house, etc. Interesting history of those grounds too if you are a history buff.

Yomiuriland doesn't have to be a full amusement park day though. You can get a ticket that includes access to Hana Biyori botanical garden next door. Or with kids, you can also spend part of the day at the indoor playground next door. And Yomiuriland has a lot of small workshops for an additional fee so there's things to do even if the rides don't seem interesting.

If you like Ghibli films, then there's a really fun Ghibli museum in Tokyo. There's also a giant clock designed by Miyazaki in Shiodome (Tokyo).

If you like Ghibli films, then there's a really fun Ghibli museum in Tokyo. There's also a giant clock designed by Miyazaki in Shiodome (Tokyo).
Dh and I did the Ghibli museum when we went in 2019 and didn’t like it. Our son loves Totoro though.

Yomiuriland doesn't have to be a full amusement park day though.

Whaaaaat!?! This concept is foreign to me. You get me in a theme park, it's hard to get me out. :cool1: And I'm getting close to 60. Just love them... Granted the Illumination in the Winter makes it more so a full day for me...

But seriously, a good point to mention to the OP.

Whaaaaat!?! This concept is foreign to me. You get me in a theme park, it's hard to get me out. :cool1: And I'm getting close to 60. Just love them... Granted the Illumination in the Winter makes it more so a full day for me...

But seriously, a good point to mention to the OP.
I feel like if we go all the way there it will probably a whole day thing but I do appreciate knowing there’s a botanical garden next to it in case we want to switch things up. Ds loves rides and amusement parks so I could see us being there awhile. But we’ll be spending so much time at Disney I’m not sure we want to do too many other amusement parks

Do you like theater? I'd say a production at the Kabuki-za is a must-do. I went every chance I could when I was in Tokyo.

The other thing I can recommend is spending as much time walking around as possible. There is so much visual excitement in Tokyo.

When are you going to be there? If it's in cherry blossom season, there's a ton of cherry blossom sites. Also, if you're there during baseball season and you like baseball, that would be something to consider. I'm sorry I didn't do this when I was there.

Do you like theater? I'd say a production at the Kabuki-za is a must-do. I went every chance I could when I was in Tokyo.
That might be tricky with a young child. I've only been to Kabukiza once, but the show went on for hours. Everyone else knew to bring some food with them to eat during intermission, but we hadn't realized just how long a kabuki show could be! Kids might like some parts (especially if you get a lion dance or something similar), but I can't imagine a kid sitting through the longer, more dramatic parts.

That might be tricky with a young child. I've only been to Kabukiza once, but the show went on for hours. Everyone else knew to bring some food with them to eat during intermission, but we hadn't realized just how long a kabuki show could be! Kids might like some parts (especially if you get a lion dance or something similar), but I can't imagine a kid sitting through the longer, more dramatic parts.
I was unaware that the OP was traveling with children. Well, I would've loved the kabuki when I was a kid, so it's still a possibility.

There were a number of food vendors at the Kabuki-za when I was there. I remember thinking it was too bad the Met didn't have that many choices--or such reasonable prices for food.

It goes on for hours? It seemed like seconds to me!!!

I was unaware that the OP was traveling with children. Well, I would've loved the kabuki when I was a kid, so it's still a possibility.

There were a number of food vendors at the Kabuki-za when I was there. I remember thinking it was too bad the Met didn't have that many choices--or such reasonable prices for food.

I forgot to mention who all is going since I did that in my other post. Ds will be 4 when we go. I don’t think he would sit through any kind of show. We have a baseball game as an option but it’s kind of the same where I don’t know if he’ll sit through it. Dh and I did a baseball game when we went in 2019 and had fun

I think we ended up going to a special performance. They had a somewhat interesting play that lasted about an hour, then part of an old drama that seemed to go on for ages, then a special ceremony to congratulate someone who was taking on a new family name, and then finally a short lion dance. Overall, the performance was at least five hours. We got out so late that almost everything else was closed and we ended up getting some McDonald's near the train station.

I enjoyed most of it, though. I just don't think it's very kid-friendly (for most kids!).

I forgot to mention who all is going since I did that in my other post. Ds will be 4 when we go. I don’t think he would sit through any kind of show. We have a baseball game as an option but it’s kind of the same where I don’t know if he’ll sit through it. Dh and I did a baseball game when we went in 2019 and had fun
Aha! Now it's all clear to me.

What did I miss when I was in Japan? Tokyo Disney!!!! I am still kicking myself over that since I may never get back to Japan. Boo hoo hoo!

My 2.5 year old absolutely LOVED all of the indoor playgrounds we visited, for example: https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/en/tourists/asobono/

I'm not sure whether they would appeal as much to a four year old, but I would expect so.
I actually have that one on a separate list! I have a whole other list full of parks and playgrounds 😆 I think he would still have fun at an indoor playground and it would be a good rainy day thing to do

If you are Harry Potter fans the Harry Potter Brothers Studio Tour is great. We felt well worth the four hours, with good spacing, nice mix of photo ops and interactive exhibits and great HP stuff to buy and you can get a meal and snacks there.

We went to Disney stores in Shinjuku, Shibuya and Kyoto and found them underwhelming. Bon Voyage, Disneyland Hotel store and shops in parks had better selection and items.

We did Meiji Jingo shrine and thought it was well worth a visit if you are nearby. Hamarikyu Gardens also nice if you happen to be down that way.

Hit tourist places like Asakusa and Harajuku early before the crowds!
I actually have that one on a separate list! I have a whole other list full of parks and playgrounds 😆 I think he would still have fun at an indoor playground and it would be a good rainy day thing to do

We went to Disney stores in Shinjuku, Shibuya and Kyoto and found them underwhelming. Bon Voyage, Disneyland Hotel store and shops in parks had better selection and items.

Bon Voyage and the Disneyland Hotel sell parks merchandise while the Disney stores have things that aren't in the parks stores like cheap pins and Unibearsity items. I sometimes find interesting practical items and some really good deals at the Disney stores.

Since the pandemic, the Disney stores in Japan also became a secondary dumping site for leftover US parks merch. Last month I saw an entire section of WDW parks merch being sold at 50-70% off at the Disney store in Shibuya. It really depends on what you're interested in.

If you are Harry Potter fans the Harry Potter Brothers Studio Tour is great. We felt well worth the four hours, with good spacing, nice mix of photo ops and interactive exhibits and great HP stuff to buy and you can get a meal and snacks there.

We did Meiji Jingo shrine and thought it was well worth a visit if you are nearby. Hamarikyu Gardens also nice if you happen to be down that way.

Hit tourist places like Asakusa and Harajuku early before the crowds!
We have the Warner Brother studio tour on our list of things to do. We will be staying right next to Meiji Jingu and Yoyogi park so we plan to go over there probably more than once. I think we’re skipping Asakusa this time. We went last time and didn’t really enjoy it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter