The wonderful dilemma with swimsuits

The bathing suit from Amazon is really cute! But hey, we are all in the same boat down there. We all have some lumps and bulges but who cares? We go on vacation to have fun! Also, WDW is the one place I can go swimming where I don't feel self conscious. Enjoy - and get that cute suit from Amazon! :goodvibes

The bathing suit from Amazon is really cute! But hey, we are all in the same boat down there. We all have some lumps and bulges but who cares? We go on vacation to have fun! Also, WDW is the one place I can go swimming where I don't feel self conscious. Enjoy - and get that cute suit from Amazon! :goodvibes

AMEN! I still have some growing up to do, but i'm learning to care less and less about how I look in a suit. I want one that's flattering, but i'm not out to impress anyone. All i'm looking for is something that makes me feel good about myself. :cheer2:

well, i have the same problem in that my top half is extremely out of proportion with my bottom half. i wear an XL (DD) on top and a small on the bottom. because i need *ahem* extra support i unfortunately have to spend a lot of money on expensive/supportive swimsuit tops. i always have to get mix and match separates so i can get different sizes. i usually go to macys or some specialty swim stores (such as everything but water) but be prepared to spend a lot on a bathingsuit (like $100) i know it kind of stinks but i really can't fit into anything else. think of it this way... its an investment that you know your body is going to look its best (like getting a really good bra!)

I like skirted bottoms with tankini tops, I think they look better one me than the swim dresses. I've had a few from Lands End that were very nice, a couple from Target that I liked except the bras weren't the best. My 2 favorite suits right now I bought at Disney at POP and Blizzard Beach. They
are both excellent quality and cost about $100. Made by Christina. I hope there are more when I go back!

I've needed a new suit for years. I don't use one often (maybe a trip to TL or BB once every year or two), but the one I have is so discolored and stretched out. But I hate going shopping for swimwear; it's so depressing. :)

The Lands End options look great - thanks for posting about those. But I've never been able to buy swimwear without first trying on dozens. Even if they are my 'size' only perhaps 1 in 20 actually does fit. How do you all ensure you are selecting the right size and style when you mail order?

Susan

Well my theory is who cares what anybody else thinks! Wear that you are comfortable in and enjoy yourself. Trust me though, except for maybe some teenagers who aren't matured yet and don't necessarily think before well thinking idiotic thoughts nobody will take issue or notice. Smile, have fun and enjoy the water.

I am by no means thin (boy do i wish I could eat like my hubby and keep slim) lol but I still get out there and enjoy the water.

I am up in Canada so I can't really recommend anywhere to go shopping but when I was at POR they had some adorable bathing suits there for all sizes!

Can't really suggest what you should do. I'm a size 10 and when I go swimming I wear my Bathers and then I throw on shorts and a tee over them. I then go swimming in this. I'm more comfortable in this and to protect yourself from the sun you should wear a tee anyway. Plus if you go to a waterpark and go on a slide if your top comes off your covered - lol and no I'm not speaking from experience.

For daily water aerobics, I wear speedo racing back style but others wear bikinis. When on vacation, I generally bring a tankini but also throw in my one piece as I try to do 3-4 regular swims to counteract the calories.:rotfl2: I always bring a t-shirt to pool because I hate to get sunburned.

DD brings surfer shorts and binkini top as she, like others is not the same size through the top as the bottom. Our theory has always been, to enjoy ourselves at the pool and be comfortable and not worry about what others think. Besides, what is the chance that we are ever going to see other vacationers again and they are going to remember how we looked in our swim suits???:scared1:

LL Bean is a good place for modest suits also! Ii might not be the nicest thing to think but I always tell myself that some one is going to look worse than me :lmao: Now going to the gym is the place I have a problem!

I gave up a long time ago on swim suits. I am a small person, and I'm in my early 50's, but I'll just say that gravity takes a toll over an extended period of time. I don't have a problem wearing a pair of shorts and a tank top and sitting by the pool. If YOU feel comfortable wearing a bikini or any type of swim suit, then I say go for it. As long as you are having a good time and enjoying yourself, that's all that really matters.

I'm a huge fan of the Lands End ones too. I love the mix and match pieces so I can find just what I need. I love the tops that have underwires in them so I feel nice and secure. I usually go with the shorts for the bottoms. I feel most comfortable that way out in public, but the skirts work pretty well too.

Honey, throw on a one piece with shorts and have a ball!! Vacations are for fun, not worrying!!

But seriously, I have some great tankinis from Target that are a top that completely covers the upper portion and a bottom that are shorts. I have found that this really works for me...or sometimes I do the shorts over the bathing suit.

Have a great vacation!

I have more than a few curves and I like the tankinis from target too! They are full coverage, but cute styles. I also bought a tankini from Old Navy (plus size) that I really like!

I thought I would like the skirts, but they make my thighs look too big!

Just look at it this way....you'll never see any of those people again, anyway.:goodvibes

I too have felt uncomfortable in a swim suit. Last year my family and I went to WDW I brought a swim skirt and a big t-shirt to cover up with. I too am a size 14. I got to the pool - and guess what - I didn't feel uncomfortable in my swimsuit! Out of all of the ladies there, most of us were of "curvaceous" body quality. There were very few that were small and in bikinis unless they were teenagers. I decided that I would just enjoy myself. So, find a swimsuit you feel comfortable in - and just enjoy - don't worry about it!!

IOut of all of the ladies there, most of us were of "curvaceous" body quality. There were very few that were small and in bikinis unless they were teenagers.

That's because that is what the *real* world looks like!! Unfortunately, we are brainwashed to think otherwise, and end up feeling badly about ourselves.

Wear what *you* feel comfortable in, and have a great time. :thumbsup2

I love tankinis too because of the two pieces. No tugging, pulling, and when you need to use the ladies room, you don't have to strip everything down! Lands End all the way girls! All of the suits come from there.

I'd suggest Land's End, too. My aunt is bigger and she always goes to LE and their tankinis and one-pieces make her feel and look great!

well, i have the same problem in that my top half is extremely out of proportion with my bottom half. i wear an XL (DD) on top and a small on the bottom. because i need *ahem* extra support i unfortunately have to spend a lot of money on expensive/supportive swimsuit tops. i always have to get mix and match separates so i can get different sizes. i usually go to macys or some specialty swim stores (such as everything but water) but be prepared to spend a lot on a bathingsuit (like $100) i know it kind of stinks but i really can't fit into anything else.

This is exactly why I started buying my swimsuits from Land's End. They don't have as many styles for the larger cup sizes, but I think I had a choice of 5-6 styles with lots of colors & pattens within the selection. They also have one-piece suits for both long and short torsos in some styles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter