The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I would appreciate a little advice from all you Grand Californian experts :goodvibes

I'm thinking of trying to grab a studio for 5 nights in either March or April 2015

Looking at the availability tool on the DVC website, I could call today and get a studio (7 month window) for all 5 nights in March BUT if I hold off until the April dates are available for me to book, the same 5 nights would cost me a lot less in points if I go later in the month

Is it unusual that I am seeing 5 consecutive nights in a studio available at my 7 month window? if it is I guess I should grab that room now

Alternatively, I could sit tight for April :confused3

I know this is a tough one to definitively answer but your experience with studio availability at 7 months would be great to hear :thumbsup2

I would appreciate a little advice from all you Grand Californian experts :goodvibes I'm thinking of trying to grab a studio for 5 nights in either March or April 2015 Looking at the availability tool on the DVC website, I could call today and get a studio (7 month window) for all 5 nights in March BUT if I hold off until the April dates are available for me to book, the same 5 nights would cost me a lot less in points if I go later in the month Is it unusual that I am seeing 5 consecutive nights in a studio available at my 7 month window? if it is I guess I should grab that room now Alternatively, I could sit tight for April :confused3 I know this is a tough one to definitively answer but your experience with studio availability at 7 months would be great to hear :thumbsup2

Tricky to say.

Safest would be to book the March dates and then wait to see if the dates you were looking at in April are available and switch if they are.

Tricky to say.

Safest would be to book the March dates and then wait to see if the dates you were looking at in April are available and switch if they are.

I agree with this. April is spring break for a lot of people and with the lower points, it might be more desireable for others as well.

Tricky to say.

Thanks
I have been thinking about doing this but in order to book the March dates, I would need to buy some one time use points.
If the April dates then become available, I would need less points overall and wouldn't nee to buy any extra so I'm not sure what would happen to the one time points I had already bought :confused3

Thanks
I have been thinking about doing this but in order to book the March dates, I would need to buy some one time use points.
If the April dates then become available, I would need less points overall and wouldn't nee to buy any extra so I'm not sure what would happen to the one time points I had already bought :confused3

You should double check with MS but I think that you could use them on the April reservation if that were available. It does complicate things though for cancelling and rebooking.

Thanks

You should double check with MS but I think that you could use them on the April reservation if that were available. It does complicate things though for cancelling and rebooking.

You would be able to use the one time use points for the April reservation, however you could not "cancel" them (i.e., return them to Disney for a refund), nor can those points be banked. Furthermore, I would caution you if you are borrowing points to book the March reservation, since those borrowed points also could not be "un-borrowed."

I suppose your situation depends on how much of a gambler you are... In my personal opinion, if you are seeing the availability now for the dates you want in April '15 (i.e., 8 months away, only 1 month until the 7-mth window opens), the chances are pretty good that those dates will still be available when you reach your 7-mth window. The reason -- most owners who book early have already snagged the dates they want, during months 9-11. You will be competing for the remaining rooms mainly with other non-owners.

This is just my opinion, for what it's worth. :)

Thanks I have been thinking about doing this but in order to book the March dates, I would need to buy some one time use points. If the April dates then become available, I would need less points overall and wouldn't nee to buy any extra so I'm not sure what would happen to the one time points I had already bought :confused3

I've picked up one time points on 2 different occasions. If you need fewer point for April you could use the one time points first and then your regular points. As long as the points left over are current year and within your banking window you are going to be fine.

Thanks for the advice everyone
I am going to hold my nerve and try for the April dates at 7 months
My flight price from the UK is the same for both March and April but the April points cost is far less and I wouldn't need to buy one time use points or borrow from 2016
I will be stalking the availability tool until my 7 month window opens!

I would appreciate a little advice from all you Grand Californian experts :goodvibes I'm thinking of trying to grab a studio for 5 nights in either March or April 2015 Looking at the availability tool on the DVC website, I could call today and get a studio (7 month window) for all 5 nights in March BUT if I hold off until the April dates are available for me to book, the same 5 nights would cost me a lot less in points if I go later in the month Is it unusual that I am seeing 5 consecutive nights in a studio available at my 7 month window? if it is I guess I should grab that room now Alternatively, I could sit tight for April :confused3 I know this is a tough one to definitively answer but your experience with studio availability at 7 months would be great to hear :thumbsup2

What are your April dates?

We are renting a 2 bedroom at GCV in September. One of our travelers is a 3 year old who always ends up sleeping at the foot of our bed, no matter where she starts out :). I've heard that sometimes the GC gives those out, does anyone know if the GCV does also?

...I've heard that sometimes the GC gives those out, does anyone know if the GCV does also?
The pads and sleeping bags are used to increase occupancy of hotel rooms, usually for the 5th guest in a room with 2 queen beds. All VGC rooms have enough beds to accommodate the occupancy limit, so there might be a policy against providing sleeping bags for the villas.

If sleeping bags are not available, you could move the mattress from the murphy bed :idea:

The pads and sleeping bags are used to increase occupancy of hotel rooms, usually for the 5th guest in a room with 2 queen beds. All VGC rooms have enough beds to accommodate the occupancy limit, so there might be a policy against providing sleeping bags for the villas.

If sleeping bags are not available, you could move the mattress from the murphy bed :idea:

Thanks, nonsuch! Great suggestion!

Hi all VGC owner,

Would someone be willing to look up for me if there is studio availability April 4-11 or 5-12? I would really appreciate anyone who would be willing to do this for me.

I am asking because I am considering trying to rent points and don't want to go through all the hassle of trying to find points if a room is not available.

Thanks very much!

Hi all VGC owner,

Would someone be willing to look up for me if there is studio availability April 4-11 or 5-12? I would really appreciate anyone who would be willing to do this for me.

I am asking because I am considering trying to rent points and don't want to go through all the hassle of trying to find points if a room is not available.

Thanks very much!

Yes, there is a studio available for all of your dates at the moment.

facebook twitter