Theft in park

That is what I was taught to do by my own mother not even a month ago so where are you supposed to store your purse when you go out to eat
Some women carry a purse hook in their bag that hooks on to the table then you can hang your bag from it. I try not to hang my bag on a chair when the chair back is towards a pathway, Ill hang it on a chair with it's back to the wall.

Parks are no safer(theft) than anywhere else. I never understand why people think Disney is any different than anywhere else. I would never leave a bag unattended ANYWHERE. It's like women who walk away from a grocery cart and leave their purse sitting in it. Why would you think that is okay? Someone from Italy should know. Pickpockets are very common in tourist areas there and have been forever. I was in Italy in 1982 and we were warned then to not leave anything unattended and be careful with bags.

Clearly she should not have left her belongings unattended and if she or you thought "it's Disney no one will steal this" you are living in a fantasy world.
Sure people don't go there looking to steal items but it was easy pickens.
Also I'd have more sympathy if it was more of a situation where you had all eaten and then left the restaurant and a few minutes later she remembered that she didn't have her stuff... but she literally set it down and knowingly walked away from it to "look around".

That is what I was taught to do by my own mother not even a month ago so where are you supposed to store your purse when you go out to eat

Many people have purse hangers that go on the edge of the table.
Personally I don't.
If I'm against a wall I will hang it on the chair.
If I'm out in the open but in a location of the restaurant that is not frequented with people walking by I generally feel safe enough to hang it on the chair.
If the seat next to me is empty or I'm in a booth I set it next to me.
If I'm out in the open in a crowded restaurant then I either... use a crossbody purse and leave it on me, set it on my lap, or when need be I will set it on the floor between my feet. I know some think setting your purse on the floor is "disgusting" but I'm not terribly concerned with germs and dirt. I also don't have terribly expensive purses either lol.

On your lap. Or on the tabletop, if small. Anywhere you can actually see it at all times. Crossbody bags work well, also.

Sometimes I'll hang in on my knee, with the bag itself between my ankles.

On your lap. Or on the tabletop, if small. Anywhere you can actually see it at all times. Crossbody bags work well, also.

Sometimes I'll hang in on my knee, with the bag itself between my ankles.

That's what I do, hang it on my leg or wrap the straps around my feet or legs. It sounds funny, but it also helps me not forget to take it when I leave the table.

My mother always told me to keep money and wallet items in the front pockets of my shorts or jeans. Bags are so easy to grab and run with and you can accidentally leave them. Having all the important stuff on your body is the safest.

This is no surprise. It will continue to happen as long as people are not vigilant.
Sad, but no surprise. Too many dishonest people, who will take anything that isn't nailed down.

A few years ago, DH left our camera bag in EPCOT (ironically in Italy) It wasn't turned in to lost and found, but about a week later, it arrived on our doorstep. Not only was a total stranger honest..they paid to ship it to us anonymously!

OP, so sorry this happened to your niece. Not a happy memory for her first visit to Disney. I hope she enjoys the rest of her trip!

Never ever hang you bag on the back of the chair

I put my bag
on my lap
at my feet
if Im sitting at a bench type seat I put the bag beside me and put my arm through the handle, / strap as I eat
If I just have a small purse I wouldnt even put that on the table, I sit on it. The same with my phone, I wont put that on the table as I eat.
I dont even put my bag on the chair beside me.

I am always aware that it just takes seconds for someone to walk past and grab my bag or purse, especially if you are eating and not as conscious of who is around you. That kid who walks into your table while carrying a tray, yes he will swipe your purse, that adult looking harassed who asks you for directions is actually a decoy distracting you while their friend or kid swipes your bag. Always think like this and you will keep your belongings safe.

Most thefts of bags or purses are opportunists looking for easy targets. Dont be that east target

my 16 year old niece flew in from Italy last Wednesday. We surprised her by taking her to Disney since she has never been there. We go to the park Saturday night. She has a small backpack that she carries personal items in. While my wife and I are ordering food at a counter service restaurant, my niece and my daughter walk around the restaurant. She leaves her personal belongings at table. We get to table and wave her over. She comes and asks if we put her bag away. She starts panicking that her bag is gone. An employee comes over who then calls security. They take a report and our contact info. About 30 minutes later I get a call that they found the bag in a restroom). Her money is gone obviously but they left her Id (thankfully her passport was in hotel) and a few other items. There was only about $100 so not out a lot. Just be aware that there are thieves in the park. There are cameras that they will look over.

She left her bag sitting on a table and walked away??

Many people have purse hangers that go on the edge of the table.
Personally I don't.
If I'm against a wall I will hang it on the chair.
If I'm out in the open but in a location of the restaurant that is not frequented with people walking by I generally feel safe enough to hang it on the chair.
If the seat next to me is empty or I'm in a booth I set it next to me.
If I'm out in the open in a crowded restaurant then I either... use a crossbody purse and leave it on me, set it on my lap, or when need be I will set it on the floor between my feet. I know some think setting your purse on the floor is "disgusting" but I'm not terribly concerned with germs and dirt. I also don't have terribly expensive purses either lol.

I usually do that too.

It's a kid. I've been around a lot of teenagers, and by and large, "vigilant" is not a word I would use to describe them. I've also been to Disney with my nephew, who has wandered off leaving the one thing he was carrying at least once every trip. Luckily, between all of us checking behind him, we've not lost anything. It's a good reminder for anyone (and a hard learned lesson for the girl involved) to keep an eye on their things (and on the things belonging to their party) I'm glad the bag/ID were found.

It is always good to have the reminder that anything you leave unattended could possibly be stolen. We knew we could replace diapers, wipes, fish crackers and a change of clothes when we chose to leave our diaper bag in the stroller.

I do not see the need for all of the victim shaming.

Dang....I don't even leave my purse sitting in a pew at church!!!! If no one is going to be sitting close to it while I'm not there, it goes with me. I can't imagine putting it down on a chair in WDW and then walking away. May as well put a 'take me' sign on it!! But, I'm glad she got it back..hard lesson to learn though.

I'm sorry this happened!!!
I used to leave my purse hidden in my car while at the gym (as most women do) and someone broke my passenger side window and stole everything... Learned my lesson. I never leave my purse anywhere unattended, stays with me at all times. It's a hassle to replace everything, New bank account etc. So thankfully it was just the $100!

She left her bag sitting on a table and walked away??
Yes it was with the stroller. She put it on the stroller seat assuming no one will touch it. It's a very small backpack big enough for a wallet and a few small items. We think it was some teenagers who were watching what she was doing with the bag. The reason why I say this is because there were a group of boys that seemed to be everywhere we were. they were even in the restaurant we were dining at. After the theft, did not see again. We live not too far from south beach. I told her never do that again since Miami has really good pickpockets/thieves.

The reason why I brought this to everyone's attention is because we frequent Disney a lot in the fall-spring (this was a rare occasion). We see many strollers with the diaper bags still attached parked while the family is on a ride. I have even on occasion seen camera bags on strollers left alone. Disney is not as safe as everyone makes it to be. Theft happens everywhere. We learned that the hard way a few years ago when someone stole our really nice stroller from Epcot. We assumed it was safe being parked with the other strollers. Guess not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter