The Wardrobe Malfunction Trip 14 - Kennedy Space Centre and Tom Jones

spookysarah

DIS Veteran
Kennedy Space Centre and Tom Jones

Me, Sarah 31 – chief planner, lover of all things Disney
DH, Craig, 34 – driver and foodie
DD, Holly, 10 – loves characters and especially drawing them
DD, Rowan, 8 – not going upside down this year!
3 newbies -
My mum, Shona, 50 - big kid and possible thrill junkie
My dad, Alastair, 57 – the banker and carrier bag holder
My sister, Mel, 29 – doesn’t do characters and slightly bemused by the 'Disney thing'

3rd October 2007

Today was scorchio! Rowan was feeling a little bit better and so we headed to IHOP for breakfast before setting of for Kennedy Space Centre. It felt good to be going on a road trip but the drive was fairly boring as the road was so straight and the scenery barely changed. Towards the end of the drive we saw dolphins in the sea which was a bonus.

Sleepyheads in the back
Florida2007GM203800x600.jpg

On arrival at KSC and after picking up park maps it was obvious that we would not be able to do and see everything. We all decided to go and watch the IMAX film Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon. It was amazing and one of those times when you realise you are so small and the universe is so big. I think everyone came out feeling the same. We braved the heat and had a wander around the Rocket Garden while Holly and Rowan had fun in the adventure playground.

IMG_1156600x800.jpg

IMG_1159800x600.jpg

Now it was time for Mr Tom Jones! No – put your knickers back, not THAT Tom Jones but Tom Jones the astronaut! We were doing the Lunch with an Astronaut experience. A lovely buffet lunch was set up and everyone but Rowan tucked in. We had plenty time to eat before Tom came in and took to the floor to tell us about his exciting career and his time in space. He introduced a film showing him working and having fun in the space station before offering to take questions. His answers were good and he kept to language we could understand, I asked if he had ever been ill in space and he assured me that it was a problem everyone had to face at some time. After lunch was over he posed for photos. This was a brilliant part to our day and will be remembered for a long time to come.

IMG_1175800x600.jpg

Florida2007GM209800x600.jpg

Ladies and gentleman – Mr Tom Jones!
IMG_1180800x600.jpg

Florida2007GM211800x600.jpg

We split up at this point with mum, dad and Mel deciding to go on the bus tour. We were intending to stay in the complex but at the lat minute hopped on a bus too. The narration on the buess was excellent and the buses were comfortable and nice and cool. Various things of interest were pointed out as we drove past. Our first stop was LC39 Observation Gantry. From the top we could see the Launch Control Centre, the huge crawlerway and the massive Vehicle Assembly Building. Better than any of that was the sight of a ‘bird on the pad,’ Discovery. What an amazing thing to see so close.

Normal view
IMG_1194800x600.jpg

On full zoom
IMG_1197800x600.jpg

The bus tour is a hop on, hop off experience so you can stay as long as you like at each location. There is never a long wait for the next bus. The next stop was the Apollo / Saturn V Centre. Here you can see a real Saturn rocket as well as touch a piece of moon rock. There are lots of fascinating exhibits for those that can remember the race to the moon and leaves those that are too young how they ever managed it back then. There is a very cool photo studio where you can get put into a space photo for a mere $30 or thereabouts. On returning home and showing this photo to my uncle he asked what space was like before realising what we had done, lol!

IMG_1414800x600.jpg

IMG_1170800x600.jpg

IMG_1215800x600.jpg

IMG_1228800x600.jpg

IMG_1216800x600.jpg

IMG_1219800x600.jpg

Our last stop was the International Space Station Centre where you can walk through mock up parts of the ISS. Everyone was commenting on the toilet facilities and we were not the only ones snapping pics of it! This is a working facility and it was interesting to see components being assembled for the ISS.

The toilet
IMG_1235600x800.jpg

On our return to the visitor centre Craig went to do the Shuttle Launch Experience while the girls and I grabbed some ice creams and sat in the shade. The wait was not long and he was soon back telling us that it was great fun. We all headed into the space shuttle replica, Explorer which I have to say was a little bit of a disappointment as all the interesting displays were behind glass. Still, it was good to get a feel for the cramped conditions astronauts work in.

IMG_1183800x600-1.jpg

At the end of our busy day we spent some time and money in the gift shop before heading to Downtown Disney. I had a few things to pick up for Dibbers and we decided to have dinner at the Earl Of Sandwich again. We bought a few things in the shops before heading over to Epcot. I had some more items to buy for Dibbers and my sister headed to Japan to buy a Feng Shui cat – yes really! Everyone else was to pooped to party and waited in the car.

Finally, after a very busy day we arrived back at the hotel. Sleep came quick that night!

Tomorrow – Cannibals roam at MNSSHP

Lovely day, nice to visit KSC at least once. The journey there is boring though.

we haven't been to ksc for ages - it looks much improved - love the piccies

Kennedy Space Centre is my 2nd favorate place in Orlando after Epcot. We were lucky enough to be in Orlando for a shuttle launch and that hyped up my interest in KSC

Kennedy Space Centre is my 2nd favorate place in Orlando after Epcot. We were lucky enough to be in Orlando for a shuttle launch and that hyped up my interest in KSC

I agree. We saw one from Sanford airport lounge on our way home in 2006, amazing stuff even from so far away. Hope to go back to KSC next year.

Reading your report I might go back to KSC one day. We went in 1991 and have never been back since. It has obviously improved immensely since then:rotfl2:

I am enjoying your reports:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter